Search for content in message boards

DOLAN; FORD(E) OR GOODE

DOLAN; FORD(E) OR GOODE

Ed Dolan (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Need data on John DOLAN, b. 20 Jan. 1856, in Aughrim, Co. Galway; parents: Michael Dolan/Catherine Ford(e)-(her cemetery inscription had "Catherine Ford Dolan", but was this maiden name or middle name? John DOLAN had brothers Patrick and Thomas; sisters Ellen and Marie. Family went to Bishop Auckland, Co. Durham, England. John Dolan mar. there Margaret MULHOLLAND, dau. of John Mulholland/Julia MURRAY, on 22 May, 1880, at St Wilfred's Church. John and Margaret went to Sangamon Co., Ill. in mid-1880s. [There was a John Dolan b. in Aughrim on 19 Feb. 1855, to Michael Dolan/ Catherine GOODE. Since b. date is different, can it be same person?]. Thanks.

dolan/forde

Posted: 27 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2002 1:13PM GMT
Surnames: dolan, forde, goode, lyons, lynch, deane, loughnane, leonard, brannelly
looking for info re:catherine goode d.o.b unknown,died 31.10.1883 somewhere in u.s.a. This info may answer your query :church record no.647 patrick dolan 1.5.1847.baptised 7.5.1847,parents michael dolan and catherine goode,sponsors pat lyons and winnie forde.No.898 john dolan born 19.2.1855,baptised 19.2.1855,sponsors thomas lynch and ellen deane.No.1101 Thomas dolan and 1102 ellen dolan(twins)born 2.6.1860,baptised 12.6.1860.sponsors ?loughnane and ?goode.No.1032 ellen dolan born 14.11.1858 baptised 14.11.1858 parents given as pat dolan and catherine?,sponsors pat leonard and winnie brannelly.
hope this is of help to you .

Re: dolan/forde

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 1:41PM GMT

I don't know if there is any connection but my grandmother was Mary Jane Dolan born 1871. Mary was the daughter of Patrick Dolan & Catherine Cahill. Mary was said to have 3 brothers at the moment I can only find one a Michael born 1868 who married a Bridget Courtney in 1886.

I haven't found Patrick & Catherine's marraige as yet either, however from the census it seems that Patrick
was born in Galway and Catherine in Co Clare. They both claim to have been born about 1836.

bye for now
maureen

Re: DOLAN; FORD(E) OR GOODE

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 1:43PM GMT

I don't know if there is any connection but my grandmother was Mary Jane Dolan born 1871. Mary was the daughter of Patrick Dolan & Catherine Cahill. Mary was said to have 3 brothers at the moment I can only find one a Michael born 1868 who married a Bridget Courtney in 1886.

I haven't found Patrick & Catherine's marraige as yet either, however from the census it seems that Patrick
was born in Galway and Catherine in Co Clare. They both claim to have been born about 1836.

bye for now
maureen

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 1:08PM GMT
Hello Maureen,

I’m not a descendant of the Dolans and Cahills, but I found the civil birth as well as the baptism indexes for your Mary Jane Dolan. I’m not sure if you have these.

First, the birth index, which shows that Mary Jane’s birth was recorded in Mitchelstown, County Cork on 24 May 1871. The index is from Ancestry.com but references the Latter Day Saints (LDS) microfilm in which a copy of the birth record can be found.

Please see below:

Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911

Name: Mary Dolan
Birth Date: 24 May 1871
Birth Place: Mitchelstown, Cork, Ireland
Baptism Place: Mitchelstown, Cork, Ireland
Father's Name: Patrick Dolan
Mother's Name: Catherine Cahill
FHL Film Number: 255823

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911 [database on-line]. Provo, UT:
Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data: Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620–1911. Index. Salt Lake City, Utah: Family Search.
____

A copy Mary Jane Dolan’s birth record can be found in LDS microfilm number 255823. You can order this film online at: https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/film/255...

Before ordering the film online you’ll first have to register with the LDS. Registration is free. You can have the film sent to your local Family History Center, or participating public library that accepts LDS films. The short-term rental cost of the film is $7.50.

If you don’t want to order the microfilm, you can send for Mary Jane’s birth record from the General Register Office (GRO) in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon. For information and costs of civil birth, marriage, and death records from the GRO, go to the GRO website at: http://www.groireland.ie/

Below is Mary Jane’s baptism index. This was found at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Cork, and shows that she was baptized in the Mitchelstown Catholic Church in 1871:

1 match for the search criteria: Dolan (plus variants) Mary Jane 1871 Parish: MITCHELSTOWN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Cork (North & East)
Surname: Dolan
First Name: Mary Jane
Father's Surname: Dolan
Father's First Name: Patrick
Mother's Surname: Cahill
Mother's First Name: Catherine

Year: 1871

Parish/District: MITCHELSTOWN (RC)
____

The home page for the IFHF can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at any of the IFHF member counties, you’ll need to register with the website. You’ll be able to access Mary Jane’s baptism index for free, but will have to purchase credits to obtain a transcription of her baptism record. The transcriptions will be sent to your computer after you purchase the credits. You purchase credits by credit card.

I also found the IFHF baptism index for Mary Jane’s brother Michael. He too was baptized in the Mitchelstown Catholic Church, but in 1868. Your records also show he was born in 1868.

The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Dolan (plus variants) Michael 1868 Parish: MITCHELSTOWN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co.
First Name: Michael

Year: 1868

____

You can order both Michael and Mary Jane Dolan’s baptism transcriptions from one index instead of from two. To do this, access the index just as you see it below. Do not include the first names of the children. Instead, use the % sign as a wild card in the First Name box. Also do not include a year for the baptisms. The index will look like this:

2 matches for the search criteria: Dolan (plus variants) % Parish: MITCHELSTOWN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co.
First Name: %

Year:

____

I couldn’t conclusively identify a civil birth index for Michael at Ancestry.com or the LDS website. But, as you know the year of his birth and the names of his parents, you can send away for a copy of his birth record from the aforementioned GRO in County Roscommon, if you don’t already have a copy of his birth record.

I didn’t find the birth or baptism indexes for any other children of Patrick Dolan and Catherine Cahill, nor did I uncover civil or church marriage indexes for Patrick and Catherine.

Kind Regards Maureen,

Dave Boylan

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 2:06PM GMT
Hello Dave
Thank you for your time in looking up Mary & Michael's births that was very kind of you. Although I did have copies of their births at Mitchelstown, Cork already. I also have found that Michael was still living there in 1901 & 1911.

I'm still looking for Patrick Dolan & Catherine Cahill marriage which doesn't appear to have been in Cork neither did they have any more children there. They may have married in Patrick's birthplace of Co. Galway or Catherine's of Co Claire or anywhere else in the whole of Ireland!

When Mary was born her father Patrick was listed as a watch & clock maker. He seems to have moved about as in the 1901 census I found Patrick & Catherine in Limerick. They certainly aren't making things easy for me!

Bye for now
Maureen

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 11:57AM GMT
You're welcome Maureen.

Best of Luck,

Dave

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 6:01PM GMT
Surnames: FORD FORDE
It is likely a prior marriage, since middle names were usually Catholic saints' names, like Mary, Catherine, etc. FORD is old Irish, and FORDE is more English, likely emigrated from England. If yours has no -E it is likely the "more Irish" FORD with deeper roots. Mine emigrated from Co Mayo (formerly part was in Co Sligo), so you may want to look at Parishes in those counties. The nw of Ireland was hit particularly hard by TB & Famine...my ancestors left abt 1834.

Posted: 10 Jun 2014 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: Dolan, Goode, Mullholland, Tyman
I am looking at genealogy done by Michael J. Dolan.(my uncle. b:12-28-15, d:6-17-2005) his research shows that John (6-10-1856) & Margaret Mulholland did in fact emmigrate in 1883 to Springfield Ill. They had 10 children.
Michael J
Mary
John P
James
Joseph
Patrick
Edward
Thomas
Catherine
Margaret

John was the son of Michael Dolan and Catherine Goode. John did have a sister Marie who married a Tyman.

Posted: 11 Jun 2014 12:22AM GMT
Surnames: DOLAN, FORD, HOLLAND, MULHOLLAND
Ed,
this is a reply to an OLD message you posted; I have a dna match to a HOLLAND and my family are FORD, from Co Mayo. You can write to me at bbyboom@hotmail.com
Elizabeth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic