Search for content in message boards

HAND or ANDRUS

HAND or ANDRUS

Posted: 14 Aug 2001 2:11PM GMT
Surnames: Hand, Andrus
Looking for information on my grandfather's family. My Grandfather, Andrus Jackson Hand, was born in Ladysmith in 1913. His father was Nathan Hand, his mother was Essie Andrus. We have no record of his grandparents' names. I found a Wisconsin BLM land patent for a Jackson Hand dated 09/07/1900, but am not certain it's the same family.

Re: HAND or ANDRUS

Posted: 16 Aug 2001 3:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Nov 2001 4:34AM GMT
I read with interest your post. The American Hotel (and Bar) located in Ladysmith and still located there was sold to my great grandfather David Sanderson by a "Nate" Hand in 1903. There was an article in the Ladysmith News regarding the American Hotel recently (within the last 6 to 8 months). If I recall, there was also a Hand Implement Company near the same property as the American Hotel.

Not knowing where you are located or whether you ever get to Ladysmith, have you checked with the Register of Deeds for Rusk County for a Nathan Hand obituary?

Wishing you luck in your search.

Posted: 16 Aug 2001 10:45PM GMT
I asked my mother if this was our family, and she says that yes, the Hand Implement Company was us, and the hotel probably was also. Apparently Nathan Hand was a fairly wealthy entrepreneur until his partner went bankrupt and Nate had to pay off his debts.

Unfortunately I live on the east coast, so getting to Ladysmith isn't exactly practical, but I'm sure I could write to the Registrar and newspaper and get copies of the information I'm interested in.

Thank you for this bit of information!

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 7:18PM GMT
Surnames: Andrus/Bethel
Just scanning the andrus boards and came across this message about Essie's parents. Essie was the daughter of Sarah Bethel. Sarah Bethel married My husbands Great Grandfather James Franklin Andrus. I have Sarah's obit from the paper and pictures of the family. I'd be happy to share any other infomation you may want. My husbands father talked many times of family in the Humbird and Ladysmith areas of Wis. James F. Andrus served in the civil war from Wis.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic