Search for content in message boards

wolstencroft - from England

wolstencroft - from England

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 7:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
hi im trying to find the descendants of a john wolstencroft who was born in salford in 1852 , he had 2 brothers called james and george and his father was called charles, i can find no death record here in england and i think he may have travelled to america about 1895 - his other brother also went to america with the family and then returned.

all i can find for him is he was living in little Hulton in england in 1891 and then goes somewhere - he seems to have escaped matramony by the time he was 38 still single - i have only just managed to find him on the census due to a misssplell -
his occumpation was a miner

im also searching for a birth record for arthur wolstencroft born in america in 1880 but not sure how to go about searching for it any help appreciated - arthur came back to England whe he was 3

Re: wolstencroft - from England

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 8:25PM GMT
Edited: 14 Dec 2012 8:27PM GMT
Howka, i found this :
New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about John Wolstencroft
Name: John Wolstencroft
Arrival Date: 11 May 1891
Birth Date: abt 1852
Ethnicity/ Nationality: English
Place of Origin: England
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: Philadelphia
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Arizona
Search Ship Database: Search the Arizona in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

New York Port, Ship Images, 1851-1891 about John Wolstencroft
Arrival Date: 11 May 1891
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship route: Liverpool-Queenstown-NY
Port of Arrival: New York, United States
Ship Name: Arizona
Ship built: 1879
Shipping Line: Guion Line
Ship tonnage: 5,147 tons; 450' x 45'
Ship Description: 4 masts, 2 funnels

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 about John Wolstencroft
Birth Place: Salford, Lancs
Death Date: 2 Oct 1918
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Manchester
Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers
Battalion: 16th Battalion
Number: 52027
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 8:30PM GMT
Edited: 14 Dec 2012 8:31PM GMT
1911 England Census about Arthur Wolstencroft
Name: Arthur Wolstencroft
Age in 1911: 31
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Oldham, Lancashire, England
Civil parish: Chadderton
County/Island: Lancashire
Street Address: 75 Bamford St Chadderton
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Oldham
Registration District Number: 469
Sub-registration district: Chadderton
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Piece: 24535
Household Members:
Name Age
Arthur Wolstencroft 31
Jane Ann Wolstencroft 29
Ena Wolstencroft 4
Arthur Wolstencroft 3
Elizabeth Wolstencroft

1891 England Census about Arthur Wolstencroft
Name: Arthur Wolstencroft
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Relation: Son
Father's Name: John Wolstencroft
Mother's Name: Alice Wolstencroft
Where born: Oldham, Lancashire, England
Civil parish: Chadderton
Ecclesiastical parish: St Gabriel
County/Island: Lancashire
Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Oldham
Sub-registration district: Chadderton
ED, institution, or vessel: 24
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 3317
Folio: 142
Page Number: 6
Household Members:
Name Age
John Wolstencroft 43
Alice Wolstencroft 39
Walter Wolstencroft 15
Arthur Wolstencroft 11
Hannah Wolstencroft 9
Frank Wolstencroft 7
Alice Wolstencroft 2
View
Original
Record

View original image

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 8:36PM GMT
wow oh thanks for that - ill have a look in more detail but he was on the census here in 1891 still so was wondering if he travelled about 1895 - but his birth date fits perfect so depending on what date he travelled and the census was taken ect.

I have reason to believe that he may have fathered a child before he travelled and its all becoming very interesting

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 8:40PM GMT
I will look some more.. helping someone else out at the same time.. something specific you want ?

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 8:48PM GMT
wow . thanks for that !! if i can piece togehter what happened to john would be great.

i think the family you have there are very similar to mine as i kept coming accross those in the research but they are not the same ones

arthur was definatly born in america but came back to england the gravestone is as follows
Arthur WOLSTENCROFT
Born Sunday, December 31 1882
Died Tuesday, May 11 1897
Son of George and Alice

this family went to america in about 1880 - with their children and arthur was born there - they stayed in Amercia for 4 yrs - and then came back - not sure why they came back as life was pretty hard over here for them. If i can find out where arthur was born might be able to find out where they lived and things but no birt was registered in England and the census says he was born in america - but doesnt say where. sadly arthur died at 14 in a coal mine accident.

i cant imagine how these families managed to travel the ocean in the 1880s with kids in tow and they were very poor so how did they afford to go - we dont knwo

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 6:40PM GMT
The family is included in the 1881 Little Hulton, England, census; it appears it was enumerated on or before July 20, 1881. Alice's birth year is given as about 1858 and George about 1855.

Did Alice remain in England?

Who were the other relatives who traveled to the US? Names, ages, when they went to the US and where they lived? This might help in a search for the family.

The occupation of coal miner might help narrow down where George and Alice and family lived in the States.

Beth
not related

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 10:31PM GMT
hi beth tanks for your reply - at the momnet im trying to find arthurs birth record - but i cant

he was born in 1882 which is on the gravestone and on teh census he was born in America

he was baptised in England in 1886 at the same time as his younger sister Elizabeth
i have his death record but would love to find out which city in america he was born ect - i have triend averything but im going to get to the library after christmas to print off the passenger lists as some of them are down as just mr wolstencroft - i would assume he would have had to be registered for birth to enable him to travel to England

Alive and george reamind in England yes and those birth dates are right

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 2:38PM GMT
hi thanks for the infromation about john - i now suspect that all the original family went to USA about 1873 returned and then came back as another member has found some more info that they went with their MOTHER about this time - this is the reason why i cannot find much on the mother Eliz born 1824 as they went to usa a lot - this whole family have given me the run around !! they all go to america - and then come back - more than once - so the census info is all mixed
so there are three sons , john, george and james - but i suspect that there had been more children
also cant find much on charles wolstencroft he was born 1819 there are two possibles, but he was already dead when the sons got married i think it must have been about 1880 but again cant find the info that matches - possibly he died in USA
this would be my gr gt grandfahter
my aunt says she knows we have ancestors in USA but no idea about where or from what side
interesting about the great war as well
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions