Search for content in message boards

Cox's Missouri

Cox's Missouri

meg peters (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2000 2:44PM GMT
Researching Cox's from Pike County, Hannibal Missouri, New London, St. Louis, etc..
My paternal grandfather was Alfred Athens Cox, born May 14, 1872 somewher in pike County. He had two sisters, Sallie Cox of New London, Missouri and Susie Cox Roland, Oklahoma. One brother Miller Cox of St. Louis. Alfred married Margaret Gibbons. Margaret was my paternal grandmother. There were two sons Alfed, (my father) and another son of Alfred's (by a previous marriage) Ely Cox of New London, Missouri.

If you have any info or knowledge of this line of Cox's - please e-mail me.
Thanks,
Meg

Cox's of Missouri

ken Oliver (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2001 10:58AM GMT
Meg,
I am discovering there are a lot of Cox’s that migrated to Mo. over a very long time. I wonder what the interest was in the early 1800’s.
I am looking for Cox's in Harrison Co. Mo. My grandparent’s family is from there. I have been able to get very little info. they came from Ohio. If you have any I would appreciate the help.

Ken Oliver

Cox's of Missouri

Meg Peters (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2001 7:00PM GMT
Ken,

There were a lot of lumber mills in and around the missouri area and this may have provided some of the attraction...as well as great midwestern farming soil particularly in areas near the mississippi and missouri rivers. My grandfather Alfred Athens originates from the Hannibal, New London, area. He was a teacher and then later in life a caretaker for the church. I know hardly anything about his family or siblings and unfortunately I am running into roadblocks unearthing info. Have you tried the Mo Gen Web Boards - somewhat helpful if you can identify a county or city for more search questions. There is a woman who has contacted me who gears her geneaology searches to northeastern missouri. If you e-mail me and think this may be of help - I'll provide her name.
Good Luck!

Re: Cox's Missouri

Posted: 13 Nov 2001 4:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Nov 2005 2:29AM GMT
Surnames: Gibbons, O'Malley, Walsh,
Alfred Athens Cox's Dad's name listed as 'John Cox' on Alfred Athens Cox's 1932 Missouri death certificate. Other sources had listed Millard Cox. Occupation listed as 'laborer'. Other sources listed him as a teacher. Second wife, Margaret, was a teacher before marriage. Marriage date and exact location unknown.

Posted: 22 Mar 2002 8:34PM GMT
Surnames: COX, FOISTER, FOSTER, FOYSTER
My grandfather, William Newton Cox, was born in Hannibal, Mo. in 1884. He was the only child born there. His parents were Charley A. and Sarah Lucinda Foyster/Foister Cox who married in 1883 Howell co. Mo. One daughter, Ava Jane, was born in 1895 Shannon co. We are trying to document Charley. Your data sounds familiar to me. Grandfather William named one of his sons Reuben Leeroy, Walter Thurman Riley Cox and another James Orlando Cox. Does any sound familiar to you? Thanks.

Posted: 23 Mar 2009 11:58AM GMT
Surnames: Cox Shackleford Silvy Silvey
The Cox family I am researching settled in Pike Co. MO in the early 1850's. William Cox and Mildred Shackleford were supposedly from Caswell Co., NC, had settled in Anderson Co., KY before moving to Pike. A few of their children came to Pike. Nancy married Bryant Silvy in Anderson Co., KY and either died in KY or Pike, Bryant followed the Cox family to Pike and remarried establishing his family in Pike.

Lewis (Louis) and Frances also followed William and are found in the county in 1860. I'm just starting on my research and would appreciate any help on this Cox family as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic