Search for content in message boards

Nils (L) Persson b. 1897 in Sweden

Nils (L) Persson b. 1897 in Sweden

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 12:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Feb 2013 10:40PM GMT
Surnames: Persson, Pearson, Parson
Hi!

I`m looking for Nils Persson who was born december 2, 1897 in Långaröd parish in Sweden.He moved to Ystad, Sweden in 1914, became a seaman and left Sweden in 1919. He sent letters to his sister where he mentioned that he worked on ships called S.S. Georgian and possibly S.S Waukegan and S.S Reliance. He worked for United American Line that was based in New York as far as I know. In the letters he mentions that he plans to settle down in Los Angeles. He calls himself Nils L Persson in the letters but he is only called Nils Persson in the Swedish churchbooks. His last name may have been changed to Pearson or Parson in the US. I found a Nils Parson with the same birth date who died in Sacramento, California in 1978 but I have no idear if it´s my Nils.

Would be very grateful for any help!
Mattias Åkerblom
Sweden
Attachments:

Re: Nils (L) Persson b. 1897 in Sweden

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 7:40PM GMT
I could not find an obituary for the Nils PARSON who died in 1978.

Please post a request for an obituary on the Sacramento, California, board.

Good luck

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 7:58PM GMT
I can't determine where the "Wild West" photo was taken. Does it have any identifying marks?

Do you have any of Nils' letters with a postmark from a city, or perhaps a return address? Do you think he lived in New York at the time he worked for the ship line?

Can you narrow down a time-frame he lived in the U.S. for example: the family received letters from the 1940s through 1960s, that kind of thing).

Does the family know whether he married?

Beth
not related

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 8:55PM GMT
Hi Beth, and thanks for your help!

The cowboy photo is taken at something called "Bud´s Gin Mill" and it´s a postcard but there is nothing written on the back so I guess he must have sent it in an envelope.

There is a return adress, but it is a c/o adress to United American Line, 39 Broadway, New York. So I can´t know for certain that he actually lived there.

My grandmother (it´s her uncle) has the letters but I think the postmarks were unreadable. It´s only three letters I think and as far as can remember they were dated early or mid 1920´s.

I don´t know if he ever married, but he mentions a German woman called Cleary or Clerey Wagner who he might have been engaged to. For some reason he writes down her adress (Langestrasse 36, Bremerhaven, Germany). Probably so he could pick up letters when he came there with his ship. I guess this could mean that he ended up in Germany but since he talked about staying in Los Angeles, I believe that´s what he did.

I will call my grandmother tomorrow to ask her about the postmarks and dates.

Mattias

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 12:29AM GMT

name: Nils L Parson
event type: Death
event date: 12 Aug 1978
event place: Sacramento, California, United States
birth date: 02 Dec 1896
birthplace: New York
father's name:
mother's name:
Citing this Record
"California, Death Index, 1940-1997," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/

Name: Nils Parson
SSN: 114-03-4179
Last Residence: 95814 Sacramento, Sacramento, California, United States of America
Born: 2 Dec 1897
Last Benefit: 95632 Galt, Sacramento, California, United States of America
Died: Aug 1978
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

name: Nils L Pearson, taxi cab driver
event: Census
event date: 1930
event place: Los Angeles (Districts 0251-0500), Los Angeles, California
marital status: Single
race: White
birthplace: Sweden
estimated birth year: 1897
immigration year: 1915
relationship to head of household: Lodger
father's birthplace: Sweden
mother's birthplace: Sweden
enumeration district number: 0419
family number:
sheet number and letter: 9B
line number: 69
nara publication: T626, roll 148
film number: 2339883
digital folder number: 4532479
image number: 00639

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 7:40PM GMT
Thanks for the help PaSain!

I´ve actually seen these documents before and it could very well be "my" Nils. I guess there is no way of knowing for certain unless I come across an obituary, and so far I have not.

Thanks again!
Mattias
Sweden
per page

Find a board about a specific topic