Search for content in message boards

crew member

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
i have a bible with a name of walter wellerd ss alaunia port said xmas eve 1914,trying to get some information as to who walter was

Re: crew member

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 12:02PM GMT
Edited: 20 Dec 2012 12:02PM GMT
That ship didn't sail as late as Xmas Eve in 1914 - you may have to have a rethink on that one!

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListBrowseVoyages.actio...

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 12:18PM GMT
thanks for your reply,i am trying to find if the man worked on the ship or was a soldier on his way to Galipoli??which it appears is where the ship was heading to Ron

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 12:36PM GMT
Classification: Military
Edited: 20 Dec 2012 12:37PM GMT
Surnames: Wellerd
This won't answer your question about why Walter Wellerd was on the ship, but it does confirm your thoughts about where it was heading (from Martin's Marine Engineering Page - www.dieselduck.net):

Alaunia I (1913-16)

Statistics

Gross Tonnage - 13,405 tons
Dimensions - 158.58 x 19.50m (520.3 x 64ft)
Number of funnels - 2
Number of masts - 2
Construction - Steel
Propulsion - Twin-screw
Engines - Quadruple-expansion, eight
Service speed - 15 knots
Builder - Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Greenock
Launch date - 9 June 1913
Passenger accommodation - 520 2nd class, 1,540 3rd class

Details of Career

After Cunard had inaugurated the Canadian service in 1911 the company decided that it needed its own
purpose-built ships for the route. Subsequently three vessels were ordered from Scotts Shipbuilding &
Engineering Company, these became the Andania, Alaunia and Aurania. The Alaunia was the second of the
three ships to be launched, on 9 June 1913. The three ships were almost identical, catering solely for second
and third class passengers. The old-style third class dormitories were replaced by four and six-berth cabins.

The Alaunia made its maiden voyage on 27 December 1913 from Liverpool to Boston, via Queenstown and
Portland. In August 1914 it was requisitioned as a troopship. It was first employed in the transport of
Canadian troops. By the summer of 1915 it was involved in the Gallipoli campaign. Later the same year it
carried troops to Bombay. During 1916 the Alaunia returned to the North Atlantic and carried troops from
Canada and America.

The Alaunia made its final voyage from London on 19 September 1916 from London to New York. The return
journey from New York was to be its last. On 19 October it struck a mine two miles off the Royal Sovereign
Lightship, Sussex. Despite attempts to beach the ship and tow it to shore with tugs the captain finally
ordered the ship to be abandoned. All passengers and 163 of its crew reached safety and the ship sank
soon afterwards. Two of the crew, a steward and a trimmer, died.

Christine

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 1:13PM GMT
thank you for the information,i am having a bit of fun searching for Walter Wellard,i have had a few that could be near one from Ireland,i am enjoying this search i have a few going on especially from world war 1 Ron
per page

Find a board about a specific topic