Search for content in message boards

JOHN LANGFORD,who married MARTHA about 1770-1780

JOHN LANGFORD,who married MARTHA about 1770-1780

Posted: 18 Nov 2004 9:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jan 2006 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: LANGFORD
Need to contact a Overton/Jackson Co Tn. Langford researcher.
I see written that John Langford married Martha Duke in Warren Co NC 27 July 1787 in several places...
How can that be?
I went searching for the parnets of Martha Duke and found=

YES a John Langford did marry Martha Duke on 27 July 1787,
In the Will of John Langford dated 1828
he mentions his wife Martha,
Children as;
Delia, Sarah, Benjamin, Martha, Ailsey, John D, and Mahala W.
This John Langford is also mentioned in the Will of His father George Langford ,,proven May 1782 Warren Co N.C. ( Butte co, N. C.
It apepars from my research in Warren, (Buttle) Co N.C. that John Langford and his wife Martha Duke raised their family in that part of Warren Co that is now Vance Co N.C. Martha "Duke" Langford died in 1843 in Warren Co Tn.

If It is a , "John Langford", who is the father of James, John, Rufus, Stephen & Sally "Sarah" who settled in Jackson/ Overton/ Clay County TN.
Who did he marry?
Was it a Martha unknown?
I am very willing to share more of my research on this generations that was born in South Carolina for the most part.
I look forward to any coments, and etc
Perhapes you can end my confusion on this topic.
Thank you
Rose c

Re: JOHN LANGFORD,who married MARTHA about 1770-1780

Posted: 24 Mar 2005 7:03PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2005 1:43AM GMT
I am searching for Desuras Langford. She married William H. McClure in 1854. I think I found them in the 1850 Census living in GA. But if it was the same William H. McClure, she is listed as Sarah. Was reading your message and saw a Sarah. I know sometimes a person is listed by one name in a census and the next time it is the same person with another one of their names.
William H. Mcclure was killed at Vicksburg in 1863. He is buried there.
I think they had 3-5 children. The 1860 Census had 1 child listed.
My ggrandmother, Mary Elizabeth McClure, was born in 1862.
Just wondering if you have information on them.
Thanks, Mary

Posted: 14 Sep 2005 2:36AM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2005 2:29AM GMT
I have a John Langford in my line. I wonder if it could be the same. He had a daughter who was Lousetta "Lou" langford Smith. She was my gg Grandmother. There is, I'm told a connection to a Cherokee Indian Chief Whooping Crane. Any idea if this is the same line????

Posted: 3 Jun 2006 2:35AM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2006 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: Langford~ Haney~ Hensley~ Dailey/Daily
Hi, I was wondering if you have not found your link, I may be able to help... I have a Lousetta Langford b. Jan 13, 1874. She was the daughter of Thomas Jefferson and Mary Polly Rhoten Langford. Granddaughter of John (Jack) and Mary Polly Crane Langford. Polly Crane is spost to be the daughter of Chief Whooping Crane. John (Jack) Langford was the son of John and Martha / Patsy Duke. was I any help?

Rose Cranston (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2006 12:47PM GMT
Surnames: Langford/Crane/Hodges
In some early records of S.C. in the Merrittsville( Which was located very close to the N.C. border) area, there was a crane family listed, also the Post offfice was run by Hodges (same man Langford served under in the War of 1812, Also very close to what was the Toll Booth that Eli Langford ran 9the road over Saluda Mt.)
IS this the same family?
Note: Merritsville is under the Lake now)

Posted: 3 Jun 2006 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: Langford/Crane/Hodges
In some early records of S.C. in the Merrittsville( Which was located very close to the N.C. border) area, there was a Crane family listed, also the Post offfice was run by Hodges (same man Langford served under in the War of 1812)
, Also very close to what was the Toll Booth that Eli Langford ran the road over Saluda Mt.
IS this the same family?
Note: Merritsville is under the lake now)

Posted: 3 Jun 2006 2:07PM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2006 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: Langford~ Haney~ Hensley~ Dailey/Daily
I have an Eli Langford, born abt 1754. Son of Nicholas Langford. I have not had alot of time to run this side of my family. Abt all I have is names and a few dates. Eli had a brother Robert born abt 1752, and John Langford Sr, bor 1758 and died aft 1800.he married Martha Duke July 27 1787 in Warren NC. she was born abt 1750.So this is showing part of this family was in NC at one point.

Harold Scott (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2006 3:21AM GMT
POSSIBLY THE SAME FAMILY, HOWEVER I DO NOT HAVE ANY RECORDS, ONLY NAMES AND DATES

HAROLD SCOTT (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2006 3:28AM GMT
THIS IS THE SAME LINE I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON. THANKS FOR YOUR INFO AND ANY OTHER YOU MIGHT HAVE IN THE FUTURE
hAROLD

Posted: 4 Jun 2006 12:32PM GMT
Surnames: LANGFORD/
There is a John Langford who married Martha Duke in (Butts County) = Warren County NC in that time period however they never moved from the Warren/Vance County area nor did they have a child named John.
Also there was a John Langford who married a Martha Whiteside in Rowan County same time period. it is thought that John Langford perished. and then there is a John Langford who lived in Edgefield co S.C. but died young. I think they had one or two children one being Asa. His will does not mention a JOhn as a son .
It is thought the John Langford and brothers Stephen and James Langford who settled in Middle TN. are the children of Eli Langford and Sarah (Matthews). James and Srephen are proven to be by a Land Deed in Jackson County, John because of location and family interaction most likely is.

Contact me dierctly at
Dcran41266@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic