Search for content in message boards

Frances Bolling, 1810-185?

Frances Bolling, 1810-185?

Fred Hof (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bolling
In the 1850 Buckingham County census, Robert Bolling (son of Lenaeus, grandson of Col. Robert) was enumerated with his wife, Frances, and a 4-year-old son named Robert. Frances would give birth to my wife's ggrandmother, Susan Peyton Bolling, in 1851. We presume that Frances died either during or shortly after childbirth.

We are seeking the full identity of Frances. According to the census she would have been born around 1810. Names we're focusing on as candidates include Turner, Robertson and Goode.

Robert Bolling and Frances

Elaine Bolling (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Bolling, Markham, Hobson, Watkins, Brackett, Burton
Regarding the Buckingham County census: Hi, I have Linnaeus Bolling (1773-1836) wed to Mary Markham and one of 4 children was Robert Bolling wed to 3 wives: Sarah Hobson, Mary Watkins, and Martha Brackett. Linnaeus was son of Robert Bolling[17 Aug 1738-1769, attorney, served in House of Burgess, 2nd wife was Mary Burton, and was a son of Major John Bolling1700-1757] and Susan Watson Bolling.
I got that info from a gedcom file I found at AOL genealogy files to download. But I have another resource I'll check on this for you. I've heard the Peyton name in there somewhere.

Posted: 5 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bolling Yeager Pruitt Stidham
Buckingham County, Va.
Hi,James Emory. Thank you for posting reply on this. I wondered about the gedcom files. One of them was by a woman who did her genealogy for the Daughters of the American Revolution, and I've learned that everything they print up isn't always accurate (which is true of many genealogy books written in the past, for that matter) and the other gedcom file was from someone who never responded to my request regarding where they got their information.
so, it's always good to hear from someone who knows more about the subject.
My Bolling line is from Virginia as well. My grandfather (died before I ever knew him in train accident in August 1942) was born in Wise, Va to John Preston Bolling(12 Feb 1867-25 May 1954) and Samantha Stidham. John Preston(1836-1906) was descended from John Daniel Bolling and Melvina Craft . all the above men born in Wise, Va. John Daniel's dad was Jeremiah Bolling,Jr. (B 1809 in Russell Co,VA Bold Camp), son of Jeremiah Bolling,Sr.(BFeb 7, 1782 Randolph Co, NC ,D 1852), son of Benjamin Bolling, son of Major John Bolling, etc...
Just wondered how I'm related to you. Thanks, Elaine Bolling

Posted: 5 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Mar 2002 4:24PM GMT
Elaine --

The information on Robert Bolling matchins very little that I have from over 35+ years of looking. Some of it is there but in the wrong place. Robert Bolling was one of eight children that survived his fathers death in 1757. His parents were Col. John Bolling and Elizabeth Bland Blair. We know this from a manuscript produced by him and republish in 1868. Robert Bolling was born 8-17-1738, however he died in 1775. The year 1769 was first published in Wyndham Robertson's book Pocahontas and her descendants. However, it contains errors one is very obvious Linneaus Bolling was born in 1773. That would mean he was born 4 years after his fathers death. This is what I know about this family, the names and dates are availble county records:

Robert Bolling born 8-17-1738 and died 1775

+ (1) Mary Burton on 6-15-1763
.........Mary Burton Bolling born 4-30-1764 died 8-3-1787 married Robert Bolling (of the Stith Bollings)on 11-4-1781.

+ (2) Susanna Watson of Amherst County 5-31-1765
.........Pocahontas Rebecca Bolling 1766 married Joseph Cabell of Amherst County. He marries second Ann Everard Bolling Duval widow of Samuel Sheppard Duval. Pocahontas Rebecca Bollings 1st cousin. The Cabell's move to Kentucky in early 1800's.
.........Son (possibly John shows up in Amherst with wife Sarah "Sallie" in late 1790's) born 1769
.........Powhatan Bolling born 1767 and died after 1802.
.........Elizabeth Blair Bolling born 1771 married Maj. Thomas West in 1788.
.........Linneaus Bolling born 1773 and died 1-7-1836 married Mary Markum in 1793.

Note. Ann Everard Bolling was the daughter of Archibald Bolling -- brother to Robert Bolling. So Ann was Pocahontas Rebecca Bolling's first cousin. Archibald Bolling made his home in Campbell County.

When Robert died in 1775, Mary was 11, Pocahontas was 9, Powhatan was 8, John was 6, Elizabeth was 4, and Linneaus was 2. Thomas Bolling and Elizabeth Gay family and Robert's brother and his wife stated in documents that Robert had three sons and three daughters.

I hope this clears up things. My mother was a Bolling of Virginia.

Bolling/bowling line

Posted: 6 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Buckingham County VA page
Yes, we are cousins since Robert Bolling((1738-1769) was a brother to Benjamin Bolling.
Don't know how accurate this is, but I had Mary Burton as apparently a first wife to Robert and they wed June 5, 1763 and died in childbirth in 1764 when Mary Burton Bolling was born, their first child, on 30 April 1764-1787. This daughter was first of 4 wives to Robert Bolling(3 Mar 1759-1839), he was her cousin and he was great grandson of Col. Robert Bolling(1646-1709 by 2nd wife Anne Stith). They had one child Anne Robertson Bolling(1787-1 May 1828) who wed John N. Campbell
Susan/Susanna Watson Bolling and Robert Bolling : all I have other than Linnaeus and Powhatan, is Pocahontas Rebecca Bolling wed to Joseph Cabell in 1782, and Elizabeth Blair Bolling wed to Thomas West.
I have the children of Linnaeus Bolling (1773-1836) who wed Mary Markham as: 1. Mary Bolling wed James Madison Cobbs 2.Susan Pocahontas Bolling died in 1849, wed to Robert Thurston Hubbard, 3. Philip Bolling, judge, wed Mary Eppes/or Epps. 4. Robert Bolling wed Sarah Hobson, Mary Watkins, Martha Brackett.
I have read of some references to Judge Zelma Price (think her maiden name was Wells) and some debate over her sources.(as happens a lot in this family line). It seems it was at this link for the Baker-Bolin-L Homepage which also lists addresses of various Bolling/Bowling researchers and their lines they are researching http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/8056/bakerb.html
it would also be a good place to share your research as it is a central place for researchers on the Bolling/Bowlings to put material. It is the only one I know of (that doesn't charge a membership fee like The Bolling Family Association, which is the same family line we are discussing)
I have only purchased one book on the Bolling line, by RLJTPS@aol.com on this family line, but haven't had the time to look up any connections for what you are researching, it has several different indexes and everything in it isn't necessarily indexed). John Sullivan composed it from various resources and it seems to be fairly accurate for the most part, and he is always open to contributions from other family members who want to put their family in it (even if they aren't certain where they link up at, there's a section for unknown Bollings/Bowlings ) his website is here regarding the 2 volume paperback book on this family: http://hometown.aol.com/rltjps/myhomepage/sale.html
Should I run across anything relevant to your search, then I will let you know. But truth is, I figure we'll never know everything because that's just the way it is, courthouses sometimes burned with lost records or records were never kept in the first place, records not always complete and family disagreements where they had lack of communication. One thing I have learned is that colonial law didn't require them to list all the children in their wills, since often most of the children had long been established in their own families, so wills are helpful but don't give all the facts. The questions I would have liked to ask my ancestors can't be asked anyway because they are long dead, so I can only wonder and be grateful that I live in this day and age when we have so much to be thankful for technology-wise and so much to have learned from past history of mankind. Still, it's fun to know what one can find out about one's family tree.

Bolling (Bowling) line

Posted: 6 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hi Elaine,

My search started with a conversation I had with my grandparents about 1962 in their front parlor looking at portraits. Out of six children my mother was the only girl. Her name was Irene Hampton Bowling (1917-1989). Her parents were Thomas Herbert Bowling (1886-1963)and Ora Marshall Bowling(1894-1977)he was the son of Elijah Daniel Bolling (1853-1925)and Judah Francis Campbell (1853-1900), she was the daughter of Andrew Morgan Bolling (1850-1926)and Sarah Jane Campbell(1853-1924). Andrew Morgan Bolling was the older brother of Elijah Daniel Bolling Nelson County Virginia. They were the sons of Powhatan L. Bolling (1828-1864)and Mariah Susannah Massie(1832-??)after Powhatans death she remarried a Robert L. Mays of Amherst County Virginia. Susannah and Robert had two more children Luther Brown Mays and Francis Mays. Elijah Daniel Bolling's wife's younger sister Sophronia Campbell married Luther Brown Mays. Powhatan Bolling was the son of Thomas H. Bolling(1798-1860) and Rhoda Campbell(1799-1860). They had a farm in Nelson County and a Mansion in Amherst. I have a copy of both of their death certificates. Thomas' father was John Bolling (1769-1827)and Sarah "Sallie" ???(1769-1841). John Bolling is were the family is stuck because he appears in Amherst County with his wife Sarah in the late 1790's. Three of my cousins and I are working on this and have confined the possible fathers to two; Archibald Bolling and Robert Bolling and Susan Watson. Archibald Bolling was our first inclination and we worked on it for two years. Last month I started to look at Robert Bolling because the Pocahontas Foundation's book Pocahontas'Descendats said that Robert had three sons and three daughters. I know two of the sons Powhatan and Lineaus. All of Col.John Bolling's surviving sons each named a son John. The 1810 census records a John Bolling in Amherst of the right age. All of Robert's children were raised by Susanna Watson--who was from there and is where she married Robert Bolling 5-31-1765. Also many of their children moved to Amherst after they married. Chellowe (now Indian Gap)is not too far from Amherst. On the Amherst County page please see my Land Patent entry from the orginal document for Powhatan Bolling 1791 - son of Robert and Susanna Watson Bolling. PS Robert was the one would listed the surviving children of Col. John and Elizabeth Bland Blair Bolling (that outlived his father's death in 1757)to only 8, by a manuscript he wrote in 1768 and was published in a newspaper in 1868. This document and the work of Wyndham Robertson is what the Pocahontas Foundation uses to decide descendancy. Judge Price may her finding available to the Foundation which mentions Benjamin Bolling, Powhatan Bolling, William as well as a few others that went on to marry and produce offspring. I have William,John,Thomas,Archibald,Pocahontas,Elizabeth James,and Jesse all through our family for names. I have most of the portraits of Powhatan, Susannah Massie, Elijah, Andrew, Sarah,and Thomas H. Bowling. Everyone who sees Powhatan, Elijah, and Andrew say they are native americans. My father was E.J. Emory (1912-1992),one of 14 children born to Bird Hawk Emory and Ella Mae Smith. Bird was the son of William Emory and Tempy Richards (see was a Cherokee Indian) from South Carolina. When my father went to join the Navy during WWII, he had to have a name so his mother made one up for him (his father died in 1918), so he used Ellis James Emory.

So if Benjamin Bolling is Robert's brother then that is how we are related.

I was a Communication major if you haven't figured out by the length of this e-mail.
James

Robert Bolling

Posted: 7 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hi Elaine,

Just thought I would let you know the correct dates for Robert Bolling. Born 8-17-1738 died 7-21-1775. The dates you gave yesterday matched Wyndham Robertson first publication of Pocahontas' Descendants. If Robert did die in 1769 Linnaeus would have been born 4 years after his death. When the Pocahontas Foundation picked up his work they changed it to 1775. Yesterday, I had received from a cousin the following:

Virginia Gazette - Williamsburg, VA - Saturday, July 29, 1775.

Col. Robert Bolling of Buckingham died on Friday last (July 21) at Richmond. One of the delegates for Buckingham County. p.3, c.2.

James

Re: Robert Bolling and Frances

Posted: 26 Feb 2004 6:40PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2005 11:42PM GMT
Surnames: Bolling, Gay, Duncan
James,
Do you know anything about the Robert Bolling and Elizabeth Gay family? A cousin of mine, who was born in 1860 and died in the 1920's, was named for Powhatan and said he came through this line. He said that they had a daughter named Ellen who married a Duncan. I have not been able to prove any connection. This Duncan's son, Joseph, was in the Rev. War.

James Emory (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2004 1:27PM GMT
Glenda,
I have only one Duncan showing in the Robert Bolling red line, Bessie Duncan who married Paul Eldridge in 1886. No Duncan's are mentioned in the white line. Elizabeth Gay was the daughter of Elizabeth Bolling who married Dr. William Gay. I don't see an Ellen in Elizabeth's children but their son Capt. William Gay married three times and with his second wife only noted as the widow Ward (maiden name Eggleston) a daughter Ellen Gay married Jacob Skein. Ellen had a brother named Powhatan A. Gay born 1834. Powhatan shows no marriages or issues.

James

Posted: 3 Mar 2004 12:24PM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2004 2:44PM GMT
There are many Bolling's in Chesterfield. Col. Robert, Col. John were in Chesterfield County, VA. The Bolling's "homeplace" or "plantation" was called "Cobbs". Chesterfield has many of it's records intact. Powhatan County has Bollings in their history. They were part of Chesterfield. Bolling's were prominent citizens in Chesterfield. Good Luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic