Search for content in message boards

Tree Syncing Creates Many Duplicates!

Tree Syncing Creates Many Duplicates!

Posted: 24 May 2013 3:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 May 2013 3:12AM GMT
I was so happy when Ancestry.com came out with capability
to synchronize my member tree with my FTM 2 for Mac tree. I prefer to search for records in the member tree on Ancestry. It's just faster & easier to use, & who can
resist those blinking leaves? But then I needed a way to incorporate all that data from my Ancestry tree to my computer tree. I thought the new "tree syncing" feature was the answer to my dreams.

However, it's causing me many times more work than to manually enter all that data. What's happening is that after a tree synch, I start noticing multiple (I mean 12 or more) census, marriage, birth, death records, etc. There will also be multiple entries for each member of a family. So then I have to go back and remove duplicates, risking removing the listing which would have all the inter- relationships. It's hard to explain, but it's like a virus broke out, creating all these multiples.

Ancestry's tech supp. said it IS an issue they're having, but didn't say when or if it could be fixed. He just walked me thru a way to remove relationships, but that will take forever for all the persons in my tree. Surely there's a way for them to upgrade this software for us. I'm going to start bugging them again.

Is anyone else having this problem? Also, the new "merge" feature in the member trees creates duplicate people, even though I'm wizened & careful as can be about my merges.

Debora

Re: Tree Syncing Creates Many Duplicates!

Posted: 25 May 2013 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Saunders
I reported this issue in January of 2012 and they told me I was the only one and I must have merged them multiple times. Some of the records were attached to people I hadn't been working on and were completely unrelated. I have had 30 different relatives attached to one record, none of whom have anything to do with that record.
Glad they're finally working on it. If you find a solution (other than going through and deleting them all one by one), please post it here.

Posted: 25 May 2013 4:55PM GMT
There are definitely glitches, but it's been 1 1/2 yrs I think since this FTM for Mac was released + the ability to sync your online trees with your FTM trees. I will definitely report it again & see if they are working on it. They didn't really indicate they were before.

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 6:03PM GMT
Yes, I had the problem back in Feb and talked to 4 different tech people on the phone plus ancestry tree staffers at the RootsTech conf -- they all seemed to indicate that IT WAS MY FAULT ... as in, restarted the sync over & over (which I did not). It took me forever to try to eliminate the dupes and merge the individuals. I was so fed up I just stopped using the FTM. I've been trying to get up the courage to try it again as I've added lots more info to my online tree.

Does anyone know if this is just a MAC problem? For a techie company they don't support MAC well. AT the RootsTech conference they did not have a single MAC computer, no iphone, no ipad on the demo floor.... really ?!

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 8:42PM GMT
So you think it's just a problem with us Mac users? Hmm, one tech guy admitted they are having issues with duplications. I need to call them again.

Posted: 26 Jul 2013 1:47PM GMT
I just realized I have many many duplications in my file - both the online tree and the Family Tree Maker version on my Mac. Argh!!
It should be possible to create a utility that looks for duplication and gives you the opportunity to keep or delete it - while retaining the links to the people you want to have the 'kept' version.
In the meantime, I'm going to stop trying to remove duplicates from the online tree AND my FTM tree. PLUS I'm going to reduce how often I sync, since that has to have something to do with it.

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 3:28AM GMT
You too, Marion? Is it just Mac users having this problem? I had to "unsynch" my tree. I've been afraid to use it again, because I have so many duplicate people & records! In some of my profiles, I've had 20 census records! I've been spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME deleting all these duplicates--they clutter up the page. It's a huge hassle!

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 12:40PM GMT
I have found - although I only tried it for one person - that it is easier, or at least fewer 'clicks', to delete the duplicates using FTM on my Mac, than to do it on Ancestry.

If you go to view your Media you can see a list of icons that gives you an indication of what's duplicated, and shows to whom the various files are attached. I used that dialog box to attach the record to all the people I wanted, then deleted the duplicate records.

I DON'T know whether the next sync will then delete the duplicates on Ancestry. I haven't tried that yet.

Still, I have a big tree and it's way too time-consuming and I am hoping for a global fix, if it ever comes.

Marion

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 7:11AM GMT
Same problems I have now accrued at least 80 duplicate census documents and have not as yet even looked at my other documents that lovely leave seems to work like fall its hell trying to clear up the mess

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 4:20PM GMT
Are you working on a Mac?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic