Search for content in message boards

Jane Miles born in England moved to US

Jane Miles born in England moved to US

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Miles, Saunders
Hi I am really hoping someone may be able to help me. I have a relative on my family tree who is called Jane MILES and she was born in 1801 in Aldershot, Hampshire, England. However that is all I can find on her because it seems that she moved over to the United States. The next information I have found about her is her death which is recorded as being in Limestone, Alabama. Her mother was Martha SAUNDERS b.1777 in England d.1840 in England and her father was Richard MILES b.1772 in England d.1841 in England.

Any help to fill in the gaps between England and her death would be so much appreciated!Thanks, Hannah

Re: Jane Miles born in England moved to US

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 1:38AM GMT
Do you have any idea of her married name, and if she married before leaving England?

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 6:55PM GMT
I don't know if these are her or not but this is what i found
Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945 about Jane Miles
Name: Jane Miles
Arrival Date: 17 Jan 1854
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1806
Ship Name: Saranak
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Microfilm Roll Number: M425_77

I also found this since you mentioned Alabama
Alabama, Marriage Collection, 1800-1969 about Jane Miles
Name: Jane Miles
Spouse: Robert Thompson
Marriage Date: 7 Feb 1867
County: Barbour
State: Alabama
Performed By Title: Justice of the Peace
Performed by Name: D B Easterling
Comments: Handwritten note used
Source information: Jordan Dodd, Liahona Research

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 4:17AM GMT
I noticed that in your tree there's no date for her death and no source for the information.

What is the source saying that she died in Limestone, Alabama?

What is the date of the source (i.e., if a relative wrote this in a family bible then when would they have done that?)

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 1:55PM GMT
Surnames: Miles
I just found on someone elses tree on ancestry and all the other information seemed to match, that she is supposed to have died in Limestone, Alabama. This part of my tree there is nobody to ask in my family as nobody knew anyone in the family had emigrated.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:59PM GMT
You should treat unsourced info as just a possibility. Without a source, info is virtually meaningless.

Most trees, unfortunately, are filled with many, many mistakes and lots of trusting newbies just copy whatever they find willy-nilly. That's a big no-no!

You could start by contacting the tree owner and asking him or her the source of the death info...

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 5:29PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 5:37PM GMT
Are you sure she came to the US. I found a couple of Jane Miles with the father Richard still in England as of 1846 and 1866. Can't be sure if its the same one though but 2 different marriages took place. One to John Wilson in 1846 and one to William Jeckill in 1866. The second has her listed as a Spinster on the marriage certificate. I looked at Familysearch.org.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Miles
Do you know the names of her brothers and sisters (if any)? Do you know where and when they died?

Their obituaries could indicate her married name (if applicable) and where she lived, if she survived them.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 6:08PM GMT
The 1850 US Census for Jane Carmon has that she was born in Tennessee -- although that might be incorrect.

Also, the supposed Tennessee marriage record for this couple has her maiden name as Milles.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 10:07PM GMT
Yes she had several brothers and sisters but they all remaine in the UK because I can track them in the census however with Jane I am unable to find anything apart from her birth record.

I would not consider myself new to this anymore as I have been doing it for the last 2 years. Everything on my tree in the description box has where I have sourced my information and I try to back it up twice wherever I can using different sources. So I know when I look at my tree that her death was not confirmed as being Limestone, Alabama.

I never look at other peoples trees unless I am really stuck as I kind of see it as an easy way out and like you said there are a lot of mistakes out there...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions