Search for content in message boards

WOLFORD >Maryland>Hampshire Co, WVA

WOLFORD >Maryland>Hampshire Co, WVA

Cindy (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2001 2:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Mar 2003 8:13AM GMT
Surnames: WOLFORD, LIDENER, SHANHOLTZER, GRAPES, LEMON, SHROADS, CRIM, McKNIGHT, KIDWELL, BENNETT, HAWKINS
Much of this info is from Shanholtzer History and Allied Family Roots of Hampshire Co WVA and Frederick Co, VA. by Wilmer Kerns, PhD. Looking for additional info on all the following:

John Wolford b 11 Aug 1763, Washington Co MD; d 14 Nov 1849 Hampshire Co, VA (now WVA), m. Catherine Lidener b 8 Feb 1764, d Bef 1849.

Children:

Henry Wolford b 20 Oct 1789, m. Elizabeth Kidwell, b. 17 July 1791 in Hampshire Co WVA

Rosanna Wolford b 1790 m. George Crim

Adam Wolford b ca 1792

Martin Wolford, b ca 1794. d 17 May 1872, m. Mary "Polly" Crim

Elizabeth Wolford b ca 1797

John Wolford b 4 Mar 1799, d 16 Nov 1875, m. Catherine Shroads

Jacob Wolford b 6 Mar 1800, d 10 Jul 1874 Hampshire Co, VA (now WVA) (buried at the Wolford Farm, Hampshire Co, WVA) m. Catherine Grapes, b 1799, daughter of David Grapes and Hannah Lemon (ESPECIALLY INTERESTED IN THIS LINE, INCLUDING GRAPES/LEMONS ANCESTRY). This couple had 10 children, one of which was Azariah Wolford b ca 1831-1833, m. Nancy Jane Shanholtzer, daughter of Philip Shanholtzer and Emily Hawkins. Looking for Emily Hawkins ancestry as well.

Phoebe Wolford b 24 Jun 1802

Isabella Wolford b 10 Apr 1805, d 4 Jan 1870, m. William Bennett

Ann Wolford, b 1807, unmarried, two daughters, Deborah and Lucinda

Sussannah Wolford, b. 1808, m. Moses McKnight

Any and all info about any of these families is appreciated. Would like to share/compare notes with other family researchers.

John Wolford of Hampshire County

Posted: 22 Sep 2001 1:43PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2003 8:14AM GMT
Surnames: Wolford, Summerfield, Woolever
I have some limited info on John's descendents. Not too much on Jacob's children--just a daughter. I can send you a file with notes--that'll probably be easier and more informative then just sending names, dates and places.

And speaking of John Wolford--there is another John Wolford that lived in Hampshire county. He was born 1754, Montgomery County, PA and moved to WV after the Revolutionary War. In 1799/1800, he moved to Randolph county, WV. He married Elizabeth Woolever and Mary Summerfield. His children are Jacob, John, Jemima, Anna, and Martin. I have more info on this PA John than the MD John.

Regards,
Diane

Re: John Wolford of Hampshire County

Cindy (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2001 2:16PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2003 8:15AM GMT
Surnames: Wolford
Diane - I would be very interested in receiving a file of the info you have on the MD John Wolford. My email is cshaffer@houston.rr.com. I would appreciate seeing the info onthe PA John as well, I don't think it's a match, but doesn't hurt to check.

Thanks and if there is any info I might have you are interested in, please let me know - I'm more than happy to share.

Thanks,
Cindy

John Wolford b. Maryland, first generation

Posted: 6 Nov 2001 9:19PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2003 8:17AM GMT
Surnames: WOLFORD, WOOLFORD, SNYDER, STRADER, BOWMAN, HITE, MINEAR, STUMP, BRAKE
1. John WOLFORD, b. 1762, Washington County, Maryland. He married Catherine SNYDER?, b. 1747-70, d. BEFORE 1849, Hampshire County, West Virginia. John died 18 Nov 1849, Hampshire County, West Virginia, Buried: Hampshire, West Virginia. There may be some confusion to the researchers looking at Wolford's who lived in Hampshire County, West Virginia.
Two John Wolford lived in Hampshire County. One lived there til he died (this one) and the other for 17 years and later moved
his family to Randolph County, West Virginia by 1800 and remained there until he died.
(That land later belonged to Tucker County when it was formed.) This 'other' John
Wolford stayed in Hampshire County and raised his family there. The confusion appears
in the children: both had descendants with similar names.

Abstracts Rev War Pension Files:
Wolford, John b.1763, Md.Line, R10027 b. in Wash Co.Md. Lived there when he enlisted &
later moved to Hampshire Co.,Va. about1805 & he lived there when he applied 24 Nov. 1845
Will: 14 Nov 1849, proved 26 Nov 1849 No. w, 10 ch. 1-Henry, 2-Martin, 3-Jacob,
4-Elizabeth, 5-Phoebe, 6-Ann, she gets 1/3 of farm he lives on, then it goes to her
daughters, Lucinda and Deborah, 7-Adam, 8-John, 9-Rosanna Crim, 10-Isabella Bennett.
Exec: Christopher and Frederick Heiskell Sec: Henry and Martin Wolford, Josiah
Constable Wit: Phil Fahs, Perry A Stewart (From "Early Records, Hampshire County
Virginia, Now West Virginia 1782-1860)

From Bill Pyles (wpyles@cfl.rr.com): In records discovered in the basement of the Hampshire County courthouse in 2000, the following records were discovered but haven't been researched.
WOLFORD, JOHN
14 NOV 1849 WILL
26 NOV 1849 PROBATED
(IN FILE CASE OF CARMICHAEL VS WOLFORD)
11 DEC 1849 APPRAISEMENT
1859 SETTLEMENT
The best place to do this is Potomac State College, Keyser. The copies are a fraction of what is charged at the Romney Library or courthouse.

From book "German Element in Virginia" chapter 7: (Concerning the migration and settlement) From the valleys of the South Branch of the Potomac they moved westward and
helped to build up Hampshire, Hardy and Pendleton Counties. Surnames found in early records include: STRADER, BOWMAN, HITE, MINEAR, STUMP, SNYDER, WOOLFORD
and BRAKE. The footnote on the page says the author retrieved this info from "Fast and Maxwell's History of West Virginia" on page 9. (Note:) Not sure if this is in reference to this Maryland John Wolford or Pennsylvania John Wolford, since the Maryland John never left Hampshire County. Perhaps refers to both.)
There's a John Wolford that appears in Luthern Observer, 1831-1861, marriage and death notices. Died 18 Nov near North River Mills, Hampshire County, Virginia (WV), age 87 y 3 m 6 d. Catherine: Date/name From "The West Virginia Advocate, 1991".
Children:
2. i Henry b. 20 Oct 1789.
3. ii Martin b. 1794.
4. iii Jacob.
iv Elizabeth WOLFORD.
v Phoebe WOLFORD.
vi Ann WOLFORD, Remarks: dau: Lucinda & Deborah.
vii Adam WOLFORD.
viii John WOLFORD.
5. ix Rosanna.
x Isabella WOLFORD, Remarks: Marriage Bond 1824-28. She married William BENNETT, 1824-28.
xi Susanna WOLFORD. She married Moses McNIGHT.

Re: John Wolford b. Maryland, second generation

Posted: 6 Nov 2001 9:21PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2003 8:19AM GMT
Surnames: Wolford, Kidwell, Rinehart, Hayes, Crimm, Gant, Metcalf
I have more generations on some. Just email me at Snowberi@aol.com

2. Henry WOLFORD, b. 20 Oct 1789. He married (1) Elizabeth KIDWELL, b. 17 Jul 1791, d. ABOUT 1825, Hampshire County, West Virginia. He married (2) Margaret RINEHART. DOB according to Flo Day (raime@visuallink.com) "per family bible". Elizabeth: Info from Flo Day (raime@visuallink.com). Father John Kidwell, mother Eleanore Hayes. Margaret: Info from Flo Day (raime@visuallink.com).
Children by Margaret RINEHART:
i John David WOLFORD, b. 1824, Hoye, Hampshire County, West Virginia. DOB/POB from wpyles@cfl.rr.com (Bill Pyles).

3. Martin WOLFORD, b. 1794, West Virginia, Remarks: Operated a Sawmill. He married Mary CRIMM, 3 Aug 1815, in Berkeley County, Virginia (WV), d. AFTER 1872. Martin died 17 May 1872, Hampshire County, West Virginia, Buried: Malick Cemetery, Hoy, West Virginia. Martin's birthplace is uncertain since John's first recorded evidence
in Hampshire was in 1796. In Hampshire county clerk deed book,
Martin received 275 acres of land from John Gant in 1842. In the
Minute Book, Martin was assessed with 316.75 acres on Tearcoat
Drains, close to John's land. A sawmill is on this land, part of it will
standing, near US Rt 50, 1 mile below Augusta.Martin's will is dated
4 Mar 1872 and signed with Martin's signature; will book #22.
Note: Census and other records says a Daniel lived with Martin;
also maybe a Michael, son of Mary Crim, from a previous marriage,
adopted by Martin and raised with the family. (His line is included.)
There also may be a Henry who died young. These three are just
guesses. Mary: Also known as Polly.
Children:
6. i Michael C b. 16 Jul 1813.
7. ii John J b. 1816.
8. iii Peter b. 8 Jul 1818.
9. iv Adam b. 1820.
10. v William b. 1823.
vi Daniel WOLFORD, b. 1829, Remarks: died early? No children?.
11. vii Richard M b. 1831.
12. viii Rebecca b. 1833.

4. Jacob WOLFORD. .
Children:
i Lucy Ann WOLFORD. She married Fenton METCALF, 28 Oct 1826, (son of Asa METCALF).

5. Rosanna WOLFORD. She married George CRIMM.
Children:
13. i Mary.

Re: Any additional information on the 6th child, John?

Wes Campbell (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2002 5:03AM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2003 8:20AM GMT
Surnames: WOLFORD, SHROADS, EDWARDS
Would anyone out there have any additional information on 6th child of this family, John:
"John Wolford b 4 Mar 1799, d 16 Nov 1875, m. Catherine Shroads"

I think he could be the father of my gggrandfather, James R. Wolford, born 1837 in Marion County, Wv. James' spouse was Nancy Edwards. They relocated to Fayette County, Pa. where they interred.

Re: Any additional information on the 6th child, John?

Diane Wolford (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2002 11:28PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2003 8:21AM GMT
Surnames: WOLFORD, SHROADS, SIDENER
Hope this helps:
Catherine SHROADS, b. 14 Nov 1804, d. 18 Jun 1864, m. John WOLFORD, 23 July 1825 in Frederick County, Virginia, b. 4 May 1799, (son of John WOLFORD and Catherine SIDENER) d. 16 Nov 1875 in Fairmont, Marion County, West Virginia. Note on John: Wilmer Kerns: "They lived in Hampshire County for more than a decade, before moving to Harrison County, West Virginia. According to a Bible record, seven children were born to this union: Jane Ann, John Henry, Adam Sidner, Mary Ellen, Delilah Catherine, Isabelle Reading, and James Richard Wolford. Descendants still live in Harrison and Marion Counties."

Children:
i Jane Ann WOLFORD.
ii John Henry WOLFORD.
iii Adam Sidner WOLFORD.
iv Mary Ellen WOLFORD.
v Delilah Catherine WOLFORD.
vi Isabelle Reading WOLFORD.
vii James Richard WOLFORD.

Warning: There are two Hampshire John Wolford descendants. One is John Wolford from Maryland that moved into the county in late 1790s; other is John Wolford from NJ/PA that moved in earlier but moved to Randolph/Tucker county in 1799/1800.

Re: Any additional information on the 6th child, James Richard Wolford

Wes (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2002 4:16PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2003 8:22AM GMT
Surnames: Wolford
Thanks for your reply,

I was really interested in James Richard Wolford and what became of him. Do you have any information on him?

I think he MAY be one of my ancestors.

Wes

Re: Any additional information on the 6th child, James Richard Wolford

Diane Wolford (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2002 7:09PM GMT
No, sorry, but I bet there's some info on Hampshire county census films.

Re: WOLFORD >Maryland>Hampshire Co, WVA

Posted: 7 Mar 2003 1:39AM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2005 2:29AM GMT
Surnames: Wolford, Woolford, Rhinehart, McNamar, Ellis
My James H. Wolford was born in 1827 VA, his Parents were Henry Woolford and Margaret Rhinehart. James married a Rebecca McNamar born 1832 V. Their daughter and son were born in WV, Romney, Hampshire, WV- Sarah Francis Wolford was born may 4, 1853- she later married a Hiram James Ellis, her brother was Felix- we know nothing of Felix.

In 1864, James H. moved his family to Wilmington, OH. I am not sure if this helps, Good Luck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic