Search for content in message boards

Charles J. Bays & Mahala George Hill

Charles J. Bays & Mahala George Hill

Posted: 28 Jun 2002 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Sep 2003 3:57AM GMT
Does anyone know the death date (including the reference) & place of death for Charles J. Bays who married Mahala George Hill. He was the son of Charles Bays & Susannah Barker.

Thank you,
Pat Fannin

Re: Charles J. Bays & Mahala George Hill

Karen Olson Ammon (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2002 12:45PM GMT
Surnames: Bays, Kidd, Johnson, George, Webb, Leek
Pat,
Charles J. Bays, more than likely, died before 1911. His death may be recorded in Johnson County, but deaths were not listed with the state until after 1911. I have yet to find exact date of death, nor his gravesite or that of his wife, Mahala George Hill.

By the way, Charles was the son of Charles Bays and Susannah Kilgore. Susannah was the d/o
Robert "Robin" Kilgore and Jane "Jenny" Porter Green. Susannah was named after her grandmother, Susannah Walker Porter.

There was a Susannah Barker that married a Peter Bays in the late 1700's. They were relatives of Charles.

This info can be found on my website.
http://www.karenskyheritage.com

Feel free to ask about source info.
...Karen

Posted: 29 Jun 2002 12:59PM GMT
Dear Karen,
Thank you for the information. Can you tell me when the last date was that Charles J. Bays has been recorded as alive?

Thanks,
Pat

Posted: 29 Jun 2002 6:05PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2005 4:48AM GMT

1880 Johnson County, KY Census
Barnett's Creek
HH 25
Bayes, Charles J 50 Farmer Va Va Va
Mahala 56 Wife Ky Ky Va
Laura E 27 Daughter Ky Va Ky
James J 17 Son Ky Va Ky
Charles W 14 Son Ky Va Ky

Mahala passed away about 1890 and Charles remarried to LOIS DEAL about 1892 and had at least 4 children with her. (He is said to have fathered 15 children between his two wives)

1900 Johnson County, KY Census
household 306
Bays, C. J. May 1825 73 VA VA VA
Lois wife Jan 1848 42
Franklin son Aug 1893 7
Alice dau Jan 1896 4
Laurena dau Oct 1897 3
Walker son May 1898 2

1920 Johnson County, KY Census
Pg 224 - Household 132
Bays, Lois 60 widowed KY VA KY
Alice 23 daughter KY KY KY

As you can see, he is last recorded in 1900. I have no idea where he and his family were in 1910. I have searched and not found him. His second wife, Lois, appears as a widow in 1920.

...Karen

Anne Bays (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 2002 6:09PM GMT
Charles J. Bays died Feb. 20, 1905 in Johnson County, Kentucky.

Posted: 30 Jun 2002 7:03PM GMT
Thanks Anne! No one else seemed to be able to locate the precise date. Where did you find it?
Sincerely,
Pat

rhewlett (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2002 4:02AM GMT
What funeral homes and/or newspapers were in existence during 1905 in Johnson Co., KY?

Re: Charles J. Bays (JoCo Ky Newspapers)

Posted: 2 Jul 2002 4:16AM GMT
Follow this link for the info on newspapers of the region:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~kyjohnso/jcnews.htm

rhewlett (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2002 3:23AM GMT
Thanks Karen. Now I have another question. Do you know if any of these old papers are on microfilm somewhere in Johnson Co.? I'm looking for an obit. in 1905 for Charles J. Bays. I'm in search of a legal document, deed, mg. record, birth record, or anything that would prove who his parents were.
I would appreciate any response from anyone using this site.
Robert

Posted: 3 Jul 2002 4:49AM GMT
Wish I did Robert! I, too, am looking for proof. My next step is to find newspaper articles, etc. that would prove the parentage of my 3rd gr-grandfather, John Bays. (supposed brother of Charles J. Bays) I don't even have a death date to work with, so I have to find that first. (I only have a span of 15 or so years to look through... <grin>)
If I stumble onto anything, I will surely let you know!

Your best bet for early Johnson County death notices is the Paintsville Herald. Also, I hear the Johnson County Library has a lot of microfilmed resources. You might also wish to check the Floyd County Times or Prestonsburg Community College Library. (Remember that deaths weren't always recorded with the local municipality or newspaper. Some of the funeral homes in the area might have a record. The Johnson County GenWeb site has a list of funeral homes that you could contact.)
Good Luck!
...Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic