Search for content in message boards

Norquist family, Varmland, Norra Ny emigrated to US ca 1866-1880

Norquist family, Varmland, Norra Ny emigrated to US ca 1866-1880

Posted: 8 Sep 2011 7:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information on the Norquist family, emigrated to Minnesota from Norra Ny, Varmland ca. 1866-1880.
Names are JOHN, born ca. 1812; wife CARRIE; son PEDER (Peter), born ca. 1848; son JOHN, born ca. 1853; son Louis born ca. 1857; daughter CHRISTINA, born ca. 1858; son GUST born ca. 1865.

Re: Norquist family, Varmland, Norra Ny emigrated to US ca 1866-1880

Posted: 8 Sep 2011 8:03PM GMT
Cannot find them with the Norquist/Nordquist surname. They may have changed their surname upon their arrival in their new country. Do you know their destination in the US?

Martin

Posted: 8 Sep 2011 10:01PM GMT
It appears they went to Dassel/Cokato Minnesota around 1875; to Marshall County, Minnesota, around 1885; and then to Roseau County, Minnesota around 1890.

Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:29PM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2011 12:51PM GMT
The emigrants from Värmland are well documented and there are many Nordquists in Norra Ny, but I can see no likely emigrants. Where did you see that they came from Norra Ny? Could it be an error?

Are they always found as a family or could they have emigrated separately?

Is there any indication of a Swedish patronymic in addition to the Norquist surname? Any middle names?

Are there any connections to relatives who emigrated?

Martin

Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:50PM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2011 12:56PM GMT
Information that they came from Norra Ny comes from family lore; it is possible that this is erroneous. I am quite sure that they came from Varmland county.

It is possible that they emigrated separately, but because Peter, John, Louis, Christina and Gust were all under 18 when they emigrated (according to US census records from 1900-1920), it is more likely that they emigrated together with their parents.

Peter is listed as "Peter E Nordquist" in the 1900 US census. I believe that the "John L. Norquist" listed in the 1875 Minnesota census in Cokato, Wright County, is the father of Peter, John, Louis, Christina, and Gust. I am unaware of any patronymics; I suppose it is possible that John L. Norquist was the first to use the surname "Norquist" and derived the name from "Norra Ny".

I am unaware of any other family members who emigrated at the same time; it's clear that they all moved to Marshall County, Minnesota, around 1885, and then to Roseau County, Minnesota, around 1890, and have been told that they first came to Dassel-Cokato, Minnesota (Meeker or Wright counties) and possibly were in Chicago briefly before that, but it is becoming harder the farther back I go.

Thanks,

John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions