Search for content in message boards

Thomastown, Tipperary

Thomastown, Tipperary

Posted: 17 Nov 2002 5:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Farrell, Lyons
I am very new to Irish genealogy and confused by the civil & church parish system. I am searching for Thomastown, Co. Tipperary. I think it is is the Diocese of Cashel & Emly, but not sure.

I have found many references to a Thomastown in Kilkenny, but notes from an ancestor clearly stated Thomastown, Co. Tipperary. I think it may be a town between Tipperary & Cashel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LaSondra

Re: Thomastown, Tipperary

LizD (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2002 11:31PM GMT
There is an interactive map of Ireland at http://interactive2.iol.ie/MAPS/content/iolmap.asp
When you enter "Thomastown" in the Town or Region field and select County Tipperary, it will bring up 10 possible locations. All but one are in the area between Tipperary Town and Cashel.

BTW I have just started a search for John Farrell and family who emigrated from Thurles, Tipperary, to Chicago area about 1873. Any connection to your O'Farrell???

LizD

Posted: 20 Nov 2002 3:45PM GMT
LizD,
Thanks for the great map! I couldn't seem to find Thomastown on any other maps.

My ancestor was Thomas Farrell who married a Honora Lyons in Thomastown abt. 1810. They immigrated to the Quebec, Canada area abt. 1824.

Two of Thomas's grandsons (William & Timothy) ended up in Cheyenne, Wyoming with the railroad.

One of Thomas's great-great grandsons (my grandfather) added the O' back on in the 1930's.

Doesn't sound like a match to your John Farrell, but will keep my eyes open for any links.

Thanks again,
LaSondra

Posted: 25 Jan 2003 8:40PM GMT
i think you will find it is a small township very near Golden Co Tipperary, i visited there some years ago while looking up my irish roots and i actually stopped at a cottage in thomastown .Hope this helps

Posted: 1 Feb 2003 1:43AM GMT
Thanks for your help. I have e-mailed with the Tipperary Family History Research and they state all records for Thomastown prior to 1833 were destroyed. Are you aware of any other sources?

Thanks again!

Posted: 13 Feb 2004 9:55PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2004 1:44AM GMT
Surnames: Guidera, Fennessy
Cannot open those interactive maps as yet and researching the family of John Guidera/y and Mary Fennessy who lived in the Thomastown area of Tipperary.(children baptised c1810 -1833 in ARdfinnan Church) - Is it possible for you to send same direct to my email address? Many thanks.

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 8:14PM GMT
Catherine,
I noticed also that the map links are not working. Unfortunately, I did not save the maps. Thomastown is really just a crossroads on the way from Tipperary to Cashel (headed east). I don't remember any streets in Thomastown, more just a stop in the road. You can try www.mapquest.com

You mention Ardfinnan Church. I am trying to find baptism records for Thomastown for 1815. I have tried the Tipperary Family History Research (TFHR), but they state baptisms for that period were destroyed in the civil war. The Cashel and Emly records are only available at the TFHR from what I understand. If you have an alternate source, I am very interested.

Thanks in advance!

LaSondra

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 1:28PM GMT
LaSondra, thanks for info re 'maps'. I have seen closeup of an ancient map of Thomastown but would like the larger picture to see where it fits with surrounding towns, roads etc. thought it might help me- now it sounds like there are 3/4 Thomastowns?
Our family has baptisms recorded in the Ardfinnan Catholic Church Parish records from 1817 - 1833, although one born supposedly 25/3/1821 is not on the list. The descendants of this person had a researcher who found the other sibblings, and said the early records were extremely poor having errors, pages stuck together and many early pages were faded. She made the point that she felt a modern scanner may be able to 'read' more of the records, however. They saw the actual registers.
We are working on proving that this family lived at Thomastown (there were others with same name closeby). Regards.

Posted: 30 May 2004 5:18PM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2004 3:36PM GMT
The church records for Ardfinnan RC Parish are held by Waterford Heritage Center. Waterford has done a good
job in copying the records. However, the older records
are very hard to read. Several years ago I spent several hours going over the acutal church records, although I already had
the records for my family (Hally) from Waterford. The oldest
book 1810-1826 was wrapped up in paper and had not been
opened for a while. In years past someone had laminated all the pages, which I am not sure was a good or bad thing to do.
Up until about 1820 the records are hit and miss. Sometimes you can read it but often you can read only a part such as last name of one parent or sponsor.. Having a record not found does not mean there is not a record. In every case I where I expect a record in a certain year I found one where only the last name could be read.
It was my impression that there must be some sort of process that could read these old records, as they were very faded but not smudged/damaged etc.

Posted: 31 May 2004 11:02AM GMT
Thanks Dan, It must be great to have actually seen your records. A professional researcher suggested our modern scanners could be successfull at 'reading' these faded ones? We now know that our Thomastown is just north of Grange and South/W? of Morkhamstown.Shows on second edition of Ordnance map, love to get one of the six inch maps tho. Regards,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic