Search for content in message boards

New York passenger lists - pages missing

New York passenger lists - pages missing

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WELLS
Is it common for the American born citizens returning to USA not to be listed on arrival? I am tracking a family of Wells who left Southampton on the St Louis on 23rd Oct 1897 who appear to be missing on arrival on 30th Oct in New York.

Other web site has 14 pages of records for this ship leaving UK but Ancestry only has 9 pages.

Re: New York passenger lists - pages missing

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 7:15AM GMT
You could ask Anc. where the other pages are (missed on photograping ???

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 11:34AM GMT
Surnames: Crow, Evans, Taylor, Reynolds. Davis, Mckinney, Wear.
Pages on Ancestry do not always coincide with page numbers on the original. When microfilming the original, there may be two or three, or more, original images on one exposed image. (It reduces cost.) Usually you can tell when studying the image. Compare the names between the tow lists and see if there are names missing.

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 3:46PM GMT
Surnames: WELLS
Thanks for views re my first post on missing pages or perhaps not. I have contacted Ancestry to ask if all pages are filmed but not heard back yet.

The Wells family (Mrs Lawrence Wells, and daughters Julia L, Elizabeth and Katherine) plus two other Wells do not seem to be on Ancestry lists but are on Find My Past for this ship.

I did originally read all pages last week and they did not seem to be there. It was quite important that I found if they did catch this ship as the date was crucial.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic