Peter Larson Dalslund/Dalsland

Peter Larson Dalslund/Dalsland

Richard Sanborn (View posts)
Posted: 14 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Larson, Walgren
Peter Larson son of Lars Walgren b. 1853 Dalslund/Dalsland
Sweden, m. Mathilda Andersdotter Johnson 1890. Children:
Hulda, Arthur, Edith and Andrew. Thanks, Dick S.

Peter Larson

Richard Sanborn (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Larson, Walgren
Sorry, left out Peter Larson lived in Chicago IL USA NA when he married. He moved to Ogema WI, USA NA died and is buried in Ogema.

Peter Larson, Dalslund/Dalsland

Posted: 29 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 12:45AM GMT
Dick:

Swedish Emigration records state the following:

Peter M. Larson, age 45, from Kalv parish in Alvsborg county (Dalslund is the northern part of), Left Goteborg on 11 May 1888 for Chicago.

The age is off by exactly ten years but this might be your Peter. No others came close to matching.

I hope this helps.

Donald W. Carlson
Posted: 11 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2002 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: Walgren
Hi,

My grandfather, John Konrad Walgren, was born in Rölanda, Sweden in 1890. His father was Johannes Andersson
Walgren, born in 1837.

John Konrad Walgren had brothers named Emil and Karl...sisters named Maya, Clara, Anna, and Alma.

If there are any matches, please write back.

Thanks.

Jon Walgren

Re: Walgren

Posted: 10 May 2003 11:42PM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2003 3:17PM GMT
My great-grandfather Lawrence Walgren immigrated from Sweden to Bay City, Michigan and came from Michigan to Sheridan County, Nebraska in 1885. His wife was Canadian, first name Anna.

Is the Jon Walgren on this board the one I see in credits on TV, first Chicago and then nationally? I've seen your name and wondered if we were somehow related.

Jon Walgren (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2003 6:08AM GMT
Hi,

Yes, I am the Jon Walgren you have seen on the TV credits. I work for a TV station in Chicago.

I don't recognize your ancestor, Lawrence Walgren.
My grandfather, John Konrad Walgren, was born in Rolanda, Sweden, and came to the US in 1909, settled in the Chicago area. I know he had many brothers and sisters. There was an Anders Walgren who immigrated to Canada... and another brother, Karl, who I don't know anything about.

What do you know about the "Walgren" name? I tried tracing my family back in Sweden and first found the "Walgren" name being used between 1863 and 1875. But I don't know how or why my great-grandfather came to start using the name.

Thanks,

Jon

Judy_Baouab (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2003 4:52PM GMT
Hi Jon,

I suppose you might already have received a lookup on the Emigrant CD but in case you didn't, here it is.

First name: JOHAN K
Last name: WALGREN
Parish: RÖLANDA County: P (Älvsborg)
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1909 04 21 (date of registering with the police to leave Sweden)
Destination: ST CHARLES IL
Fellows: NEJ (Nej = no. He traveled alone.)
Source: 88:548:85521

Two other Walgren men emigrated from Rölanda.

First name: ANDERS E
Parish: RÖLANDA County: P
Date: 1909 09 15
Destination: ST CHARLES IL
Fellows: NEJ
Source: 90:92:88471

First name: A EMIL
Last name: VALGREN (the same as Walgren)
Parish: RÖLANDA County: P
Date: 1907 03 22
Destination: HIBBING MINN.
Source: 83:265:5113

Rumor in the Chicago area is that the famous Walgreen drug store chain was started by a Swede named Walgren. We often wonder who that might have been. (I have no Walgren/Valgren ancestors, as far as I know.)

Judy
Orland Park, Illinois

Judy_Baouab (View posts)
Posted: 13 May 2003 4:57PM GMT
Hi Jon,

These are the only two Karl Walgren/Valgren on the cd.

First name: KARL A
Parish: BRUNSBY County: E (Östergötland)
Date: 1887 04 03
Destination: NORWAY
Source: 31:150:7933

First name: KARL JOHAN
Parish: HVALSTAD County: R (Skaraborg)
Date: 1903 05 08
Destination: LAFAGETTE MIN
Source: 73:87:1974

I didn't find any other Anders Walgren/Valgren other than the one listed previously. If he moved to Canada, it was not his destination when he first emigrated.

Judy

Posted: 14 May 2003 3:45PM GMT
<<Rumor in the Chicago area is that the famous Walgreen drug store chain was started by a Swede named Walgren. We often wonder who that might have been. (I have no Walgren/Valgren ancestors, as far as I know.)>>

My great-grandparents Lawrence and Annie Walgren went by the name of Walgreen when they settled in Hay Springs, Nebraska in 1885.
Their headstones say "WALGREEN". The family name was changed to Walgren some time after their deaths and it is a big family mystery. We still pronounce it with a hard "E".
He was wealthy enough to come from Michigan to Valentine, NE by train with his wife and 6 children (eventually had 10) and a box car full of lumber, seed, furniture, and livestock -- then rented wagons for the rest trip.
I know he had family left in the Eastern part of USA but the impression is they'd had a blowout and that's why he moved.
If you look on a detailed map of Nebraska, you'll find Walgren State Recreation Area near Hay Springs (NW part of state) --
had a huge land claim, then died at 40 of a brain anurism and land parcelled off by his wife to the 10 kids.
Lake was on my grandpa's share, which he sold to the state in the 1950s. My sister and I were the last Walgrens born to the farm and my Dad, the last one to work it.
All that's left is the barn which was a marvel of Swedish invention.

Posted: 14 May 2003 3:49PM GMT
Hi Jon, don't know how to run this board very well so am posting this again in case I did it wrong the first time.

<<Rumor in the Chicago area is that the famous Walgreen drug store chain was started by a Swede named Walgren. We often wonder who that might have been. (I have no Walgren/Valgren ancestors, as far as I know.)>>

My great-grandparents Lawrence and Annie Walgren went by the name of Walgreen when they settled in Hay Springs, Nebraska in 1885.
Their headstones say "WALGREEN". The family name was changed to Walgren some time after their deaths and it is a big family mystery. We still pronounce it with a hard "E".
He was wealthy enough to come from Michigan to Valentine, NE by train with his wife and 6 children (eventually had 10) and a box car full of lumber, seed, furniture, and livestock -- then rented wagons for the rest trip.
I know he had family left in the Eastern part of USA but the impression is they'd had a blowout and that's why he moved.
If you look on a detailed map of Nebraska, you'll find Walgren State Recreation Area near Hay Springs (NW part of state) --
had a huge land claim, then died at 40 of a brain anurism and land parcelled off by his wife to the 10 kids.
Lake was on my grandpa's share, which he sold to the state in the 1950s. My sister and I were the last Walgrens born to the farm and my Dad, the last one to work it.
All that's left is the barn which was a marvel of Swedish invention.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions