Search for content in message boards

Origin of POMPLUN surname

Origin of POMPLUN surname

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 5:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Dec 2008 11:30PM GMT
Surnames: Pomplun
I don't expect anyone to know anything in my case (LOL), because I have a really rare last name - Pomplun (pronounced pawm 'ploon). All I know is that my great, great, great (yes, three greats) grandfather (don't know his name) came to the states from Alsace around the time of the civil war. As far as I know, he came right out west to Minnesota; his son (Wilhelm) then came out to the prarie here in North Dakota when he was grown, and so here I am, even now. I talked to someone once online with my last name in Germany, and he told me we were Huguenots, and that's where the name comes from - I've had a native German tell me it isn't German, and native Frenchman tell me it isn't French, and some obscure person who I can't remember say it was a mixture of both (I myself think it may have been drawn from Latin, and either/both Germanicized/Frankicized); also, my brother once had a book that showed where all of us are still in Europe - 90% Germany (and from my German source, Northern Germany, mostly), and the rest mostly the Netherlands. Apparently, my family was the only one in Alsace, because there were none indicated in France at all, now. I read a similar list in America that indicated a large amount on the east coast. Now, I know that was a lot of blathering, but you see my frustration:P LOL (My mother's side is way easier being Bavarians who moved to Ukraine before coming to the states:) If any of you have even heard of my last name before, it could even help, any little piece of info pertaining in any way at all to it or me. I do know that the Germans and Dutch who are of my name still spell and prounounce it the same; not sure if it ever had an umlaud(s). Thanks for reading:)

Re: Does anyone have even a clue?

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 1:01PM GMT
Spelling (of anything) was not an issue before the 20th century. The LDS FamilySearch website shows hundreds of entries that are variations of the name POMPLUN/POMPLIN from several different areas of old Germany.

You would be better served if your query supplied specific details of the family you are researching; full names, exact dates, and places. Limit your information to the immigrates.

I should note that the best place to find where a family came from "across the pond" is to research all the records (birth/baptismal, marriage, death, and etc.) in the area where they first settled. Many have found the home village as a note with the entries in the old records.

Posted: 14 Dec 2008 4:47PM GMT
I checked the LDS website for your surname, Pomplun. All the places listed for this surname are from Prussia. I did not see any other place listed. This is where I would concentrate to see if you could find anything further. At least it is a place to start.

joan

Posted: 15 Dec 2008 6:48AM GMT
Thank you Joan, that does make good sense, I know there are many Huguenot descendants in Prussia:)

Posted: 15 Dec 2008 6:51AM GMT
Thanks FH, good advice:)

Re: Origin of POMPLUN surname

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 12:04PM GMT
Hello. You're not alone with this name. I'm from Polish and my family was a lot of people with surname Pomplun.Pisze with anyone because I was not looking I contact them for a long time, I have a lot of data but one can not just enough to znalez.Wiem They were Mennonite and so-called settlers arrived in the olenderskimi former Polish about 1500 years My family originates from the area Rehhof, Grudziadz, Chelmno, Sztum, Torun If you want more information about my relatives write puan1@op.pl sorry do not know English

Witaj .Nie jestes sam o tym nazwisku .Ja pochodze z Polski i w mojej rodzinie bylo duzo osob o nazwisku Pomplun.Pisze bylo bo z nikim nie mam kontaktu poszukuje ich od dawna ,mam bardzo duzo danych ale nikogo nie moge znalez.Wiem tylko tyle ze byli oni mennonitam i tak zwanym osadnikami olenderskimi przybyli w strony dawnej polski okolo 1500 roku Moja rodzina pochodzi z okolic Rehhof,Grudziadza ,Chelmna ,Sztumu ,Torun Jezeli chcesz wiecej danych o moich krewnych napisz na puan1@op.pl nie znam angielskiego przepraszam

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 12:11PM GMT
Hi, I am on FamilySearch I found a lot of my family Pomplun. From there, I found out where he was born and who their parents If you want the data that I found please write to puan1@op.pl
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions