Search for content in message boards

Will of James PORTER (d ca May 1824 - Washington, PA)

William A. Roper, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2002 6:25PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Porter, Bower, Scott
I have transcribed below the full text of the Will of James PORTER (d ca May 1824 - Washington, PA), which appears in Washington County Will Book No. 4 at Pages 72,73:

"Will of James PORTER, Deceased.

I James PORTER of East Bethlehem Township, in the County of Washington and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania do make and constitute this to be my last Will and Testament, concerning my estate, (revoking all other wills) in the words following:- That is to say, I will that my funeral expences and all other of my just debts, be paid as conveniently may be. It is my will that within a reasonable time after my decease, and appraisement of my personal property may be made, and so much thereof be exposed, to public sale as is not hereinafter excepted, and the proceeds thereof, together with the debts due me be applied to the payment of my debts, it is also my will, that my widow Anne PORTER, should remain in full possession of all my real estate, on the proceeds whereof to support herself, raise and educate my children George-John and Nancy. I also will that all wearing apparel, all household furniture all beds and beding one horse creature and two head of cattle, the choice of my widow be reserved for the use of the family, and not to be exposed to sale if the payment of my debts will not require it.

It is also my will that the benefits above bequeathed to my widow, should remain in her full possession, untill my sons be of the age of twenty-one years, and my daughter eighteen years if so long she remains my widow, and in that case she shall have a house and support out of the proceeds of my said estate during her natural life, but in case she should marry again she shall thereby forfeit the above mentioned benefits and shall be liable to be entirely dispossessed of all the real estate, by my children or their guardians, which may be appointed in that case nevertheless, should she by so marrying come to want, the children or their guardians shall, from the proceeds of the said estate, provide for her own personal support. It is also my will, that as soon as may be after the decease, of my wife or widow, my estate in lands and appurtenances be judiciously sold, and the proceeds thence arising together with all other of my effects then existing be equally divided amongst my several children, if the same cannot be advantageously divided. Lastly, I nominate and appoint Thomas BURSON Esq., of Greene County and Alexander STEWART of Millsborough in Washington County, sole executors of this my last Will and testament. Clothing them with the full power to execute the same in all things necessary to carry the same into effect. In Testimony whereof I James PORTER the Testator, have hereunto set my hand and seal, this ninth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty four.

James PORTER (seal)

Signed, sealed, published and declared, by the above named James PORTER as his last Will and testament in the presence of us, who at his request, and in his presence, have subscribed our names as witnesses thereunto this 9th day of May 1824.

John BOWER, Willm. SCOTT.

Washington County ss: Be it remembered, that on the 28th day of June, Anno Domini 1824, before me Robert COLMERY, Register for the probate of Wills and granting letters of administration in and for said county, came James BOWER Esq., and William SCOTT, the subscribing witnesses to the within last Will and testament of James PORTER decd. who being duly sworn as the law directs, do depose and say, that they were personally present, and did see the testator therein named sign this Will and did hear him publish pronounce and declare the same, as and for his last Will and Testament. That at the time of his so doing he was to the best of their apprehensions of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding; and that they respectively subscribed their names as witnesses to this will in the presence, and at the request of the testator, and in the presence of each other.

John BOWER, Willm. SCOTT.

And sworn to and subscribed before me

R. COLEMARY, Regr.

July 28th 1824, Letters of Administration Testaments annexed issued to John BOWER Esq., who after giving bond with sureties was duly sworn.

R. COLEMARY, Regr.

Registered and compared with the original July 28th, 1824.

R. COLEMARY, Regr."

NOTE: I attempted to faithfully transcribe the recorded will and associated entries EXACTLY as they appeared including spelling errors and punctuation (or sometimes lack thereof) EXCEPT for CAPITALIZING surnames and adding a few carriage returns for readability.

Though the Will identifies this James PORTER as being of East Bethlehem Township, Washington County, this Will almost surely is the instrument of the James PORTER enumerated in Cross Creek Township, Washington County, PA, in 1820:

James PORTER: 0 - 2 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 -- 1 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 -- 1 - 3 - 0 - 0
Wm. SCOTT: 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 -- 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 -- 0 - 1 - 0 - 0

[Page 225a, Microfilm Frame 0213, Roll M33 113, Image 7 of 39 for HANOVER Township, Washington County, PA in the Ancestry.com presentation of the Census data.]

Note that this James PORTER (b ca 1776-1794) has as his neighbor the William SCOTT who witnessed his Will. And this James PORTER also shows a wife, two boys age 10 to 17 (b ca 1803-1810) and one daughter under age 10 (b ca 1811-1820). These presumably are sons George and John and his daughter Nancy.

It would appear then that we can more precisely identify this family as:

James PORTER (b ca 1776-1794, d bef June 28, 1824)
m Anne ---- (b ca 1776-1794)

i. George PORTER (b ca 1803-1810)
ii. John PORTER (b ca 1803-1810)
iii. Nancy PORTER ((b ca 1811-1820)

I AM TRYING TO SORT OUT VARIOUS EARLY PORTERS IN WASHINGTON COUNTY, PA, AND JEFFERSON COUNTY, OH. IF ANYONE CAN FURTHER IDENTIFY THIS PARTICULAR JAMES AND ANNE PORTER AND THERE CHILDREN, PLEASE POST THE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AS A REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!

Re: Will of James PORTER (d ca May 1824 - Washington, PA)

Rob Porter (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2002 2:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
My ancestor James Porter, born in 1777 in Donegal Co Ireland, immigrated to USA in 1817. He came with his wife Eleanor (Ellen) Scott Porter. They settled in Washington County PA. Then moved to Brooks County PA, then Harrison County, OH where James died in 1845. Eleanor moved to IA in 1863 with her married children one of which was my great great grandfather, John Cassiday Porter.

Eleanor Scott Porter's parents were James and Susie Scott. Her brothers were Frank, John, and James Scott. I am replying because my ancestor shows four connections to your information:

...Name (James Porter)
...Timeframe (1817-1824)
...Place (Washington County PA)
...Association (Scott surname)

My info source is family. It may not all be accurate.

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: WILEY, PORTER, HASTINGS, COLLINS, WALSTON, et al.
From Co. Donegal, Ireland?

Arlene Gemmill (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2002 5:41PM GMT
Surnames: PORTER GARDNER LYSLES
I have a JAMES PORTER who supposedly died in Washington Co., PA Feb. 1825 and buried In Mingo Cemetery.
He was brother of NATHANIEL PORTER who died Sept. 1818, whose will you also posted.
Supposedly they were both sons of JAMES PORTER (1695-1775) and ELIZABETH LYSLES of Chester Co., PA.
Sorry, but I do not have any wife or kids for JAMES d. 1824/5 tho.
Happy to share my notes on this line if you think might help you.
After much work on that line I still haven't figured out how they relate to my PORTER line!

Posted: 3 Oct 2002 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: PORTER GARDNER LYSLES
I have a JAMES PORTER who supposedly died in Washington Co., PA Feb. 1825 and buried In Mingo Cemetery.
He was brother of NATHANIEL PORTER who died Sept. 1818, whose will you also posted.
Supposedly they were both sons of JAMES PORTER (1695-1775) and ELIZABETH LYSLES of Chester Co., PA.
Sorry, but I do not have any wife or kids for JAMES d. 1824/5 tho.
Happy to share my notes on this line if you think might help you.
After much work on that line I still haven't figured out how they relate to my PORTER line!

James PORTER (b ca 1776-1794, d bef June 28, 1824 - Washington, PA)

Posted: 3 Oct 2002 8:12PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Lysle
I am somewhat skeptical that the James PORTER (d bef June 28, 1824 - Washington, PA) is the son of James PORTER and Elizabeth LYSLES and the brother of Nathaniel PORTER (b 1737, d 21 Sep 1818 - Washington, PA).

James PORTER, of West Nantmeal Township, Chester County, PA, executed a Will on 23 Aug 1774, which Will was proved 2 Mar 1775, naming his various children and no living James PORTER was amongst these. This Will was recorded in Chester County Will Book "F" at Page 77. I have a copy, but had NOT yet transcribed and posted the full text. But I can quickly abstract for you here that James PORTER's will identifies wife, Elizabeth, sons William and Nathaniel, and daughters Rebecca, Isabald, Elizabeth, Elinor, and Violat. No other children or grandchildren are mentioned.

My GUESS is that the James PORTER (d ca May 1824 - Washington, PA) named in the Will I posted whom you identify as being buried in Mingo Cemetery was probably the son of William PORTER (b 1729 - Chester, PA, d 1 May 1803 - Adams, PA) and Sarah PIERCE and the GRANDSON of James PORTER of James PORTER of Chester County.

That William PORTER (b 1729 - Chester, PA, d 1 May 1803 - Adams, PA) also had a son named Nathaniel PORTER (b 19 Feb 1760, d 13 Nov 1813 - Washington, PA) who resided in Washingotn County and predeceased his uncle Nathaniel PORTER by five years. And William PORTER also is known to have had a son named James PORTER, of whom I know little.

I believe that William PORTER (b 1729 - Chester, PA, d 1 May 1803 - Adams, PA) was the ELDEST of James PORTER's children and he WAS mentioned in his father's Will.

I must also point out that the Will of the James PORTER whch I posted also is DATED 9 May 1824 and was PROVED 28 Jun 1824. It would therefore appear that this Will (a) was written in CONTEMPLATION of death and (b) James PORTER must have died between 9 May 1824 and 28 Jun 1824, probably closer to the former than the latter. THis would NOT appear to be consistent with the February 1825 date you assert.

What is the basis for the date you give? Is this actually inscribed on the bural marker for the James PORTER buried at Mingo Cemetery? If so, it would appear that there were two James PORTERs who died in Washington County, PA, very near the same time.

Nathaniel PORTER (b 1737, d 21 Sep 1818 - Washington, PA) also had a son named James PORTER, but this James PORTER clearly died BEFORE 8 Apr 1818 when Nathaiel made his Will, as there is a reference to "my son Jameses heirs".

I do NOT have the full text of the Will of Nathaniel PORTER (b 19 Feb 1760, d 13 Nov 1813 - Washington, PA). Someone else had the microfilm reel out when I last visited the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

It seems likely that there was also a family connection between Nathaniel PORTER and Matthew PORTER, who was named one of the executors of Nathaniel PORTER's Will. But I have NOT yet ascertained what that family connection might have been. Perhaps Matthew was Nathaniel PORTER's first cousin, or was a nephew -- possibly a son of a son of James PORTER, of Chester County, who predeceased James PORTER and was therefore NOT identified in James PORTER's Will.

James PORTER (d ca May 1824 - Washington, PA)

Posted: 3 Oct 2002 8:57PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Unfortunately, I have NO other specific information about this particular James PORTER. I pulled a copy of his Will during my research concerning James PORTER (d bef 2 Mar 1775), of West Nantmeal Township, Chester County, PA, and Nathaniel PORTER (b 1737, d 21 Sep 1818 - Washington, PA).

As explained in my reply to Arlene Gemmell's Post ["James PORTER (b ca 1776-1794, d bef June 28, 1824 - Washington, PA)"], this MIGHT have been a son of William PORTER and grandson of James PORTER, of Chester County, PA.

But it is also unclear to me whether this James PORTER with a brother named Nathaniel PORTER is the James PORTER whose Will I posted or another James PORTER who died in February 1825.

Re: James PORTERs of Washington, PA

Posted: 5 Oct 2002 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: PORTER PIERSOL LYSLES EMMITT
Yes, I share your scepticism about JAMES PORTER who d. May 1824 in Washington Co., PA. being a s/o JAMES PORTER d. 1775 in Chester Co. PA

As you say, JAMES does not name such a son in his 1775 will.

My source for raising the possibility was twofold:

1) a posting to PAWASHIN-L@@rootsweb.com on Sat, 17 Apr 1999 from a volunteer at the Historical Society (hopefully accessible through the archives):

“Subject: [PAWASHIN-L] Porter, Wilson, Irwin, Kerr, Gardner, Hunter
Dear Interested Parties, . . . I have this data but no verification of it's authenticity. Please use with discretion. Enjoy!
. . . . .Issue of James Porter, Sr. & Elizabeth Hunter Porter are:
1. William born in the North of Ireland; m. Rebecca HUNTER
2. James Jr. born ca 1731 in the North of Ireland, died 25 Feb. 1825 in Washington Co., PA – Buried in Mingo Cemetery, Nottingham Twp., Washington Co., PA . . . .”

and

2) descendants of the JAMES PORTER d. 1775 line say they found records of a son JAMES b. ca. 1726 in Scotland to a JAMES PORTER and ELIZABETH LYSLES; not known yet if this is indeed the same JAMES d. 1775 in Chester Co., PA tho.
“From: XXX
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001
To: xxx

Subject: James Porter, Lanark, Scotland
James Porter christened 7 April 1726; father James Porter; mother Elizabeth Leyl; Barony, Lanark
James Porter married 24 June 1720 to Elizabeth Leil; Barony, Lanark
James Porter Christened 18 September 1693; father John Porter, Barony, Lanark
John Porter christened 29 August 1686; father James Porter; mother Jo_ Corr; Barony, Lanark
John Portour married 21 May 1699 to Margaret Muir; Lanark, Lanark
John Porter married 17 November 1692 to Bessie Willsone
James Porter married 7 December 1692 to Jean Brash; Barony, Lanark
James Porter christened 27 October 1651; High Church Glasgow, Lanark
Johne Porter christened 1 May 1648; High Church, Glasgow, Lanark
William Porter born 1746 Lancaster, Penn.; father James
James Porter born 1695; christened 26 November 1695; Jackston, Monquhitter, Aberdeen
Johne Porter christened 1 May 1648-- father Johne Porter; mother Agnes Kincaid.
James Porter christened 27 October 1651--father Johne Porter; mother Margaret Broune.
All records were from "Scottish Church Records, 1995 Edition, Version 2.01", except last two on my list.
Subject: The Porters of Pennsylvania
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999
. . .Today Ron Porter sent information he had obtained from "Scottish Church Records." Caution---this has not been verified from a second source.
But guess who he found? James Porter and Elizabeth Leil Porter were married on 24 June 1720, in Barony, Lanark, Scotland. James Porter, a son of James and Elizabeth Leyl, was christened on 7 April 1726, in Barony, Lanark, Scotland. We have no record of this child--could have died as a youngster. The first child we have a record of was William born 1729 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. We need to check the ships between 1726 & 1729 to see if we can find them coming to the colonies.
James Porter, maybe the one married on 24 June 1720, was christened on 18 September 1693, in Barony, Lanark, Scotland. His father was John Porter. John was married on 17 November 1692 to Bessie Willsone, at Barony, Lanark, Scotland. On 7 December 1692, James Porter, probably a brother or cousin, was married to Jean Brash, at Barony, Lanark, Scotland.
The Lyle and Porter families were from that part of Scotland for many years. In the middle of the 16th century the Lyle family ended in the direct line in an heiress, and the lands of Duchal passed from the Lyles to Porter of Porterfield”
I have omitted the names and email addresses of the senders of the 3 messages above to protect their privacy but would be happy to send to you privately if you contact me at agemmill@earthlink.net

If the JAMES PORTER who d.1825 in Washington Co.were indeed the one born 1726 in Scotland he would have been 98 yo at death - a great deal older than your JAMES PORTER who d. ca May 1824.

Also the genealogy passed along from PAWASHIN-L@@rootsweb.com on Sat, 17 Apr 1999 is riddled with errors. For instance JAMES PORTER m. ELIZABETH LYSLES (not Hunter) and their son WILLIAM PORTER m. SARAH PIERSOL (not Rebecca Hunter).

The DAR records saying he married a Pierce are also wrong. His wife was d/o JOHN PIERSOL and ALICE BISHOP:

“PEIRSOLL, ALICE.
W. Nantmeal.Chester Co.
November 29, 1785. February 24, 1790.
To my 3 daughters and their husbands, William Porter and Sarah his wife, . . . Executors to put tombstones over graves of my husband John Peirsol and myself.”

As to your “guess” that the JAMES PORTER who d. 1824 in Washington Co., was s/o NATHANIEL PORTER (1729-1803) and SARAH PIERSOL, a Porter database accessed at
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/8413/

says that JAMES MADISON PORTER s/o WILLIAM PORTER (1729-1803) and SARAH PIERSOL died in Woodford Co., Kentucky in 1832.

My notes also say that NATHANIEL PORTER s/o WILLIAM PORTER (1729-1803) and SARAH PIERSOL died in Sinking Creek, Bedford Co., Tennessee:

"PORTER SETTLEMENTS XII, #4 (Winter 1992)
p. 3 Queries
NATHANIEL PORTER b. 19 Feb. 1760; m. NANCY EMMITT. Settled on "Sinking Creek" in Bedford Co. TN in 1812; he died 1813 and both buried in Sinking Creek farm land. son JOHN NATHANIEL PORTER b. 20 Feb. 1795; m. CATHERINE RUCKER”.

I wonder, does the Mingo Cemetery and/or its records still exist?. A transcription of its headstones would certainly help answer a lot of questions

Re: James PORTERs of Washington, PA

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Has been a long time since this post. Alot of good information here of Porters in Washington County. Have been searching for a long time for James Porter (1824-1899) m. Jane Allman/Allmon. His father's name was James from death certificate. Any way this would fit in to the puzzle? Thanks all!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic