Search for content in message boards

James Shaw, Clara Harrington 1889

Harrington Family

Viettia Newcomb (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harrington, Holden
I have in my files a Clara Harrington, who married a Dr. Ray. Dr. Ray owned the Owl Drugstore, in Lewiston, Idaho. Clara's sister, Susan Edna (also Susie Etta) married John Riley Holden.

They were daughters of James Edward and Melinda Harrington.

James Shaw, Clara Harrington 1889

Joan (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Harrington, Gifford, Sperry
We are searching for any information on James SHAW, who was b. 1856 in Wisconsin, and eventually (when?) settled in Latah County area. At one time he also lived in Nez Perce County. The family story handed down says he ran away from home at an early age -- but we don't know if that story referred to a home in Wisconsin, or if the family was already in Idaho. I don't have access to census records so haven't been able to locate him on a census in Idaho, and we're not clear on when they lived in Latah Co., and when they lived in Nez Perce Co.

We know he married Clara Belle HARRINGTON in Feb. 1889, but he may have had previous marriages, as he did not marry Clara Harrington until he was abt. age 33. The marriage to Clara Harrington took place at the home of the bride's parents -- Edward & Melinda Andrus Harrington.

James & Clara SHAW had 3 children: Franklin Edward SHAW, Beta SHAW, and Ruth SHAW - they all grew up & lived in the areas of Latah County & Nez Perce County

In 1915, in Calif., James Shaw's son Franklin Shaw was married to Bess L. GIFFORD, dau of Charles & Mary Sperry GIFFORD of Lewiston, Nez Perce County,Idaho.

Thanks for any information you could provide about this James Shaw -- so far he has been a real mystery to us.

Joan
whatever@e3mil.com

Re: James Shaw, Clara Harrington 1889

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 4:32PM GMT
I am the great grand daughter of Clara Shaw and was raised by her in Klamath Falls, Or. I can clarify some of your questions. It is true that Clara and James moved to Idaho and there had children: Frank, who graduated from Stanford and married Bess and lived for many years in Long Beach, WA., where he taught school and raised beautiful show goats. I spent a lot of time there and have fond memories of playing with the goats. He had children but all I remember about them is that they were named Kevin and Kyle.
Beta was reported to have died when thrown from a horse in a rushing river where he was trapped in a natural rock bridge.
Ruth (Melinda) Shaw was my grandmother. She adopted me but I lived mostly with Clara (affectionately known to friends as "Shazie." As far as I was concerned, she was a saint. She was much beloved by everyone and spent most of her time baking and gardening. Very beautiful, very charming.
Her husband, James apparently left her in Idaho to raise the three children on her own. All of the children were born in Lewiston, and the comment about Nez Pierce territory rang a bell. She supported her family by baking. She delivered her goods on horseback with an Indian friend who provided protection.
It was Ruth who married John Ray, who owned Owl drug stores in Portland. He died at a relatively young age of a rare blood disease, leaving her to raise her three children, Jack, Mary Jane and Lawrence (my biological father)
In any case, It appears that I have a vast database of family history, but I live in Utah and sun is a rare commodity this time of year, so I must get to the garden.
Please contact me with questions.
Sincerely, Victoria

Re: Harrington Family

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 12:27AM GMT
Clara Harrington was the mother of Ruth Belinda Shaw, who Married John Ray, the son of early pioneers who settled in St. Paul, OR. They owned Owl Drugstores in and around Portland. They had three children, John. Larry (lawrence) and Mary Jane. Larry was my biological father but I grew up with Ruth and Clara. John died at a relatively young age of a rare blood disorder. Ruth remarried (twice).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions