Search for content in message boards

McNaughton Fort William Inverness

McNaughton Fort William Inverness

Shirley Stevenson (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2001 11:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McNaughton,
Details of McNaughton family of Donald and Marjory .Lived there 1800's some family went to Canada, New Zealand and Australia 1850's

Re: McNaughton Fort William Inverness

Thomas McNaughton-Holme (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2001 8:45PM GMT
Surnames: McNaughton, Cameron
Hi, We might have a match. Sometimes Marjory's are called Marys in Scotland. My McNaughton ancestors lived in Inverness and came to Quebec in 1831. We have quite a bit of details about their relatives going back many generations. This information speaks of a Donald McNaughton who married Mary Cameron. Our family notes say they went to Australia. I seem to remember finding references to her as Marjory but I can't find them now. If this is a match I have information on Donald McNaughton's siblings, parents, grandparents, etc.

Posted: 25 Aug 2001 8:30AM GMT
Very possible!
My Donald McNaughton d. Fort William 1820's also his wife. We believe our line descends from that couple. We know that several of their family came to Australia and one went to Canada. Don't have much more on the above couple but heaps on several Aussie lines. Thankyou for your reply.
Shirley Stevenson

Thomas McNaughton-Holme (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2001 1:02PM GMT
Surnames: McNaughton, Cameron
I didn't quite understand your last posting. You say your Donald and Mary d. (D. meaning died?) in Fort William Inverness in the 1820's and their children went to Australia? It is my understanding that Donald and Mary (Marjorie)themselves went to Australia. So this could be different if so.

So, I take it you live in Australia. Hmmmm. McNaughton descendants in Australia. I have been searching precisely for McNaughton descendants in Australia. About given up. I would like to pursue this lead if you have the time and get as much information as possible. You see, before computers it was impossible nearly for Canadian McNaughtons to keep in touch with Australian relatives and as far as I know there isn't a single one known by us. And we have some rather extensive lines -- but as I say, no Australia family information.

This McNaughton line that came immigrated to Hemmingford Quebec is directly descended from the chiefs of clan McNaughton. We are able to trace this McNaughton line back to about 1190 AD, and previous to that there is a legendary genealogy which traces back to King Nechtan of the Picts and the Pict royal family of Uis Neachdan. And a MacLean line branches into this family in the mid 1500s which traces back person tp person through the McConnells to King Robert Bruce of Scotland and from there back to William the Conqueror and Charlemaine and further back even than that.

So, if your Donald McNaughton and Marjorie are the ones I think they might be they would have these lines of decent, of which I would be glad to fill in the details.

The problem is whether or not Donald and Marjorie died in Scotland. Our family historian of that time period, Ann Cameron, wrote that Donald and Marjorie went to Australia. Also Donald's sister Mary McNaughton went to Australia along with her husband Hugh Cameron. Hugh Cameon was the brother of Mary (Marjorie) Cameron, wife of Donald McNaughton. Donald and Mary McNaughton had another sibling, Duncan, who died in Scotland.

This was a very tight family. Probably because of who they were. Donald and Duncan and Mary McNaughton were the grandchildren of Malcolm McNaughton who was born in Dunderave Castle on Loch Fyne abt 1690. Malcolm McNaugthton was the grandson of of Captain Malcolm "Glenshira" McNauchtan who was the illustrious chief of Clan McNauchtans who died defending Skipness in Kintyre against Colkitto's Irish MacDonalds. The McNaughtons, and most of the other Highland clans, had a running battle going on with Clan Campbell which was intent upon devouring all their lands and castles, and was successful more often than not. Clan Campbell succeeded in taking away Dunderave castle and all the family lands from the McNaughtons by 1715 leaving the decendants of the chiefs struggling to survive. (This story is long and I am shortening it up as much as possible.) The Campbells were not satisfied with this, as there was great enmity between Campbells and McNaughtons, and any McNaughton male who might possibly hold any claim to the chieftanship, who might find some way of restoring the castle and lands to the McNaughtons, was probably to some extent in danger for his life. So it was that the remnants of the family drifted North from their ancient lands of Glenshira and took up residence on Cameron lands who had long been McNaughton allies and were better able to hold their own agains the Campbells. But only by leaving Scotland entirely, for either Canada or Australia, would they truly find peace.

It is POSSIBLE that Ann Cameron got the information wrong about Donald and Mary (Marjorie) going to Australia. Maybe it was their children who went. I say this because our line left Scotland in two waves. The first departed in 1821 and the second in 1831. Ann Cameron was with the 1831 group. If Donald and Mary (Marjorie) INTENDED to go to Australia and had not left yet by the time Ann Cameron left Scotland, and if Donald and Mary (Marjorie) then died in the 1830s in Scotland, Ann Cameron wouldn't have known they didn't make it, but their children did.

You mentioned that your ancestors had two lines which came to Australia and one which went to Canada. Our records do not show any other brothers or sisters of your Donald McNaughton who came to Canada. However that family was very close with my line, first cousins and close neighbors, and nine of the ten children in my line came to Hemmingford Quebec. It was a great flitting as they would say. I should also mention that the husband of our Ann Cameron was also named Donald McNauhton. He was also known as "the lame school teacher of Loch Lochy". By rights he would have been chief of Clan McNaughton if there had been anything left to be chief of.

It is senseless to unload any more information on you unless this portion has provided you with material which makes a positive connection. If there is, let's dig into it.

Posted: 26 Aug 2001 1:36PM GMT
According to old letters Alexander McNaughton, born 1805 went to Pt. A'Cavagoul on the Ottowa River had 4 sons,John, George, James, Donald and 3 daughters names unknown.
His parents definitely died in Scotland. A memorial window in the Duncansbrough Church Fort William proves this.
Shirley Stevenson

Thomas R McNaughton-Holme (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2001 2:30PM GMT
It sounds to me like probably two different families -- because we only have records of three siblings, Donald who married Mary Cameron, Duncan who died in Scotland, and Mary who married Hugh Cameron and went to Australia. No Alexander. But sometimes a child is missed someone remembering details from fifty years passed and writing them down for posterity in a country 3000 miles away. Maybe they did have a sibling named Alexander. No. If they did, he would have surely come to the area of Canada where his cousins were living, Hemmingford Quebec, instead of Ottowa, Ontario. And I am pretty sure our Donald and Mary didn't die in Scotland.

The two families are sure close to each other in their roots and in their timeframe and in their names though. It had me going for a while, thinking we had a match.

Thanks,

Thomas Holme

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 4:36AM GMT
I have McNaughtons and Camerons here in Australia, not the ones discussed here that I can determine.

Try this site for further info on both families, its very good and well researched.

http://www.clan-cameron.org.au/

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions