Search for content in message boards

April 9 1940

April 9 1940

Teresa (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2006 2:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Withrow
My grandfather William Guy Withrow was injured in a coal mine accident April 9 1940 at the Raymond City coal mine located in Heizer Creek WV and died several days later. I am seeking any available informantion on this accident or the Raymond City Company

Re: April 9 1940 - Raymond City

Nancy Bauer (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2006 7:10PM GMT
Raymond City is near the banks of the Kanawha River in Putnam County, WV - along with nearby towns called Black Betsy (coal town), Hometown and Bancroft, back away from the river is a place Named Heizer. Stream names there are Heizer Creek, the mouth of which is at Raymond City, further upstream are Manila Creek. I can remember traveling the road past these areas in the mid-1950s (now it is State Route 62). Amherst Industries (formerly coal) still holds title to a large block of land between Bancroft and Hometown, further north of Raymond City.

You might also want to get on the Putnam County section of this board and see if you can glean information from the posts on it.

Check out this: www.putnampost.com - it is a newspaper that is based in Putnam County. check out the items listed down the right side of your screen: Locate a bright yellow oval about an inch across and the words Putnam Democrat - just below those words is a topic - Click on "Old Photos" - Listed is a photo of a coal tipple that is said to be at the Coal Hollow Tipple, Raymond City in about 1918. (If this is not exactly what you are looking for, it will give you a "feel" for coal towns.

Re: April 9 1940

Rick Jarrett (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2006 11:30PM GMT
Hi

According to my WV mine fatality database, I have the following:

Withrow, William Guy (Gary) Age - 37, Injured - 09-Apr-1940, Died - 03-May-1940, Putnam County, Married, Big Otto No. 6 Mine, Raymond City Coal & Transportation Inc., Occupation - Joy Loader Helper, Cause - Fall of Kettle Bottom

The actual report is stored at the WV State archives in Charleston. Hope this helps!

Rick Jarrett
Mine Research Group
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions