Search for content in message boards

Cemeteries in Halifax Co. NC

Cemeteries in Halifax Co. NC

Posted: 22 Dec 2008 3:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for cemetery close to where the County Hospital (where people with TB would have went in the 1920's). My great grandma died there and was buried by the county. We would like to mark her grave.

Re: Cemeteries in Halifax Co. NC

Posted: 23 Dec 2008 1:58PM GMT
The best source of information you are seeking might be
found at: Halifax County Library, PO Box 97, Granville St.,
Halifax, NC 27839-0097 (252)583-3631
In their genealogy area, is a soft-backed booklet called
"The Cemetary Book", and lists all cemetaries and some
notations, along with names of people buried in each.
Also, the librarians are very well versed in history of
Halifax County, and should be happy to help you.

One other source:
COURT SERVICES BUILDING (Courthouse)
Registrar's Office, Judy Barbee
357 FERRELL LANE
(PO Box 67) Halifax, NC
(252)583-2101.

Posted: 23 Dec 2008 5:11PM GMT
What is your grandmother's name? The location might be listed on her death certificate. Also, there are a number of cemetery listings online for Halifax County that might contain her name.

Deloris

Posted: 24 Dec 2008 2:03AM GMT
Her name was Irene (Newsom(e) maiden name) Prince. She was born between 1909 and 1911 and died around 1927 or 1928. The death certificate i found for her list only Halifax Co. under cemetery name. Irene is the name she went by (not sure of her whole name. Her mother's name according to census records and siblings death certificates was Edna Johnson. Father David Newsom.

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 6:51PM GMT
I assume she was the person listed as MRS. H. R. PRINCE, age 18, died June 1, 1927 Halifax Co.NC, as listed in the North Carolina Death Certificates on Ancestry.com. I don't see the PRINCE surname in any of the Cemetery listings I've found, so far, but then too, there may not have been a tombstone for her, either. Unfortunately, quite a few of the people who died in the County Home didn't have tombstones because their families weren't able to pay for one. There are some cemetery listings online for Halifax Co., as I said, and you may want to look through them, but your best bet may be the suggestion supplied by the other person who posted a reply to your original message. Some sites with Halifax County listings are:

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/cemetery/northcarolina/halifa...

http://www.interment.net/us/nc/halifax.htm

http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/localList.php?local=19340&...
(this last is a listing of Halifax Co., Cemeteries,not necessarily linked to lists of names)

Deloris

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 8:34PM GMT
Yes, we believe that may be her. My grandma has been to grave before, all she remembers is that is located near Enfield post office. Her grave is not marked, that's why it is so important for us to find it. We would like to mark it. There is another grave she visited then to located close to the other. It is a family cemetery possibly named Johnson.. Edna Johnson Newsom, Betty Cooper and other familt members are located there. I would like to find this cemetery also. I believe there are tombstones there with names and dates that might help with research. So far I have had no success finding info from the county or any of the libraries.

Posted: 27 Dec 2008 6:40PM GMT
Another thing you may want to try is to check with some of the Funeral homes located in or around Enfield or Weldon, they should have a listing of some of the cemeteries in their areas for where people were buried. Also the Undertaker listed on the Death Certificate looks like H. G. ROWE, in Weldon, NC, it's possible it still exists or someone may have inherited the business, and if they are still around in some form, many times they may have kept their old records. Quite a few of the old funeral homes in the area have continued on and expanded, sometimes under new names, but it could be well-worth it to check that out. And even if that doesn't pan out, speaking with some of the funeral homes that have been around for a while might prove fruitful in giving you an idea of where people from that time period may have been buried, and they may even recognize he cemetery you are looking for. You may be able to locate some of the names by a Google search for funeral homes in the Enfield area, or a Yellow Pages search, which also can be done online.

Deloris

Posted: 18 Jan 2009 4:23AM GMT
The epodunk link is a more complete list of cemeteries in Halifax Co. I believe Crestview Memorial Cemetery is the name of the one nearest to Halifax Memorial Hospital. This is/was the largest hospital in the area, short of transporting someone to Nash General in Rocky Mount, NC.

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 1:44AM GMT
The placefor TB patients was on highway 903 between Highway 95 and Halifax. You maybe able to find your record in the

The TB hospital was located on Highway 903 out from Halifax NC. You may be able to find the records you need at the Halifax County Library , Halifax, NC 27839 They have many of the Cemetary Records there and you may also get someone in the Genealogy
Society to check for you

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 1:45AM GMT

The TB hospital was located on Highway 903 out from Halifax NC. You may be able to find the records you need at the Halifax County Library , Halifax, NC 27839 They have many of the Cemetary Records there and you may also get someone in the Genealogy
Society to check for you

per page

Find a board about a specific topic