Search for content in message boards

Berthold Schmidt

Berthold Schmidt

Meg Byrne (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2002 1:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information on Berthold Schmidt and his family in the Milwaukee area. Berthold was born in 1842 (place unknown), died in 1912 in Milwaukee. Wife's name unknown. Had at least six children: Jacob Bartholomew (my great-grandfather), Elizabeth (married Geiskopf), Herman, Edward, Josephine (married Grabler), and Rose (married Resch?). Maybe had more children (I have a family photo of a Julius also). Please contact me if you know anything of Berthold or his children. Thank you!

Re: Berthold Schmidt

Bobbi Huiting (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2004 4:18PM GMT
Surnames: Resch
Hi, I am curious if you have found any more information on your Rose who married a Resch. I am researching the name Resch from that area. Thanks, Bobbi

Re: Berthold Schmidt

Meg Byrne (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2004 3:45AM GMT
Rose I. Schmidt, born in June, 1880, married Frederick J. Resch, who was born in 1877, birthplace listed as Austria. They had 3 children as of the 1920 census, Frederick L., born in 1908, Hedwig, born in 1915, and Ruth, born in 1917. Their address in that census is 552 29th St. in Milwaukee. This is all the information I've ever found. Any relation? Thanks for your contact.

Re: Rose Schmidt Resch in Milwaukee's German Newspapers Index

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 10:04PM GMT
Surnames: Schmidt Resch Hett Hoff Stattler Fregin Gutermuth Krauser
In case it's helpful to your research, the family placed death notices for Rose Schmidt Resch in the local German language newspapers, possibly for Friedrich as well, depending on his death date. These are indexed in "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950). There are about 45 Resch entries or references in the current index. Some of the other surnames connected with Resch include Hett or Hoff Stattler Fregin Gutermuth Krauser. An earlier Milwaukee Resch family had some connection with Jaegersberg, St. Ulrich (also Austria?)

For more specific information contact:
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... helping to access our historic German-American culture.

Re: Berthold Schmidt in Milwaukee's German Newspapers Index

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 10:19PM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2013 10:26PM GMT
Surnames: Schmidt Geiskopf Grabler Resch
"Looking for information on Berthold Schmidt and his family in the Milwaukee area. Berthold was born in 1842 (place unknown), died in 1912 in Milwaukee. Wife's name unknown. Had at least six children: Jacob Bartholomew (my great-grandfather), Elizabeth (married Geiskopf), Herman, Edward, Josephine (married Grabler), and Rose (married Resch?). Maybe had more children (I have a family photo of a Julius also). Please contact me if you know anything of Berthold or his children."

Berthold Schmidt's family placed his death notices in the local German papers. There was also an obit for him (brief or detailed) in the Catholic weekly. These are indexed in "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950). Luckily, it's easy find a match for a "Berthold" who died in 1912 because there are over 3500 entries for Schmidt in the current data file. There was also an obit with photo for a Julius Schmidt published in these papers in 1929.

For more specific information contact:
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... helping to access our historic German-American culture.

Re: Rose Schmidt Resch in Milwaukee's German Newspapers Index

Posted: 15 Jan 2014 4:31PM GMT
Surnames: Schmidt Resch
Hi Gary,
Would you be able to provide me with the year in which the family published the obituary? I can find no trace of her after 1920. If you obit was published in the 1920's, that's probably her. How do I go about obtaining that obituary?
Is your index searchable in person at any libraries?
Thank you,
Meg
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions