Search for content in message boards

J.D. Howard (Jesse James)

J.D. Howard (Jesse James)

Posted: 23 Oct 2006 9:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Garrett, Howard, James
Has anyone heard stories of Jesse or Frank James playing the fiddle for barn dances in the Humphreys County area? He rented the W.H. Link farm in Humphreys County in 1877 under the name J.D. Howard. This request regards an old family story. I need corroboration that one of them played the fiddle. Any stories about his activities in the area would be greatly appreciated. This may have been in old newspaper clippings. My relatives were Garrett’s and lived on their farm between Bruceton and Buena Vista. My Great Grandfather, Jeremiah Garrett, also owned the Mill at Garrettsburg.I am also looking for pictures of Garrettsburg.Thank you very much. Don Ayer

Re: J.D. Howard (Jesse James)

Kristi Moffitt (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2006 3:37PM GMT
In the book, Obituaries from Tennessee Newspapers by Jill Garrett, there is a lengthy article about a man who was lynched and in it there is mention of Jesse and Frank James and Jesse is also referred to as J.D. Howard.

Here is the part that mentions Jesse and Frank:
"I also knew Jesse and Frank James very well having had business with both of them, particularly with Jesse when I knew him as J. D. Howard... who was in jail here for assaulting one Steven Jackson, a noted guerrilla. Jesse, then lived in Humphreys County on Big Bottom of Duck River and was a farmer at home. Frank was a teamster, hauling logs...

If you want me to scan and email the pages of this story to you, I can. There is no mention, that I see of fiddle playing.

Kristi Moffitt
kkcem@blomand.net

Posted: 7 Nov 2006 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: Howard, Garrett
Hi Kristi, Thank you very much for the reply. I would appreciate a copy of the article. I have received some leads but nothing firm. I feel I will find my answers in articles like the one you have. Sincere Regards, Don Ayer

Posted: 7 Nov 2008 7:37PM GMT
http://media.iadsnetwork.com/quickpagepdf/pdfs/38000/38027.p...

The is a page from The News-Democrat weekly newspaper for Humphreys Co, dtd Nov. 7, 2008. The article is on the Humphreys County Museum and briefly mentions Jesse James and his twin sons who were born in Humphreys County.

JoAnne Cmamacat5@aol.com

Posted: 7 Nov 2008 10:55PM GMT
As I see that my cut and paste did not work, beside several pictures they showed in the article, the blub on Jesse James stated " Jesse James lived in Humphreys County for a short time. His twin sons, who lived only a few days, were born and buried in Humphreys County. The remains were later exhumed and reinterred in Missouri."

I imagine the museum has more on Jesse James while he lived in Humphreys County, but as the aritcle was on the museum and a Civil War Fort nearby, that was the only paragraph on Jesse James.

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 3:09PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Waynick, Binkley, James, Adams
My great grandfather, David Sylvester Adams (1871-1934) wrote the following about his uncle David Thomas (D. T., "Tom") Waynick, a minister, (b.c. 1847, son of David Pryor Waynick and Malnda Dickson), and Jesse James - nothing about fiddling, though:

"As a young preacher he [Tom Waynick] and a dear friend, Rev. Wilson Binkley once held a protracted meeting at Bowen’s Chapel in Big Bottom, near Duck River. Just at the beginning of the service one night, Bro. Binkley announced to the audience that Bro. Waynick had been called to go about 30 miles up the Tennessee River to conduct a funeral the next day. He must go that night and had brought no horse with him, being a long way from home, and would some brother volunteer to furnish a horse and a guide, as Bro. Waynick had never been this road and would almost surely get lost in the dark. Just as he ceased speaking a tall distinguished looking man, who had been a regular attendant at the meetings, arose and said: Bro. Binkley, I shall be glad to go. I have two very good horses and I know the way.” “Very well, Bro. Howard. I thank you,” Rev. Binkley replied – “And I’m sure Bro. Waynick will be very grateful for your kindness.” So they departed in the night, mounted on two fine horses belonging to “Bro. Howard.” Made the trip without incident and returned to the church next day just as Bro. Binkley had started the night service. “Bro. Howard” was none other than Jesse James himself, who happened to be living not far from the church at what is now known as the Henry Link farm. Uncle Tom said Jesse rarely missed a service at the church and always gave close attention to the sermon. Jesse James was the son of a Baptist minister & was baptized in his father’s church. A bad man? Not half so bad as he has been painted. He had as many loyal friends as any man."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions