Search for content in message boards

Charles A. Vining, Fiddlin' Jake - Shepherd of the Hills

Charles A. Vining, Fiddlin' Jake - Shepherd of the Hills

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 12:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vining
I am looking for information on Fiddlin' Jake, the character from Shepherd of the Hills. His real name was Charles A. Vining and the family lived near Branson. His father's name was Erastus Vining.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Sharon

Re: Charles A. Vining, Fiddlin' Jake - Shepherd of the Hills

Posted: 22 Jun 2007 11:00AM GMT
I may have some info,contact me at pj_roots@yahoo,com.This is an allied family.Pam Jones Sheridan

Posted: 14 Sep 2013 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: Vining
My grandmother was Charles A. Vining's cousin. How are you related and what info are you looking for?

Karen

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 4:23PM GMT
Hi Karen:

According to what I can find out, Charles A. Vining was married to Mary Babcock. Their daughter, Elnora Vining, married to John Calvin Mahanes were my great grandparents. I would like to have more info on Charles A. Vining and any history you might have.

Thanks for any info you might have,
Sharon

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 5:40PM GMT
Surnames: Vining, McGhee, Martin, Ritzon
Hi, Sharon,

I can fill in some info from the previous two generations--Charles Augustus' parents and grandparents. I have a little info on his siblings and a studio portrait of Erastus and Elizabeth Ritzon Vining with their family, which includes Charles Augustus as a young man. I also have a copy of a booklet called "The History: Characters, Towns and Landmarks of 'The Shepherd of the Hills'" (1986), which includes some personal reminiscences about Charles and quotes from him . There's also a story that my Mom (Gail Lee McGhee Martin) wrote, "My Pioneering Great-Grandmother," that's included in her award-winning book, "My Flint Hills Childhood: Growing Up in 1930s Kansas" (2009).

Karen

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 9:17PM GMT

I would really appreciate any info you have as I have very little. I have never heard of the booklet on The Shepherd of the Hills (1986). Is it still in print and if so, where could I get a copy?
I did see where your Mom's book is available for purchase.

If you prefer, we could correspond directly. My email address is drozwick225@gmail.com.

Sharon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic