Search for content in message boards

Warfield Slaves

Warfield Slaves

Sara Baack (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2001 7:22AM GMT
A man phoned me who is trying to trace his family, I suppose back to Africa. He is the descendant of a slave girl by the name of "Affy Stephens" who was married to "Darius Stephens". They had a daughter by the name of "Sarah Catherine Stephens", born in the 1840s. "Affy Stephens" was willed to my great-great-grandmother, Margaret Hubbard Lambdin, by her father Thomas Hubbard. My feeling is that "Darius Stephens" was, in all probability, given the name of his original slave owners. "Affy" was included with 5 other slaves with the last name of "Warfield", which I also feel took the last name of their owner. She may have been a "Warfield" slave prior to marrying "Darius Stephens". If anyone happens to have any information regarding slaves owned by any WARFIELD on the Eastern Shore, please contact me so I can pass this on to the descendant of "Affy and Darius Stephens". Although "Affy" is mentioned in the will, I have no record showing "Darius" being with her and their child.

Re: Warfield Slaves

Posted: 23 Sep 2002 6:39PM GMT
Edited: 3 Dec 2003 3:57PM GMT
I ALSO AM SEEKING INFORMATION ON A POSSIBLE SLAVE NAMED LAURA WARFIELD WHO WAS MY GGMOTHER. LAURA WAS AN INDIAN FROM MARYLAND. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT MARYLAND BUT HER DAUGHTER MAISIE/MAZIE, MY GMOTHER WAS FROM MONTGOMERY CO., MD. AND HER SSDI RECORDS STATE THAT SHE WAS THE DAUGHTER OF JOSEPH WARFIELD. JOSEPH MAY HAVE BEEN A SLAVE ALSO BUT HE WAS OBVIOUSLY AFRICAN AMERICAN AND THEY HAD SEVERAL CHILDREN INCLUDING EDWARD AND CARRIE. IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO THAT YOU CAN SHARE, PLEASE CONTACT ME. I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR YEARS. THANKS, ANITA

Sara Curley (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2002 4:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Anita, This is all that I have. These slaves were willed to my GG Grandmother, by her father, and then my GG Grandfather immediately freed them, however, they remained with him until he died. Chattel records of Dorchester County, MD from 1847 to 1851, Folio 5, dated May 29, 1847 showed: "Thomas Hubbard to his dau. Margaret Lambdin: Slaves (7)".
The slaves are as follows:
Affy Stephens b. Aug. 20, 1828, Elizabeth Ann Warfield b. Nov. 4, 1837, James Warfield b. Apr. 7, 1839, William Warfield b. Sept. 6, 1841, Mary Jane Warfield b. Oct. 18, 1843, Sarah Catherine Stephens b. May 10, 1846 and Milly Warfield b. Jan. 1, 1846.
These slaves were African American, and I don't know if there any connection, but feel there might be a slight possibility. Hope this helps in the long run. Sara

Posted: 20 Aug 2007 7:45PM GMT
thanks so much sarah. my new email address is stirfrye53@verizon.net

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 3:17AM GMT
Surnames: Warfield, Thomas, Richardson, Frye, Taylor, Simms, Burroughs
WE COMMUNICATED IN 2002 RE WARFIELD SLAVES AND I AM STILL SEARCHING FOR MY MATERNAL WARFIELDS [AFRICAN AMERICAN]. MY GGFATHER JOSEPH WARFIELD HAD CHILDREN WITH LAURA LILES. I JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU FOR THE INFO YOU SHARED AND TO LET YOU KNLW THAT MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS IS STIRFRYE53@VERIZON.NET. I AM ALSO RESEARCHING MY MOTHER'S ANCESTERS -- THUS THE FRY(E)s from VA. thank you. anita

Posted: 21 Mar 2009 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Warfield, Lyles and others.
I am interesting in talking to any warfield or Ridgely descendants to the slave ship Enterprise.
In 1835 Captain Elliott Smith left Alexandria Virginia headed for Charleston, South Carolina. On his ship were 78 slaves not declared on the manifest. He apparently "kidnapped" five young Warfields from off a beach along the way. Apparently, at this time the price of slaves in the south had risen or something, and stealing or kidnapping slaves and then selling them wasn't uncommon.

Along the way they were blown off course, or hit a gale and ended up in Bermuda for refuelling. Bermuda had achieved emancipation and so all slaves on board were given the option to be free. All asked for freedom except for 25 year old Matilda Ridgely and her five small daughters, Helen, Mahaley, Betsey and Martha and Ann. She got back on the boat.

THis is according to NEllie Musson's book, Mind The Onion Seed.

Some other names of the slaves were Easter Lyles, 25, Henrietta Lyles 3 and John Lyles.

Easter Groom, 14, Louisa Groom 2,
Martha Lean Groom.

Other surnames included Anderson, Brent, Briscoe, Brown, Buckingham, Butler, Carter, Chase, Dent, Dobbin, and Warfield

Mahalia or Mahalah seemed ot be a common first name with this group.

Posted: 7 Oct 2009 4:41AM GMT
Surnames: Warfield, Thomas, Yates, Liles
I've been searching for lots of years for my paternal gggrandmother. GGrandmother Laura Liles Warfield was born in Montgomery Co., MD according to gmother Maisie/Mazie's SSDI. Laura's children that I found in the census [with Joseph WARFIELD] were Edward, Carrie, Maisie. Laura later married Joseph Williams. Also, we believe that the Eliza Warfield in the 1910 DC Census with Maisie was Laura's sister.

Maisie's children were:

Lydia Richardson [married Francis Yates]:
-- children were Norma, Roland, Frank, Laura, Rita,
among others;

Leroy Richardson .. son of Robert Richardson[Married Dorothy (?)one son, Leroy Jr.];

Leona Thomas -- dau of Lester Thomas, Sr.;
-- married someone named Brown);

Lester Thomas, Jr. m. Lorraine E. Frye (my parents).

May Thomas (died young)

If any of this peaks your interest, pls. contact me at stirfrye53@verizon.net

Posted: 7 Oct 2009 10:26AM GMT
Well, is there any story in the family about having some connection to Bermuda?

Jessie

Posted: 7 Oct 2009 8:55PM GMT
not directly.... however, my grandparents were from the Warfield Plantations [slaves] and i am willing to go wherever my search will take me. thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions