Search for content in message boards

Bethel Cemetery in Woodruff

Bethel Cemetery in Woodruff

Rebecca Moss (View posts)
Posted: 19 May 2004 9:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brewton
Ran accross Bethel Cem in Woodruff by accident this weekend on a SC visit. It had my Brewtons!
When asking folks around there what the cemetery was called, it took awhile before someone knew. I was told that Bethel Baptist was originally Jamey's Creek Church of Christ, one of the first churches in Woodruff. No one could tell me when or what happened to the church. Saw another cemetery just passed it and went to it. It was at the church "Woodruff? Associate Reform Presbyterian Church" on the next road. Seemed to be all of the same families that were buried at Bethel. Several of the tombstones said -"Was a loyal member of Bethel Baptist Church for ___years. So it would seem whatever happened to Bethel Church, these families removed to the Presbyterian church. Does anyone have information on these churches and their connections? Does anyone know if records survive for Jamey's Creek or Bethel Baptist?
Thanks, Rebecca Moss

Re: Bethel Cemetery in Woodruff

Frank Leake (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2004 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Brewton, Drummond, Wofford, Pearson, Mahaffey, McCarley, Boyd, Floyd
Rebecca,

I have some info about the cemetery you visited in Woodruff, SC. The church is now First Baptist Church - http://www.woodruff1st.org . You can read the history at that site, so I won't take up much space here. Prior to its current location, the church was located on Main St., in front of the cemetery. The new church, approximately 2 miles east of downtown accross from the high school on Hwy. 146, was built in 1962 and the old church demolished. The church name was Bethel Baptist until 1911, then it was changed to First Baptist, but the cemetery is still Bethel Cemetery.

I am originally from Woodruff and my father and one of my brothers still reside there. I too am related to the Brewtons. (It seems that the ones who remained in SC spell with "ew" and the ones who left SC spell with "ou".) David and Susannah are my 5th ggparents, Phillip and Agness are my 4th ggparents and both their son, Simeon, and their daughter Cynthia are my 3rd ggparents. Also, I have many Brewton cousins from marriages to Wofford, Pearson, Gates, Drummond, etc. relatives.

I have lived near Nashville, TN for the past 16 years, but still visit Woodruff several time each year. I have spent many hours in that cemetery and will probably spend more over the Christmas holidays.

Will gladly share information. I don't have much info about the Brewtons who left SC, but would like to.

Thanks

Frank

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 3:55PM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2006 4:02PM GMT
Would be interested in learning which Drummonds your family married and in obtaining information about them.

Posted: 8 Feb 2007 12:56AM GMT
Rebecca;
I have a book on both cemeteries. My husband and I are starting to update it and do digitial photos of each marker.
Give me the info you need and I will look ut up for you.
Gods blessings'
Gabby

Posted: 9 Feb 2007 10:00AM GMT
Surnames: Swafford, Swofford,Swaffer,Fakes,Bell,Perigo,Hale
hey Gabby:

got any SWOFFORDs (or SWAFFORD)listed in this cemetary?

any help appreciated.

Jay Swafford
http://www.Swafford-SwoffordFamiliesofAmerica.com
Nashville,TN

Posted: 15 Feb 2007 11:53AM GMT
Surnames: Hindman, Harrelson
Gabby:
I was tol that Hindmans and Harrelsons are burried in that general loxation. I am particularly interested in a Peggy ( Margaret) Hindman, sister Elizabeth Harrelson Husband Gedeon Harrelson.
I would appreciate it if you xould tell me if they are in any of the cemetaries you have data on.
And if so, of course ANY INFO ,AGE, DATE OF BIRTH-DEATH ETC.thanks bILL hINDMAN

Posted: 1 Jul 2007 4:34AM GMT
Hi my name is Vicky Carter my grandparents and great grand parents are buried there but I can't find the graves and didn't know what happen to the church. They were Carter's and then some of my Lancaster uncles.
Thanks in advance
Vicky

Posted: 22 Jul 2007 3:54AM GMT
Hi,
I was wondering how you can get information of where people are buried there.
My GG Grandparents and Grandparents are buried there but there are no markers and I would love to find ot so I can put some up.
They were Carter's, lancaster, and Waters.
Thanks in advance,
Vicky

Posted: 22 Jul 2007 3:57AM GMT
Hi,
I'm trying to locate the following where my GG grandparents and Grandparents are buried. It was near a big Oak tree but that has been cut down now I'm lost. The VA will help me on the markers if I can find out where they are.
The names are.
Samuel H. Carter, Eliza Brady Carter, Vannie O. Carter, and Minnie Lancaster Waters.
Thanks in advance,
Vicky Carter Penland

Posted: 22 Jul 2007 8:28PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2008 11:48PM GMT
The cemetery's and the churches, are very confusing. Bethel is now the First Baptist of Woodruff . The cemetery behind the ARP church (now closed and sold)belongs to F.B.C of Woodruff, across the street in the Emma Gray Methodist Church, and behind it is the ARP Cemetery. (told you it was confusing) My husband and my self are trying to bring the cemetery records up to date.A very hard time consuming task. i will look up you names and see if we can help you. I might add that to the right of the drive of the Bethel is the Lanford cemetery.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions