Search for content in message boards

Proszogulowicz

Proszogulowicz

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 12:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Mar 2013 10:38AM GMT
Surnames: Proszogulowicz, Podgorski, Jolly
Looking for information on Antonina Proszogulowicz (1886-1972) and her family. Her husband Wincenty Proszogolowicz arrived in NY in 1912 and Antonina followed with their two children Lucia/Lucy and Valenty/Walter in 1913. They settled in Trenton NJ and a daughter Mary was born there in 1916. In particular anything on Lucy (possibly Lucy L Jolly, died NY 2002) and on Antonina's step-children Clifford S Podgorski, Vincent C Podgorski (b1919) and Helen Podgorski (b1918).

Re: Proszogulowicz

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 7:25AM GMT
Do you have access to the Ancestry.com trees? The Proszogulowicz family is in at least one...

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 7:45AM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2013 11:21PM GMT
Surnames: Proszogulowicz
I'm not sure if the other tree here is yours? It's under a different user name...?

Have you looked at the original ship manifest for their arrival at Ellis Island? On that it looks as if Antonina's brother was Yozef Laurinovik in Wersa - Kowno. (It's difficult to read, so don't rely on my deciphering skills!)

The family is going to join her husband (children's father) in Trenton, NJ. (more deciphering to be done.)

Take a look -- There are TWO pages to the manifest. The first one that comes up is actually page two and you need to click back to page one.

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 8:11AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 27 Feb 2013 8:17AM GMT
Surnames: Podgorski
I found Antonina Podgorski's obituary. Do you have that?

I also found her second husband's obituaries (2) (Stanley Podgorski's) Do you have those? (His address in the obituary matches their 1930 address in the US census.)

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 8:23AM GMT
This might be Lucia/Lucy's naturalization listing:

name: Lucia Proszegolowicz
event type: Naturalization Petitions
event year: 1944
event place: New York
age (original): 35
nationality:
birth year:
immigration year:
court: U.S. District Court, Brooklyn, Kings, New York
witness names:
affiliate publication title: Index to Naturalization Petitions of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1865-1957
affiliate publication number: M1164
affiliate film number: 108

Source:familysearch.org

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 8:28AM GMT
Thanks for your help.

Yes, I'm aware of the Zera public family trees and have provided information on Walter Proszogulowicz who married Therese Sadie Zera. They lived in Trenton NJ, Walter died in 1983 and Sadie around 1975. No children.

I had seen the ship's manifest and deciphered it as saying that Antonina's brother Yosef Laurinovicz was in the USA at that time (1913). Clearly missed the reference to the children's father being in the US at the time and will have to go back to the library to double-check (only have subscription to Ancestry.com for UK and Australia at present).

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 8:41AM GMT
Thanks, that's the one.
I also know that the 1940 US census shows Antonina/Anna Podgorski residing with her daughter Lucy Podgorski and son (?step-son) Vincent Podgorski in Queens NY. Lucy subequently married ? Jolly and had a son; I'm interested in tracing that line, as well as Vincent Podgorski and his sister Helen Podgorski.

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 8:50AM GMT
Thanks again.
No, I don't have Antonina's obituary and would be very pleased to get a copy. Have only seen the US Social Security Death Index for her.
Had also seen a 1927 Trenton NJ obituary index which showed that a Stanley Podgorski (buried at St Hedwig's cemetery) left behind a widow Antonina. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 4:36PM GMT
You don't need to pay to see the Ellis Island manifests. Go to: http://www.ellisisland.org. You need to register, but it is free.

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 5:05PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 27 Feb 2013 5:13PM GMT
Surnames: Podgorski
Here is Antonina's obituary:

Her son Valenty Proszogulowicz was buried in Limerick, Pennsylvania, so I'm assuming that she is in the same cemetery. His "Record of Burial Place of Veteran" card has "Limerick Garden of Memorial" but the actual name is Limerick Garden of Memories.

Here's the cemetery's web page:
http://www.dignitymemorial.com/limerick-garden-of-memories/e...

They may be able to tell you who bought the plot and who else is buried there.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions