Search for content in message boards

Johnathan Bivens 1830

Johnathan Bivens 1830

William Finnegan (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2002 5:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bivens, Bivins, Bevans
I am searching for information regarding Johnathan Bivens who was located on the Ohio, Kentucky 1830 Federal Census. At that time he had 2 sons under 5 years of age and 1 under 10 years. At that time Johnathan was between 20 and 30 years of age.

I believe his first or second son born in Ohio County, was my great great grandfather William Thomas Bivens born in 1928. William married Catherine Wells in Owen County Indiana where they lived for several years.

William and Catherine moved to McLean County, IL before 1854 and settled in the area where they raised their family.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading this query

William Finnegan
Kirkland, IL

Re: Johnathan Bivens 1830

Posted: 13 Apr 2002 4:29PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2003 1:33PM GMT
I am having a hard time with JONATHAN BIVENS. There is a JONATHAN BIVENS in the 1830 census of Owen Co, IN with two sons under 5 and one son 5-10. In the 1840 Owen Co, IN census he is listed with 2 sons 5-10 and one son 10-15 and 2 daus 0-5 and two daus 5-10 and one dau 15-20. In the 1850 Owen Co, IN census page 97 he is listed:
JONATHAN BEVANS 43 b KY
AGNUS 43 b KY
BENJAMIN 20 b IN
ELIZABETH 18 b IN
SALLY A 16 b IN
ISABEL 14 b IN
KITTY A 12 b IN
JAMES A 8 b IN
MARTHA J 6 b IN
JONATHAN 4 b IN
JOEL H 1 b IN

JONATHAN BIVENS was married to AGNUS RICE b 23 Feb 1807. They were married in Garrard, KY on 23 Oct 1824. He is the son of ELIJAH S BIVENS and KATHARINE.
BENJAMIN BIVENS mar AMANDA
ROBERT BIVENS mar ELIZA MARIAH RENSHAW
ELIZABETH MARY BIVENS mar ANDREW W LIVINGSTON
SARAH ANN BIVENS mar FRANKLIN WESTON
ISABELLA BIVENS mar JAMES F MARTIN
CATHERINE ANN BIVENS mar ROBERT M PINER
JAMES ANDREW BIVENS mar CHARLOTTE E STEWART
MARTHA J BIVENS mar 1. DAVID KASER 2. LEVI MOHLER
JONATHAN BIVENS mar RACEH CRONIGER
JOEL HENRY BIVENS mar 1. JENNIE 2. MRS NORA HIETT

Wilma

Posted: 14 Apr 2002 2:50AM GMT
I apologize for mentioning Johnathan Bivens on the Ohio KY site. The name I meant to type was Thomas Bivens.

Sorry you are having a hard time with Johnathan's name. My great grandfather William Bivens is listed in the Owen County, Indiana 1850 census with wife Catherine Wells and son Johnathan age 5. Catherine and William were married in Owen County in 1843.

By 1860 they were in McLean County IL with Johnathan 15, Martha Ann born 1852, William Thomas born 1854, Zebidee born 1857 and Mary Agnes born 1859.

William died between 1862 and 1865 in IL by a falling tree.

It seems we both have Bivens relatives that lived in Owen County, Indiana around the same time. I am having a hard time finding the parents of the first William. On the 1850 and 1860 census he listed his birth place as KY.

I can understand the confusion.

Posted: 14 Apr 2002 6:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2003 1:33PM GMT
My family came from KY. My gr grandfather was ISRAEL BIVENS who was a native of Lexington, Fayette Co, KY. He married KATHERINE. He then went to Davies Co, IN where my gr grandfather ANDREW JACKSON BIVENS was born. They both then went to Owen Co, IN. JONATHAN BIVENS who maried AGNES RICE was born in KY and married her in Garrard Co, KY. I think the JONATHAN who married MARGART KELLY was a brother of ANDREW. I have an article that says JONATHAN went to Monmouth,Warren Co, IL to be near his brother. In the 1870 census of Monmouth, Kirkwood, Warren Co JONATHAN is living with ANDREW.
I have seen the WILLIAM THOMAS BIVENS and CATHERINE WELLS marriage license and since they were in Owen Co and he came from KY it makes me think there has to be a connection somewhere! When JONATHAN BIVENS was in Warren Co, IL he rented land from "OAKS'. In the Pinoeer Cemtery of Warren Co are some Oaks who are buried next to RACHEL, HELEN and PHEOBE BIVENS who were children of RUTH ANN JERAULD who married JEREMIAH BIVENS. He second married ISABELLA SLOAN GRAHAM. It makes me wonder if he is also connected with all the other BIVENS.
Thanks for replying. I think I just need to dig some more!

Wilma

Posted: 14 Apr 2002 6:28PM GMT
Hello again,

The William Bivens that married Catherine Wells in Owen County and later moved to McLean County IL was born in Ky as well.

I received this obit among other items from someone in Owen County IL

“Margaret Catherine Barns was born near Spencer, Owen Co. Ind., March 23, 1836 and died at her home in Dallas county, Iowa Feb. 21, 1904, age 67 years, 10 months, and 28 days. At the age of 18, she went with her Uncle to McClain (sic) County, Illinois, where on Jan 2nd 1857 she was united in marriage to Mr. H.W. Hann. In the spring of 1864, she moved with her husband and three children to Chickasaw county, Iowa…”

Barnes was Catherine Wells' mother's maiden name. Maybe your Owen County Bivens family were cousins to mine or some other relationship. It is almost impossible that they were not related at all.

I found the following obit at the Lexington Genealogy and Historical Society in Lexinton, McLean County, IL

TAKEN FROM THE LEXINGTON UNION NEWSPAPER OF FEB. 8, 1902
____________________________________________________________________________________

PASSING OF A PIONEER SETTLER

Friday, January 31, 1902 at her late residence north - west of Lexington, occurred the death of Mrs Catherine Knick, in the 75th year of her age. Her maiden name was Catherine Wells.

The deceased was born in Taylor County, West Virginia on December 10th 1827. She was united in marriage to William Bivens at Spencer, Owen County, Indiana who preceded her to the unknown land more than 40 years ago, leaving to her care their five little children, two of whom have preceded their mother.

She was, some years later, married to James Knick. To this union was born one child. Mrs. Knick was an exemplary Christian woman, ever ready when in health, to respond to all calls for assistance. No matter how poor or humble the one in distress might be she gave a helping hand cheerfully, believing it was a Christian duty. No one ever appealed to her in vain. The stranger was made welcome in her home and never turned away. The cup of water in his name was never withheld. She was never of robust constitution and for years had been an invalid seldom leaving her home. Kind friends and physicians did all they could to relieve her suffering, which in her last days was severe in the extreme.

The children surviving her are Mrs. M.G. Hays of Ansley, Nebraska; Mrs. Azor Dawson of Chicago; Thomas Bivens of Fairbury; and Isaac Knick of this city. To the last named son fell the entire care of his mother for many years past. Mrs. Knick will be much missed in the neighborhood where she had resided 50 years or more.

I also have the obit of Catherine Wells sister Martha Wells Wood that supports this information and gives even more, as she was also raised and married in Owen County, IN.

There has to be some kind of connection.

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 4:50PM GMT
Edited: 9 Apr 2014 5:05PM GMT
Surnames: Bivens ~ Weston
My 2x great grandparent were Sarah Elizabeth Bivens and Franklin Weston of Sidney Iowa Fremont County . I would love any info. you would share on them... parents and grandparents and siblin's. I know Isabella is in the Sidney area as well. i have found her grave and news paper clippings
my Email is badponycompany@gmail.com
my name is Patsy Ettleman
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions