Search for content in message boards

where did the cogburns come from?

where did the cogburns come from?

Posted: 1 Feb 2009 5:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: cogburn
i am trying to trace the history of my fathers parents back far enough to know where they came from over sea.my father is franklin dale cogburn born to gertie cogburn in langly, ark my dad also has an aunt jonnie that died a couple years back.he has about 7 or 8 brothers and sisters left alive lois may,virgina, patsy,willie jean, jerry joe, there are more but i think they have all passed away please help me figure this out.

Re: where did the cogburns come from?

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 5:13AM GMT
LIN; WHAT ARE LOOKING FOR ? FRANK IS MY COUSIN AND UNCLE WILLIE AND GURLIE WERE MY AUNT AND UNCLE...WILLIE DID HAVE BROTHERS...AND SISTERS,YOU DO SEEM TO HAVE THE HANDLE ON THEIR NAMES. I WILL HELP IF I CAN WITH NAMES AND DATES...THE COGBURNS/COGGBURN/COCKBURN CAME OVER FROM SCOTLAND TWO BROTHERS LANDED IN VA..HAD A FAMILY THEN SLOWLY MOVED ACROSS THE COUNTY...NORTH CAROLINA ,SOUTH CAROLINA THEN TENN,AND HENRY,PATRICK, JAMES MOVE TO FANCY HILL DIDT.OF MONTOMERY CO ARK,,NEAR CADDO CAP...1860...dora

Posted: 28 Feb 2009 7:22PM GMT
My Grandfather is Theodore Cogburn. We are living in Oregon, I would love to find out if there is some connection.

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 2:28PM GMT
One of the northern Arkansas Cogburns, James Cockburn,wife Elzada (lots of different spellings), Dora, was my gggrandfather. My Dad is Marshal, son of John Hamilton. To the Oregon Cogburn's: I have some cousins around Portland area, descendents of John Hamilton's brother, Jason, born 1881. Right offhand can't find a Theodore, but I've heard the name, think it was one of Jason's sons maybe. There are also Cogburn place-names down here in Klamath Falls, a Cogburn lived in Dorris CA south of here, passed away late 90's, and there were some over in Lakeview. The history of KFalls includes the "Cogburn brothers" who lived and worked in Dairy evidently, but I couldn't find anything else about them. Would love to explore this with you all sometime! By the by, my cousin, Alene Knight, daughter of my Aunt Lona Cogburn Robinson, passed away in Feb 2009. Any of her children (daughter's last name Jack) please feel free to contact me!

Sharon in KFalls OR

Posted: 14 Apr 2009 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Coggburn, Cramer, Boston
John Jackson Coggburn, b. 9 Feb. 1859, Taney Co., MO, d. 21 Feb. 1910, Boise, Idaho, migrated from Taney Co. abt. 1882 settling first in Malheur Co., Oregon. He probably came west with the Bostons, his in-laws. Abt. 4 yrs later his sister, Ruth "Janie" Coggburn Cramer (my g-g-grandmother), her husband William, & their family also came west, first settling near Vale, Malheur Co. Eventually the Jack Coggburn family, the Will Boston family & Cramers homesteaded on upper Squaw Creek in northern Gem County, Idaho.

There's quite a bit of info on this branch of Coggburns on-line in the White River Valley Historical Quarterly on http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org An article by Janice Looney traces the family back to Washington Co., Tenn.

"Ozark Pioneers. Voices of America" series. Arcadia Publishing, Chicago, IL. has additonal history.

A cousin Andy was killed in a Baldnobber confrontation at the Oak Grove Church in Taney Co.

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 4:42AM GMT
thank you my dad has passed now it has been so long since i have post that i feel silly reply back but that does help also i was wondering if anyone who knew gertie and willie cogburn (my grandma&grandpa) can tell me if there is native american closely related to willie his pictures look like a very dark eyed and dark hair, dark skin man?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions