Search for content in message boards

Stephenson County Marriage Records

Stephenson County Marriage Records

Mark Hayden (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2001 9:33PM GMT
Surnames: Bolton, Scovill
How difficult is it to get marriage records from the mid 1800s from the County Clerk's office in Freeport? It's too bad they are one of the few counties in the state that don't participate in the Illinois Statewide Marriage database.

Re: Stephenson County Marriage Records

Posted: 25 Sep 2001 1:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Aug 2002 4:23PM GMT
Mark,
I have been doing alot of the same research and have had alot of assistance from 2 ladies in the Freeport Library in the Historical Dept.@.815-233-3000,314 W. Stephenson St,Freeport 61032.Once I received the info I needed from them,I went to the courthouse and on their top floor, they have original wills etc filed away from early 1800's.
Also, I have Hayden ancestry.Patrick from Wicklow,IE my Gr Grandfather,my Grandmother Agnes Hayden lived and died in Freeport. Any connections?
Thanks.

Mark Hayden (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2001 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Bolton, Scovill(e), Ha(y)den
Hi Marcia, My Hayden relatives are from Peoria and before that, Kentucky. Although my father did have 4 uncles he never met. They were Eugene S., Sr born Feb 1887 in Peoria and died somewhere around 1948, give or take a few years, in the Chicago area. William H. was born Sep 1882 in Peoria and died Feb 1929 in Peoria. Walter G. was born Aug 1878 and died, unknown. Curtis born unknown, died unknown. My Grandfather, Earl, married a Hazel Poffenberger. My Grandfather's father was Eugene S. Haden, Sr. who married Catherine Sharbine.

Thanks for the info regarding the Stephenson County Court records. They are hard to come by, especially the earlier ones. Too bad the county gan't get their act together and submit all their marriage records to IRAD, like the rest of the state. I don't remember the original message you replied to on this thread but it is a little hard for me to get back to the Freeport courthouse since I live in Southern California.

I am checking on the marriage of Fenno Delorenzo Bolton and Rhoda J Scovill(e). I'm trying to get a marriage date. There first child was born 3-27-1864 so I figure it had to be earlier than June of 1863. I'm also searching for the marriage date of Rhoda's parents, Sheldon Scovill(e) and Sarah (Sally) Snyder. They were some of the earliest settlers in the area and the info I have is that they were married prior to June of 1840.

Posted: 25 Sep 2001 5:23PM GMT
Edited: 3 Oct 2005 1:58PM GMT
My Grandmothers Sister,Miss Ella Hayden died 2/13/1930 at her home in Peoria .Sound familiar at all?
I did know of a Dave Scoville BD abt 1956 who grew up on West Ave in Freeport.
Good ;uck with your search.

Mark Hayden (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2001 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Ha(y)den, Scovill(e)
Marcia, that is very interesting. It wasn't until several weeks ago that we found out the names of my father's uncles that he never met. I got the names off of the 1900 census images. What would really be neat is if I could make some conections with his first cousins he never knew, that is, if there were any. I would think that with 3 other boys in the family, at least 1 or 2 of them would have had a family.

Was Ella's last name, Hayden, a maiden or married name? If it was a married name, do you know her husband's first name and if it was a maiden name do you know her parent's names? Perhaps she was related to my Grandfather Earl Rodney Hayden. He changed the spelling to include the Y.

I have made some Scovill(e) contacts in the Freeport area and have been very successful in researching that line except for the few dates I mentioned. Thanks anyways! Please let me know if you find out anything else regarding the possible Hayden connection. You may email me direct at rehayden3@home.com

Thanks much! Mark Hayden

Penny (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2001 8:04AM GMT
Who were Sarah (Sally) Snyder's parents? I am tracking Snyder/Snider families in Stephenson Co.1840-1870. They migrated there from Leeds Cty. Ontario, Canada and their ancestors migrated from CT via VT and NY states to Ont. Can.

Mark Hayden (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2001 9:07AM GMT
Surnames: Sn(e)yder
Sarah Snyder or "Sally" father was MARTINUS A. SNEYDER b 2-3-1779 / Kingston, Ulster County, NY. He most likely died before 1850 since he does not show in that census. The Sn(e)yders were some of the earliest settlers in the area arriving as early as 1837, acording to the history file on the Stephenson County, GENWEB site. However, I am unable to place the parents in that locale.

There were many other Sn(e)yders, probably siblings and cousins who migrated there. You can look up their land transactions from the IL IRAD website.

Martinus married 12-12-1808 / Kingston, Ulster County, NY to JACOMEINTJE VAN ETTEN
christened 7-13-1785 / Kingston, Ulster Co, NY death date and location is unknown

Re: Stephenson County Marriage Records Snyders

Posted: 31 Jan 2002 7:04AM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2004 4:05PM GMT
Surnames: Musselman, Snyder, Reid, Babcock, Butler
Penny,
In your searches for Snyders in Stephenson County, IL have you come across the family of Henry (1825-?) and Caroline (1827-?) Snyder. They were there at least between 1860 and 1870. Henry was born in Lancaster Co, PA.

I'm looking for marriage of oldest son, Henry G. Snyder and maybe a Fredrick Snyder, whom I've heard of but haven't traced. Birth or Baptisms of the children born in IL, especially Maria H. Snyder, my GG Grandma Musselman.

1860 Illinois Census, Stephenson Co., Loran Twp., P.O. Mill Grove, Page 439-440, dated July 10, 1860 lists:
Snyder, Henry 34/M Blacksmith $500 / $100
Caroline 32/F
Henry G. 10/M
Mary C. 9/F PA
Frank 4/M PA
Jane E. 1/F IL

Henry Served in the 15th Illinois Infantry. He joined late in the war in 1865.

The family moved on to SD by 1870.

1870 Dakota Census Index, Union County, Boule Creek Twp. Page 109
Schneider, Henry 45 Farmer $100 / $400 PA
Caroline 43 Kpg Hse PA
Franklin 14 At home PA
Jane E. 11 At home ILL
Anna M. 9 (Maria Hannah) ILL
Martha A. 7 ILL
Susan C. 5 ILL
Margaret E. 3 ILL

Thanks, in advance, for your reply.
Carl Musselman
My Home Page:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/u/s/Carl-T-Muss...

Sorn family

Jerry D. Moore (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2002 5:27AM GMT
Surnames: Cantrill, Moore, Sorn et al.
Are you kin to Don Sorn who was from Stephenson Co but lived in Muskekon MI and who passed away about 6 years ago? His ancestor Sorn married the sister of my Cantrill. Jerry D. Moore

Re: Sorn family

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 1:20PM GMT
Edited: 3 Oct 2005 1:58PM GMT
Yes!! I am doing some research on Sorns and have met Donald E. from MI;He died 1996.My husbands P.Gr GrM was a Cantrell!!
Would love to share your/our info!!
Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions