Search for content in message boards

Indian Massacre at Surprise Valley - Modoc County. Ca

Indian Massacre at Surprise Valley - Modoc County. Ca

Posted: 21 Oct 2005 10:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Oct 2005 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: Oliver
Does anybody know anything about an Indian Massacre that happened in Surprise Valley in 1861?
My GGGGrandfather, Stephen Oliver, was killed there on his way to the Gold Rush.
Are there any books or newspaper articles? Where would he be buried.
Thanks, Nancy

Re: Indian Massacre at Surprise Valley - Modoc County. Ca

Posted: 31 Jul 2006 4:36AM GMT
Nancy,

I lived in Surprise Valley for awhile when I was a kid. In school I remember our teacher talking about the massacre up on Fandago pass. The site is located Northeast side of Surprise Valley up on the Warner moutains. the elevation is about 6500 ft. Its also about 6 miles from the town of Fort Bidwell. I have some books about the history of Surprise Valley. I will try and find them.

Paul

Nancy Stonebraker (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2006 8:06PM GMT
Surnames: Oliver
Thanks Paul,
Stephen Oliver left with his son, Carcillus, in 1850 from Beloit, WI, with a wagon train to go to the Gold Fields. Stephen came back about 1856 leaving his son to mine a quartz vein. In 1861 Stephen returned to bring his son home. On the return, according to some written and family history, their group of about 100 men were massacred in Surprise Valley. Carcillus was supposedly kidnapped then escaped. I found an obit in Beloit, WI for his death in July 1862 from Florence, Oregon. So anything you could find about 1861-1862 massacres would be most helpful.
Thanks, Nancy

Posted: 3 Jun 2007 7:48PM GMT
Surnames: rachford
Hi Paul -

My gggrandfather C.C. Rachford was wounded in a "hostile indian battle at Fandango Pass" - I'm wondering if it's the same one? From family narratives I recently found it doesn't sound like he ever had full use of his arm again. He later became the 3rd Sheriff of Modoc Country, despite his injuries.

If you found out anything, I'd love to know more.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Posted: 9 Nov 2007 4:01AM GMT
Rebecca,

What part of Modoc County did your greatgreatgrandfather settle in? When did he become Sheriff of Modoc County? I have some books I bought at the museum in Alturas. There is some information about the early settlers crossing Fandago pass.

Paul

Posted: 10 Nov 2007 11:30PM GMT
Would there be anything about a massacre in 1861 in Surprise Valley, with about 100 men being killed?

Thanks, Nancy
Nanellen@prodigy.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions