Search for content in message boards

HEINRICH DIETRICH: Hessen, Germany>Etna, Allegheny Co., PA

HEINRICH DIETRICH: Hessen, Germany>Etna, Allegheny Co., PA

Posted: 7 Aug 2002 4:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jul 2006 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: Dietrich; Rock; Brill
Looking for descendants or extended family members of HEINRICH DIETRICH (Diderich), son of Johann Claus Dietrich and Elizabeth geb. Rock, b.1828 in Hitzerod, Amt. Abderode in Kurhessen, Germany. Heinrich emigrated to Etna, Allegheny Co., PA in the 1840's along with many relatives and other Evangelical (Protestant) German families from Hessen. In 1856 he married my g g grandmother, ANNA MARGARETHA SPERBER BRILL, a widow with a baby, my g grandfather Ernst Heinrich Brill, whom he raised. Heinrich and Anna had at least 6 other children including Henry, Marie, Susan, Louis and Emma Dietrich born between 1858 and 1869, my g grandfather's half-sibs. In 1870 Heinrich was working as a "puddler" in a steel mill and was a member of The Independant German United Evangelical Church Of Etna. Many members of this family are buried in the Etna Cemetery. Ernest H. Brill lived his entire life in Etna and Sharpsburg, Allegheny County, PA, and, possibly, at least the first American born generation of this Dietrich family did so, as well. Any help appreciated.

Re: HEINRICH DIETRICH: Hessen, Germany>Etna, Allegheny Co., PA

Posted: 25 Oct 2002 10:49PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Dieterich/ Dietrich, zinsmeister, Winter, epping
My grandfather John Claus Dieterich was the son of John Claus Dietrich and Catherine Fredrich who came to Pa from Hessen in 1856/1857.They lived in Lawrenceville and then Shaler township. and owned property in what is now Glenshaw. They too are listed in the Etna church records along with Elizabeth Rock Dietrich, Sandrocks etc. and are buried in Mt. Royal cemetery.I don't have any clear link but believe they must have been related to the Etna Dietrich's.

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 5:50AM GMT
Surnames: Hays, Hayes, Hase,Cook,Fenner,Buck,Brill,Dobbs,Bates,Bryant,Cazadd
Dear Elizabeth, It looks as if we share common ancestors in John (Johann) Claus Dietrich and his wife, Elizabeth geb. Rock. As I understand it, their eldest son, John Claus, and his wife, Catherine Fredrich, were your g grandparents. John Claus' and Elizabeth's second son, Heinrich J., married my widowed g g grandmother, Anna Margareth Sperber Brill and raised my g grandfather Ernst Heinrich Brill in his Dietrich family. Heinrich's father witnessed their wedding on 12 Oct. 1856 in Etna, Allegheny Co., PA. The family is found in Etna in the 1870 Census with my 16 yr. old g grandfather listed as a Dietrich, not a Brill, and 63 yr. old Elizabeth (Rock) from Hesse living with them. There are six other children born between 1858 and 1869, Celis (sic), Henry, Marie, Susan, Louis (my g mother remembered him) and Emma. I, also, have been unable to locate this family in the 1860 or 1880 Census - they must be there - I don't believe they ever left the county! I haven't yet started to search for Johann Claus and Elizabeth's three youger children, Catherine, Johan E. and Jacob; I'm still trying to find my g grandfather, Ernst (Ernest) H. Brill, in the 1880 Census. He married about 1885, built a successful wholesale/retail tobacco business in Sharpsburg, had 4 children, built a home, paid taxes, appeared in the 1900 and 1910 Census, died suddenly before 1914, was laid out in the front parlor and the State of PA has absolutely no record of his death. Where did he go? Barbara in Sacramento, CA

Posted: 3 Nov 2002 5:04AM GMT
Surnames: Sperber, Brill, Hofmahler, Dietrich, Rock,
ADDENDUM: In the 1880 Census this Henry Dietrich family was living in Etna, Allegheny Co., PA with the name spelled "Diederich." The children born between 1858 and 1875 are: Henry; Elisebath; Susana; Lewis; Anna; Lena & Laura. In the 1900 Census Lewis/Louis Dietrich (spelled "Detrich"), his wife Susan and children Ethel, b. 1891 and Norman, b. 1893 are found in Sharpsburg, Allegheny Co., PA where Louis is a "pipe fitter." Any descendants or others researching this family please e-mail Barbara Hays Cook, Sacramento, CA.

Johann Fredrich Dietrich; Germany>Etna, Oil City, & back

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2004 6:45PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 24 Aug 2004 11:34PM GMT
I have read your queries before & do not see the "absolute" link but...
"Indiana Township 1805" i.e. vol. 1; pg 90
Johann Friedrich Dietrich
Johann Friedrich Dietrich came to the Pittsburgh area from Germany around the year 1838, but little is known of his early life except that he worked in Heiber's wagon shop in Etna as a carriage maker. He married Anna Elizabeth Meyers(Maier) & they had 6 children; William, John, Henry, Anna, Louise, & Frederick. In 1855 Mr. Dietrich received his naturalization papers.
Mr. Dietrich acquired several parcels of land in his early days. For one parcel the family still has in their possession the sheepskin which states that the land was first deeded to a soldier for payment of his services in the Revolutionary War.
Around 1863 Mr. Dietrich & family moved to Oil City where he intended to become active in the oil fields; he also planned to establish a hotel in the town. However, around 1877 they returned to Indiana Township & settled on what was later known as the Emerick property off Harts Run Road. Here, he & Mrs. Dietrich made their home with their daughter, Annie, & family. In time all the Dietrich children settled around Little Creek Road & Harts Run Road.
In August of 1891 Mr. Dietrich leased property to the Township
for the construction of Sunnyside School. This property was located on the south end of what was later to become the Fred Dietrich farm. Apparently
(pg. 91) there was a school there in an earlier generation, since young Fred Dietrich & the Zimmerman children also attended a Sunnyside School....
Fred Dietrich, the youngest son, built a home at the corner of Saxonburg Road & Harts Run Road where his family of three were born & reared. ...
Contributed by Pearl Dietrich Sallada.
All photos "Furnished by Pearl Sallade"
pg. 91 photo #1; "...log house that John Dietrich moved into upon his return from Oil City. His dau & family , the Emrichs, lived there with him...
photo #2 "...Log house where John Dietrich moved from to go to Oil City. It was occupied later by his son, W.C. Dietrich...
pg. 92 photo #1; "..bake oven...log house, Mrs. W.C. Dietrich (Aunt Mary) is seen taking baked goods from the outdoor oven...
photo #2"This is the residence of F.W. Dietrich family...late 1800s...corner of Harts Run & Saxonburg Blvd....1960s...torn down & burned.
photo #3 "...(F.W. Dietrich) first farm truck...built seats for it & hauled the school children to the Etna car line...field trips...Before that we walked the five miles to & from the end of the street car line in Etna."
Vol. 2 has more info- next post.

Re: Johann H. DIETRICH: Hessen, Germany>Etna, Allegheny Co., PA

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2004 7:14PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2004 11:34PM GMT
"Indian Township 1805, Vol. 2. pg. 13
Johann Heinrich Dietrich
Johann Heinrich Dietrich & Anna Katrina Jung were married in 1817 at Hitzeroda, Germany. Their son, Johann Friedrich Dietrich, was born at Hitzeroda, Germany in Sept. 1822. He immigrated to America at the age of 16 in 1838. Little is known of his early life except that he worked in Heiber's wagon shop in Etna...
It is believed that a brother came to the U.S. with Johann & that other members of the family arrived later. Many Dietrichs resided in Etna & Sharpsburg & were active in the Etna German Evangelical Chuch...
Johann married Anna Elizabeth Myers before 1850...
pg. 14 ...Johann & Anna Elizabeth had seven children; Mary, William, John, Henry, Anna, Louisa, & Frederick.... Submitted by Wilda Dietrich DeHart & Marylou Dietrich Ford."

sihrman (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2005 7:35PM GMT

Elizabeth Keith (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2005 10:45PM GMT
Surnames: Dietrich, Dieterich
For your info: found the following in the set of naturalizations trancribed and index by Western Pa Genealogical Society Vol 3 1856 - 1869 file year
John H. Diederich 1868: "on age" ( ie arrived under age 18)

My Dieterich's were listed in the 1860 census as Diederich.

Posted: 21 Jan 2011 4:42PM GMT
I am trying to find some info on a Frederick Dietrich who was born in Pa around Philladelphia,and married Addie C and i beleive his mothers name was Addie C Knowles, I know his father was from germany but i can not find any info about them. Hopefully you can help. Thank you, Frederick William Dietrich V

Posted: 21 Jan 2011 4:48PM GMT
I am trying to find some info on a Frederick Dietrich born aug 1870 in Philadelphia and married Addie C born july 1874 and i beleive his mothers name was Addie C Knowles, I know his father was from germany but i can not find any info about them. Hopefully you can help. Thank you, Frederick William Dietrich V
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions