Ezekiel & Silas Lewis were associates of Capt. John Savage who were granted part of the township of Shefford. Silas Lewis from Templeton Mass became an occupant of the lot now (1877) owned by Lewis Clark as early as 1796. (Waterloo area).He remained there only till 1804, when he sold his land and moved to West Shefford. In the following year he returned and settled on the lot now owned, in part, by his son Amasa Lewis, here he died in September, 1849. He had 9 children, 8 of whom settled in Shefford. One daughter became an inhabitant of Stukely.
Mr. Lewis was a quiet man, caring little for public affairs, and preferring to spend his time chiefly in cultivating his farm and providing for his family. He was a devoted member of the Episcopal Church. He built the first mills at the outlet of Waterloo pond. Mr. Lewis was appointed Captain of Militia, and held the office several years. His daughter Elizabeth was the first female child born in the township. He had a large family, but only one child, a son, bearing the name of his father, lived permanently in Shefford. The descendants of these two brothers are numerous in this township and are numbered with it's sober and industrious citizens.
The early inhabitants were obliged to go to St. Johns, forty miles distant, for the most common necessaries of life. On one occasion, Silas and Ezikiel Lewis, with 2 or 3 others, went there on foot, to purchase salt, which they brought home on their backs. In returning Ezikiel Lewis became so exhausted, that he sank down in the forest unable to proceed farther without assistance. The others pushed forward to the nearest settlement, procured aid, returned and rescued their companion.
The land and improvements of Silas Lewis, where he first settled, in Shefford, were purchased in 1804, by Daniel Clark, from Alburgh, Vt.
The above was taken from "The History of Shefford" by C. Thomas