Search for content in message boards

VENNE IMMIGRANTS

VENNE IMMIGRANTS

Posted: 19 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jun 2002 9:25PM GMT
I am looking for families descended from emigrants who were members of the Venne Lutheran Church, in Venne Germany, in the 1800's. The largest number of these immigrants settled in Jackson County, Indiana. They were the early pioneers of the communities of Sauers, Dudleytown, White Creek, Jonesville, Borchers, Brownstown, Waymansville, Vallonia, Tampico, Wegan, Seymour, Cortland, Acme, Bobtown, to name but a few. Some of the names listed are: ABKE, AHLBRAND, ANDREES, THELMANN, BURBRINK, ROTERT, TOPIE, HURRELBRINK, HAVEKOTTE, BECKMANN, FRISCHE, BETTENBROCK, BOSSE, STEINKAMP, BROCKHOFF, MOHLENBRUCH, BRUGGERMANN, BRINKMANN, EGGEMANN, DINKELMANN, LUBKER, TORMOEHLEN, NIEMANN, SCHOMAKER, OTTE, ELLERMANN, LAMBRING, ENGEL, FRANKE, FRAUMANN, SCHMIDT, GAUSMANN, STROTHMANN, GILDEHAUS, GRAVE/GRAFE, HACKAMNN, STICHAN, MEYER/MEIER, SCHUETTE, TOBROCKE, SCHULTE, HAGEMANN, HARTMANN, HEHEMANN, SCHNITTKER, MOELLER/MILLER, KNOST, KNOSTMANN, PRUSS, WISSMANN, PETERS/PETERSCHLINGMANN, BORGMANN/BERGMANN, HOLLENBECKE, HINNEFELD, DUNKER, MOHLENKAMP/MELLENCAMP, IMBUSCH, IMSIEKE, PARDIEK, KALMEI (Kolwei?), KAMPMANN, VORNHOLT, NORDMANN, KLEEKAMP/CLAYCAMP, VONDERBECKE, SOLLMANN/ZOLLMANN, SCHMERSAL, UPHAUS/UBHAUS, KOCH, KOSTER, PLEGGENKUHLE, KUHLMANN, KRUSE, NIEHAUS, DRIFTMEYER, NOELKER, NIEWEDDE, SAUER, SCHNEIDER, RITTMANN, ROTERT, STROBECKE, WESSEL, SCHROEDER, SCHWARZE, STOCKHOWE, KREYENHAGEN/KREINHAGEN, STUCKWISCH, SURENKAMP, THOERNER, WIETHORN, WINTER, WOLKA. If you are a descendant and have information about your ancestors and their descendants, I would like to hear from you.

TOPIE

Karyl Kay Schmidt (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
My maternal great grandmother was Mary Angeline TOPIE and she was a descendent of the Venne immigrants. She was born in Ohio Oct. 26, 1841 and died in Norwood, Hamilton County, Ohio August 15, 1918. She married Eberhard Heinrich (John Henry) TEGELER . They owned a farm & raised a family near Sharp's Corner, northwest of Penntown in northern Ripley County, Indiana. I have not confirmed by church records yet which family of TOPIES in Jackson County she belongs to but I believe I found her over the weekend in the 1850 census in Jackson County with a TOPIE family and in the 1860 census as a domestic servant in Richmond, Wayne County, Indiana with the Caleb PRAWL family. I assume you are aware of Udo Thoerner from present day Venne who is researching those who left Venne and their descendents. He was in the State last fall visiting all the known settlement locations. We need to correspond further. Thanks for your posting.
Posted: 23 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Karyl, Yes, I do know Udo Theorner. From your response I see that you already have the Topie information. My involvement is that I offered to help Udo find descendants of the Venne Immigrants. When I saw that not many of the names were listed at our Jackson Co. GenWeb site, I posted. Hopefully, it will produce descendants. I have been gathering for Udo, family trees as well as church histories, related to the folks who settled here.
Did Udo given you the Topie's who listed destinations other than Jackson County on Pastor Stueve's emigrant list?

MEIER/VEHRLAGE/ROTHERT/FRANKE

Julie Aton Mobley (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
I am searching for information in Jackson County. John Frederick MEIER (b2-9-1827 d.1-3-1913) married Anna Catharine VEHRLAGE about 1850. Their children and her 2 children from ROTHERT marriage were confirmed at St. Johns Lutheran Church. Their son John Henry MEIER b 4-4-1852 was my gg grandfather. He was married to Maria Charlotte Louisa FRANKE. I would love to have the information on the German church. I only know that "Louisa" FRANKE came to America around 1871 age 19. She came on ship w/brother Fred and cousin Frank ALDENHAGEN. She did housework in Seymour for SCHNECK family. She was born at Post Engster,Osnabruck Germany 4-21-1852. Her parents were
Marie Engel STAHL and Frederick FRANKE. I have a picture of the cabin she stayed in at Waymansville.

FRANKE/ROTERT ETC.

Posted: 22 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
I think I can help you, especially with your Franke's from Engter. Also, I have some info in our files at our church in Waymansville, as well as the Venne file. As you probably know, the residents in and around Waymansville, Borchers, White Creek, and Jonesville, make up the largest percentage of members at these congregations as all four churches are near the Bartholomew County/JACKSON COUNTY line. My response to you will be lengthy, so I will answer you via e-mail direct to you. I'll prepare it and send it to you in the next day or so.

SUNDERMAN, STELTENPOHL, STUCKWISCH,

Frank Sunderman (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
My family was from the Hilter area, just southeast of Osnabruck. Two brothers came to JACKSON COUNTY, INDIANA around 1850. In the Steltenpohl line are Topies, Wehrkamps, my great aunt married a Lambring, Stuckwisch was my grandmas mothers maiden name and I believe they were tied in with the Mellencamps. The Sundermans, sons of Frederick and Wilhelmina(Winklemann) Sunderman and sons of Kasper Sunderman went to Page County Iowa in the 1870s and early 1880s. Mellencamps are also located in Page County. Jerry Steltenpohl(has a query in the '96 or '97 query page for Jackson county has some info about Topie. The Sunderman's (Frederick and Kasper) were (I believe) charter members of St Johns Lutheran(Sauers). I know little about the occurrences in Germany prior to the brothers departure for America and would be very interested in info. Will gladly share what I have that is relevant.

Venne Immigrants - Response

Lee Williams (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BURBRINK, MOHLENBRUCH, MEYER, MEIER, TOBROCKE, HEHEMANN, MELLENCAMP, KRUSE
I have been researching ancestors in Jackson County, IN for several months and my research has touched many of the surnames listed in the original Venne Immigrants post. I have direct ties to Meyer/Meier, Tobrocke, and possibly Hehemann (Hamann???). Although I know my Meyer/Meier line came to Jackson county via Hamilton county Ohio, I have not been able to trace other lines prior to their arrival in Indiana. I'm willing to share any info on these families I have in hopes someone might be able to help me get past this logjam. Thanks. Lee Williams

Venne Immigrants

Posted: 5 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
You have many names that we are looking for. Because the Venne database is so large, I will e-mail you privately. With the names you have listed, I think we will be able to help each other.

Venne Immigrants

Posted: 1 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
How are you coming with you research? Our previous correspondence wasn't posted here for some reason. I write to confirm we did indeed exchange information. The amount of information of Venne descendants settling in Jackson County, as well as other parts of America, is continuing to grow. The gentleman from Germany writing the book about the immigrants from Venne visited recently and is very pleased with all the wonderful family histories folks are sharing with him.

Catherine Louise Topie

Karyl Kay Schmidt (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: TOPIE
Was your Catherine Louise Topie born in Jackson County? What were her parents names and where did she live? What was her birth & death dates?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions