Search for content in message boards

Ezekiel Lewis , Silas Lewis

Ezekiel Lewis , Silas Lewis

Roch Royer (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2005 12:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewis, Collins, Savage
Looking for any information on Ezekiel and/or Silas Lewis who arrived in Shefford in 1793.

Re: Ezekiel Lewis , Silas Lewis

Rod Ingram (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2006 2:06AM GMT
Ezekiel & Silas Lewis were associates of Capt. John Savage who were granted part of the township of Shefford. Silas Lewis from Templeton Mass became an occupant of the lot now (1877) owned by Lewis Clark as early as 1796. (Waterloo area).He remained there only till 1804, when he sold his land and moved to West Shefford. In the following year he returned and settled on the lot now owned, in part, by his son Amasa Lewis, here he died in September, 1849. He had 9 children, 8 of whom settled in Shefford. One daughter became an inhabitant of Stukely.
Mr. Lewis was a quiet man, caring little for public affairs, and preferring to spend his time chiefly in cultivating his farm and providing for his family. He was a devoted member of the Episcopal Church. He built the first mills at the outlet of Waterloo pond. Mr. Lewis was appointed Captain of Militia, and held the office several years. His daughter Elizabeth was the first female child born in the township. He had a large family, but only one child, a son, bearing the name of his father, lived permanently in Shefford. The descendants of these two brothers are numerous in this township and are numbered with it's sober and industrious citizens.
The early inhabitants were obliged to go to St. Johns, forty miles distant, for the most common necessaries of life. On one occasion, Silas and Ezikiel Lewis, with 2 or 3 others, went there on foot, to purchase salt, which they brought home on their backs. In returning Ezikiel Lewis became so exhausted, that he sank down in the forest unable to proceed farther without assistance. The others pushed forward to the nearest settlement, procured aid, returned and rescued their companion.
The land and improvements of Silas Lewis, where he first settled, in Shefford, were purchased in 1804, by Daniel Clark, from Alburgh, Vt.

The above was taken from "The History of Shefford" by C. Thomas

Roch Royer (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2006 3:11AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis
Thanks Rod, help is very appreciated!!

Posted: 2 Apr 2012 1:38AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Lewis, Savage
Just wanted to express my gratitude for this information as well, Rod. I am in Amasa's lineage. It is worth noting that Silas was married to Mary Savage, Captain John Savage's daughter.
- Belinda Lewis

Posted: 13 May 2012 2:36PM GMT
Surnames: LEWIS
Thank you for your update to the Silas/Ezekial Lewis story. I am starting a search for the Lewis family. My father was Everett Harold Lewis, son of Thomas Daniel Lewis & Edith Clara Mason. I was born and raised in Granby, Quebec, but only recently became interested in family history.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions