Search for content in message boards

Remington DNA project?

Remington DNA project?

Posted: 4 Apr 2005 5:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Remington
Are there any direct male line Remington descendants who are interested in doing a Remington Surname DNA project at http://www.familytreedna.com/

I am trying to link up the variations from the Southern Remingtons from the 1780s (NC, SC, Ga, Tenn. etc) to the ones from the North. A John Remington (lawyer or Justice of the Peace) in South Carolina after the 1740s, with sons Abraham and John Jr. likely desended from the John Remington (lawyer) and wife who left Philadelphia after the Freemason burning scandal involving Benjamin Franklin in about 1737. Tieing up the early connections is a bit difficult once we get back to the revolution.

Re: Remington DNA project?

Posted: 25 Apr 2005 12:53AM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2005 11:27PM GMT
I cannot prove my Remington ancestry past Jacob Remington who supposedly born in TN (abt 1800) and had son John (abt 1832) in IN.
I would like to know more about the DNA project.

Posted: 25 Apr 2005 5:30PM GMT
Hi Gary,

We should be in the same line if the family history is correct. Your Jacob is likely from the John and Margaret Remington line (Chatham, NC in 1788 [sold land in 1797); Dumplin Creek 1800-1813; Six Mile, Blount Co, Tn to 1824). I believe my line is through Isaac (born in Tennessee in 1801) and he was the younger brother of Jacob. Joseph (bn 1794 in NC, and Lydia [Rouse] were born 1796 in NC). The whole group migrated to Indiana about 1823-4 and spread out.

I have taken the genetree DNA project and an awaiting a copy of the results. I will post them on the above site and I understnad that only male line Remington descendants (of which I am one) would participate to match markers.

This might also help match up the origins back to Pa or Md. from NC. I did find that the John Remingotn who was in Charleston, SC after 1740 was born in London in his papers swearing him in as Justice of the Peace. I think the line we are looking for are more likely migrations from Franklin/Montgomery county, MD (A John and a William Remington were there pre-Revolution) or else Chester Co area of Philadelphia (several remington families). The reaon is the area of Chatham where John and Margaret first appear is old Quaker and regulator country. Margaret became Baptist, which often happens after they marry outside Quaker faith or else move on from that religion.

A DNA registry by Remington male heirs may connect the lines further north or may show a much further back. So far, you are the first to respond so as many as want to participate can do so by the site above and then post the results. Thanks.

Re: Remington DNA project at ysearch.org

Posted: 25 Apr 2005 5:38PM GMT
Sorry, the site to post your results is:

http://www.ysearch.org/

As soon as my results come back, I'll post them and start a new Remington line there. Presently, there are no Remington variants listed.

Posted: 27 Jun 2005 2:38AM GMT
I am a direct line Remington and would like to know the status of the John you refer to. As for DNA I am a woman and not a candidate. I have acousin who is still alive a son of my uncle. Only problem is he is part indian as my uncle married a full blooded indian.so I doubt he could be a candidate even if he agreed to have the test done. anna

Posted: 27 Jun 2005 7:24AM GMT
Anna, male line Y chromosome DNA is unique to direct male line descendants. Maternal side is irrelevant, but he can also do a Native American marker.

Ho do you connect with the John from SC?

Posted: 28 Jun 2005 2:44AM GMT
I do not know if I connect with that John as I cannot get back further than 1810.

My gr grandfather, John Wesley Remington, is son of a James and Sarah Remington according to his death report. There is only one James listed in Vermont Census, one in Woodstock Ct. and one in N. C. in the early census.

I know that my dad and my uncle said that we come out of the line of the gun maker and artist, but that is only hearsay.I regret that I did not ask more questions when dad was alive. He died in 1940. Born in 1890,

I have the whole graph of John Remington Line from LDS And sttill cannot prove my line as yet. I am not giving up ans some day I will have it if I live long enough. anna

Re: Remington

Posted: 9 Jul 2005 11:42PM GMT
What are the exact details of the 1810 brick wall? Name, age, exact location, etc.?

Update on DNA Results

Posted: 9 Jul 2005 11:55PM GMT
Garry,

Got my results back. They should be online at ysearch.org. Basicly, only 1 direct match so far on all 37 markers in England, but after 1835. So, the common ancestor had to be pre-1800. Several one step away connections that I have not yet been able to analyze. But the haplotype is a I1a (Saxon or Viking desended).

For those interested, it is about $289 to test just the Y link on 37 markers. The more direct line male Remington descendants who test, the better to develop the actual proveable history links on the pre-1800 lines of descent and later descendants. There are several testers, but I did mine at www.familytreedna.com

Good luck and if you know any Remingtons who want to test, that is the way to go.

Re: Remington

Anna R. Stimson (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2005 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: Seymour, Woodworth, Wheeler, Webster, Hickox, Treat, Smith
Hi, I cannot give you an exact location. All I know that my John Weslley Remington was born in Vermont. Either 1810 or 1811. His obituary states that he was born in Vermont, and that at an early age moved to Whitestown, N. Y. He lived there a while, also lived iin Westmoreland and then to Rome, N. Y. He was a carpenter and built the Freight Station in Rome and many buildings. His final move was to Vineland, N. J. where he died in 1894. His first wife was Hannah Seymour, married at Oriskany, N. Y. in 1841 wgi dued ub 1747. About 1850 married her sister Louisa Seymour, widow of Rev. A. Beebe at Westmoreland or Heckla Works.

According to his death report he was the son of James and Sarah Remington.. I have been searching James Remington but have not been able to find which James.

I would appreciate any information that may help me get this brick wall torn down. Thank you, anna
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions