Search for content in message boards

passenger lists for ships from England to Jamaica 1830's

passenger lists for ships from England to Jamaica 1830's

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 6:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Can someone point me towards possible sources of passenger lists for the period 1834-1840 for ships sailing from England and Ireland to Jamaica? The transcribers guild only has ships to North America.
Thanks
Robert

Re: passenger lists for ships from England to Jamaica 1830's

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 6:22AM GMT

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 7:34AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2012 7:34AM GMT
Dear ELLinSpain:

Thanks for the links. I had looked at jamaicanfamilysearch before: they have detailed lists of the immigrants 1840-41 when a new system was introduced, but nothing for the period before, which what I need.

The second link was intriguing, and a great find, but those logs are only for the Royal Navy warships, i.e. not passenger ships.

I guess I'm trying to find who might have kept such passenger lists (Customs? Agent General of Immigration?) or whether they are centrally stored at e.g. Kew, or in each port city. A possibility is CO384 or CO386 at Kew. The records after 1890 are computerized and available online at findmypast.co.uk, but I need the earlier period.

Robert

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 3:22PM GMT
That's exactly what I'm looking for too - my 4 x great grandfather Charles Oswin was a merchant and was apparently settled in Jamaica between about 1790 and 1825, but known to have been in England probably c1801-3 and in 1816, and died in Surrey in 1831.

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 7:57PM GMT
I am told that there sometimes were announcements in the local newspaper(s) with the names of individuals arriving (but normally only notables), but unfortunately you don't seem to have narrow dates that could be efficiently searched. Plus I understand that many of the newspapers held by the National Library of Jamaica for that period are very fragile and have been withdrawn from general access.

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 8:51AM GMT
Good idea though. I can try 1816 anyway. Thanks.

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 3:09AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
It helps to subscribe to newspaper archive and search the Jamaica newspaper. My grandfather migrated from Jamaica in 1941 to Panama and he is listed as departed vessel's name and where he was headed to. So I suggest to give it a try. Also you might come across other info.

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 9:15AM GMT
Good idea - thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions