Search for content in message boards

Camp Beauregard 1920/Ates

Camp Beauregard 1920/Ates

Posted: 29 Nov 2002 9:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ates, Lester
On the 1920 census there is an entire listing for Camp Beauregard. It looks like a military camp or a prison--all men and jobs listed like orderly or nurse. I see a J.A. Ates, age 23 listed who may be my greatgrandfather's son. Looking for any info on Camp Beauregard or the Ates in Rapides Parish.

Re: Camp Beauregard 1920/Ates

Beverly (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2002 8:18PM GMT
Ann,

Have been away from genealogy for a while - but caught the reference to Ates in Rapides Parish. I am not an Ates descendant - but one of my Grandmother's sisters married Wilmer Ellis Ates - son of Harmon VanBuren Ates and Eliza Jane Sullivan.

Uncle Ellis died in 1992 and is buried in Springhill Cemetery - along with many other Ates of that area. Springhill is transcribed on the Rapides Parish Gen Web site. His first wife was Florine Folden - they had two children - one died as an infant and the other daughter died in 1970.

I believe that one brother of Uncle Ellis may still be alive - either in Georgia or Alabama - Barnett Ates. I do not have info to contact him.

Hope this helps.

Beverly

Re: Camp Beauregard 1920/Ates

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 12:42AM GMT
I live about 4 miles from Camp Beauregard. My granfather helped build many of the buildings during there in WWII. It is still in operation to this date and a training center for many different military operations such as helicopter training, etc. It is also a FEMA Staging site for Louisiana. It also houses a State Prison which closed for economic reasons this year. There is a large US Marshall facillity on the grounds as well where the marshalls recieve training. The whole operation is much larger now then when I was a boy just after WWII.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions