Search for content in message boards

House of Good Shepherd-Wauwatosa

House of Good Shepherd-Wauwatosa

Posted: 30 Jun 2004 8:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kohler
I've found one Great Aunt listed in 1910 census who was at the House of Good Shepherd. She is aged 20 at the time. What was the "House of Good Shepherd"? An orphanage? A school? The Ancestry.com image is too faded to read, so I don't know if she was a resident or a member of the staff. Where would I write for more information?

Thanks

Re: House of Good Shepherd-Wauwatosa

Posted: 30 Jun 2004 11:51PM GMT
I checked the 1910 census through Heritage Quest and it was very clear. The only Kohler I found was:
Clara Kohler age 20 born Wis. Parents born Wis.
She is listed as an inmate of the home. I believe Good Shepherd was a home for wayward girls. If you use Google search engine some articles about the home can be found. Hope this helps.

Posted: 1 Jul 2004 4:55PM GMT
Thanks, that's what I thought it might be. Her mother died when she was only 13. Now I have to see if there are any records available.

Jill Barry (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 2004 6:36AM GMT
You can find a photo and short description of the House of Good Shepherd at http://www.uwm.edu/Library/digilib/Milwaukee/records/search....
Found this to be an interesting site. Lots of early Milwaukee area photos.

Posted: 9 Jul 2004 5:37PM GMT
Oh, that is an excellent website. Thanks for telling me about it.

For anyone else looking for information on residents of this institution I received this info from the Archivist at the Milwaukee Archdiocese.

"After it closed in the 1960's all records were sent to the motherhouse of the Good Shepherd Sisters @ Good Shepherd Sisters, 7654 Natural Bridge Road, St. Louis, MO 63121, ph: 314-381-3400."

Posted: 9 Oct 2004 2:37PM GMT
I'm also looking for information on someone who was in this Home in 1910. I had sent several e-mails to the sisters in St. Louis but got no response. Was thinking of writing a letter when I saw your post. Have you contacted them & did they have any info for you?

Barb (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2004 12:20PM GMT
Just browsing the messages and came across this one.

I grew up in Wauwatosa, within a mile of 'Good shepherd'.
House of Good Shepherd was a home for pregnant girls, whose parents sent them there mid pregnancy, untill after delivery.

The site is now, I believe, Wisconsin Lutheran College. They did utilize part of the origiinal structure.

There was another home in Wauwatosa for the same purposes off 63rd and wells street, a beautiful old home. I can't remember the name of it however. It was right behind Jacobus Park.

Barb

sandy (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2004 4:04PM GMT
I was at the "house" in the late 1950's and at that time, girls were sent there for things like skipping school to everthing else. They would not keep you if you were pregant, You went to high school every day, even in the summer. and they could only keep you till you were 18 years old.

It was on the corner of 88th and bluemound in Wauwatosa It
did have a swimming pool and tennis courts.

I was told it was used as a training school for nuns before it was a "reform school "

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 7:43PM GMT
I was at the House from 1964-1966 and there were not any pregnant girl there. If it weren't for the "HOUSE" who know what my life would be right now. I learned a lot and I thank the Sisters for all their help. To bad it had to close because I think it wiuld be good for a lot of girls today.

Posted: 10 Sep 2011 3:42AM GMT
I am looking at the website and cannot find information about the house of good shephard. can youplease help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions