Search for content in message boards

NEWMAN,George W. b.1879

NEWMAN,George W. b.1879

Posted: 29 Nov 2008 9:08PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Smith,Newman,Hadder
GEORGE W. NEWMAN. A few years ago George W. Newman was a struggling lawyer at Houston TX and then at Beaumont TX. From the law he turned his attention to large business and development enterprises, and is now ranked as one
of the most influential and successful capitalists in southeast Texas. Mr. Newman has extensive interests in oil properties. He is a young man whose rise to wealth and prominence in the business world has been nothing less than remarkable. Born at Houston, Winston county, Alabama, in 1879, George W. Newman is a son of P. H. and Octavia (Had- der) Newman. His father, a native of Georgia, now living at Loretta, Tennessee, has spent most of his life in Alabama, where for many years he was a prominent member of the bar, served in the legislature for several terms, and was a member of the last constitutional convention of the state. He made a distinguished record as a soldier of the Confederacy, going through the war from the battle of Shiloh, until the final close of hostilities. He was in all the great battles of eastern Tennessee and northern Georgia, including Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Atlanta Campaign and others. His law practice was principally at Houston in Winston county, and later at Double Springs, in the same county, after the county seat had been removed from the former to the latter place. George W. Newman began his education in the local schools in his native town of Houston, and afterwards was a student in the State Normal College at Troy, Alabama. For two years he taught school in Alabama, and for one year in Georgia. Under his father he took up the study of law, and on being admitted to the bar practiced one year at Birmingham, Alabama. In 1902 he moved to Houston, Texas, and in 1903 to Beaumont,Texas which city has since been his home. During the first four years of his Beaumont residence he was engaged in the general practice, and with moderate though by no means remarkable financial success. Through his connection with some land deals, he made a considerable amount of money, and that proved to be the nucleus of his business success. He invested his capital in building an ice manufacturing plant at Beaumont — the Consumers Ice Company, of which he is still the principal owner and the president. He gave personal attention to the industry during its early struggling days, and made of it what it has since remained, a highly successful and one of the best dividend-paying institutions in Beaumont Texas. From this successful start he got into the producing oil business in Texas, and Louisiana fields, and has since continued until his enterprise has made him a very wealthy young man. Associated with his father-in-law, Mr. C. L. Smith, he be
came one of the pioneer producers of the great Vinton, Louisiana, oil field in 1909, and some of his largest interests are in that field and in the Caddo, Louisiana fields. He is vice president of the Gray Oil Company, which operates in both those fields, also is president of the Producers Pipe Line Company, which carries Goose Creek crude petroleum to deep water. In Texas his most important oil holdings are in the Goose Creek field in Harris
county,a part of the Coastal region. There the operations are
carried on by the C. L. Smith Oil Company, of which
he is vice president and general manager. He is also
president of the Hindman-Barlow-Scott Oil Company of
Houston Texas.
Mr. Newman was one of the original stockholders
and served for a time as president of the Rio Grande
Fire Insurance Company of San Antonio. It was he who
took the leading part in the reorganization of the company,
which brought about its present prosperous condition.
He is also a member of the board of directors
of the Texas Bank & Trust Company of Beaumont,TEXAS and
is financially interested in other successful enterprises.
His rapid rise beginning practically from nothing at
the time of his retirement from law practice in 1907
to his present position of wealth and influence in southeast
Texas, has been nothing less than remarkable, and
especially so since his own efforts and ability have been
the chief factors in his success. He is one of the active
figures and public spirited citizens of Beaumont TX.
Mr. Newman is affiliated with the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks, has membership with the Beaumont
Country Club and the Houston Club, and is well
known in social and civic circles. He married Miss Ollie
Smith, who was born in Vernon Parish, Louisiana, a
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Smith. They have one
son, George Smith Newman.

Re: NEWMAN,George W. b.1879

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 12:08AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Newman, Smith
This obituary omits George Washington Newman's (my grandfather) divorce from Ollie Smith and remarriage to Aida Buttonuth (my grandmother), and the additional 3 children George W. had with Aida: Jack (my father), Carlton, and Bernice, not to mention his 19 grandchildren by the 3, 30-some-odd great-grandchildren and, to date, several gg-grandchildren.

I remember my father's half-brother, my uncle George (Smith) Newman, and his wonderful wife, Grace, well. I loved the family visits to their property when I was young. The woods, horses, and all else there fed much of my early childhood fantasy world, and Grace's biscuits were to die for. They have been much missed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions