Matilda
Mary
Francis

This family came to America circa 1790-1800

Re: Scotland-Ireland-America...Maxwell

Posted: 17 Aug 2007 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MAXWELL
Is this the William Maxwell found in the 1790 census of Fayette County, PA city of Tyrone? There is also a John Maxwell on the same page. The names you mention are in the census records of Washington Co., PA - Smith Twp
My interst is in the John Maxwell I found by following the Washington Co. census information. In 1850 John Maxwell is 65 and has a wife named Ann, age 64 - both were born in Ireland. Others mentioned born in PA, living with John & Ann, are Sarah, John, Jane & Allis Jane Whitaker.
I do not have much information on the Maxwell family. My starting point was trying to locate (Mary?) Elizabeth Maxwell who married James Flynn. They lived in Fayette Co, PA until Elizabeth's death in the mid 1880's. They had twin sons, FRANCIS & JOHN.
Elizabeth Emberton Bailey - eebailey@pldi.net

Posted: 18 Aug 2007 7:50AM GMT
Surnames: Maxwell
Yes, yes, yes..I can not tell the connection of your John Maxwell to our William Maxwell b 1745 Scotland d 1830 Jefferson County, Oh but our William was definitely in Fayette County, PA with a son, Charles Maxwell b 1777 Ireland d 1857 Jefferson County, Oh daughter Jane b 1769 Ireland d 1857 Jefferson County, Oh and William's wife Sarah b 1753 Scotland d 1837 Jefferson County, Oh. All, mentioned above, moved to the Northwest Territory, Oh sometime between 1790 and 1806. I believe Charles to be one of the younger sons and he left PA with his parents. Charles married a Sarah who was born in PA 1776. Many offspring in our line are named Mary Elizabeth, Francis and Frances (daughters). Would love to find the connection of your John Maxwell to our Maxwell tree. Believe the connection would be between your John Maxwell's father and our William Maxwell. Our William could well be your John's grandfather or his Uncle.

Good Luck to all searching,
Christine Joy Maxwell

Posted: 18 Aug 2007 2:39PM GMT
I am rsearching John Maxwell, son of James Maxwell. According to my research, John came to America with his 2 sons Bezaleel and Edward, 2 uncles and other family and friends. I have participated in the Maxwell DNA Study, and have matches in Pennsylvania and Ohio that I can't find links for. My line is through Bezaleel, and have plenty of documentation from him on down. But, I am trying to find the line in Scotland through John and James.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Posted: 18 Aug 2007 3:36PM GMT
Christine, Thank you for confirming John & William Maxwell in Fayette County for me! I'm not sure where to go from here, but believe I will start by getting up to speed on the Ohio census information. I wondered what happened to William - thought he died before 1820. I have a lot to catch up on, but you have given me hope for finding my Maxwell family. Thank you so much for your help.

Elizabeth Bailey
eebailey@pldi.net

Posted: 18 Aug 2007 3:58PM GMT
Hi Richard,

My cousin, Donna Maxwell Tivener's father, Joseph, joined the DNA testing. Please compare your test results with Joseph's on the DNA study site.
Joseph Edward Maxwell
Kit Number: 33356

Are William b 1745 Scotland, is believed to be son of James or John, Scotland.

We have Maxwell's buried in Jefferson County, Ohio we feel are related to our line but have yet to meet their descendants. Would like to document any connection to these Maxwells.

You may email me directly CMaxwell3 at neo.rr.com

Christine Joy Maxwell

Posted: 18 Aug 2007 4:15PM GMT
You are quite welcome, Elizabeth.
I have attached a page from a book on cemeteries. Although, our Charles Maxwell is buried at Two Ridges Cemetery in Cross Creek, Jefferson County, you will see a notation at the bottom of this page stating he came to Ohio from Fayette County, PA 1806. Charles was appointed the 1st non-residention property tax collector, of district 5, in Jefferson County, Ohio. This is recorded on the attached page from Annals of Ohio Statesmen. Charles was elected to County Coroner as recorded in the The Heald Newspaper Steubenville, Ohio Sept 1806

Please email me directly CMaxwell3 at neo.rr.com I would love to see what you have on your Maxwell's, so far.

Christine J Maxwell
Attachments:

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 5:15AM GMT
I'm looking for Robert maxwell also of Jefferson co Ohio. He was born in pa in 1776 and his father may have also been named Robert and possibly born in Ireland.

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: Maxwell, Lower, Brisbin, Epright, Lamb
I am looking for more info on my line.

Robert Maxwell (born 1807 in Pa)
married Catherine Lower ( born 1814).

In 1850 they lived in Tyrone,PA

their children are:

Mary Maxwell married to Ezra Brisbin,

Martin Maxwell,

George Maxwell - died during the Civil War,

Ann Maxwell married to George Lamb,

Jane Maxwell,

Katherine Maxwell married to James Epright.

Robert and Catherine were suppose to have left Tyrone,PA and gone out west. This info is listed in Ezra Brisbin's obit: Mary Maxwell, daughter of Robert Maxwell, one of Tyrone's early citizens, who with his family in later years removed to the west.

I am trying to find where Robert and Catherine Maxwell moved to out west and any other info on them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions