Search for content in message boards

Connell - Dalton

Connell - Dalton

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 11:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Connell - Dalton
Hi, I am looking for more information on the descendants of Patrick Connell, of Culeen More (or Culionmore), Owel, Westmeath. He first married Ellen and had my greatgrandad Joseph (who married Elizabeth Dalton, dau of Richard Dalton and Hannah Quinn, and emigrated to Argentina). The second wife was Catherine Maher. Siblings: Edward, Patrick, Thomas, Ann, Catherine, Elizabeth, Bridget, Mary and James. Aparently Edward emigrated to USA. Thomas emigrated to Australia. James to Argentina.
I am trying to find out about the other siblings and their descendants.
Please email me at anaoco@yahoo.com
Many thanks, Ana O'Connell

Re: Connell - Dalton

Posted: 23 Apr 2011 9:15PM GMT
There is a bmd website for Westmeath, where you can put both parents names in the search. I did find your
Patrick 1 ox 12 in 8 Parishes in the Griffith Valuation of 1854. This is a fee based service that have just added some passenger records.
Free Griffith: www.askaboutireland.ie & www.failteromhat.com

Patrick Connell, Parish of Mullingar, Townland of
Culleen More tenant of James McLoughlin, house, outbuildings
and land 19 acres 0 roods and 9 perches. The Poor Law Union or Civil Registration District (1864+) Mullingar

www.familysearch.org will have any 1864+ records but the
previous version of this website has old parish records, donated records, etc.ancestral files, and the 1880/1881 US,UK and CA census. The new versions has US Census and some passenger records. The old version also allows you to search other countries for their LDS records.

There are still Connell's listed in Westmeath including some in the Mullingar area, also Dalton's. Perhaps a few letters might help?
You just google Westmeath-white pages, I know you can do the same for Australia but don't know about Argentina.

I do know Ancestry has passenger records.

Annette Code
no relation

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 11:42AM GMT
Surnames: Connell, Dalton
Hi Annette,
Thank you very much for your kind reply to my post in April last year! And I am very sorry that I did not see it until now. My search is slow and sporadic and apparently I have two different ancestry accounts... what a mess!

Anyway, thanks for the info and links. I had seem the Poor law entry for Patrick Connell and the griffith Valuation for Richard Dalton.

Since April last year I have found a new set of living cousins in Australia! Descendants from my great grandfather's brother Thomas Connell.

So my next aim is to try and find the details and descendants of his other brother Edward Connell who emigrated to USA.

Joseph went to Argentina, and that is where I was born.
Many thanks for your help.
Best wishes
Ana O'Connell (Joseph added the O' to the surname when he arrived in Argentina)

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 5:02PM GMT
Hello: yes it was quite common in Ireland to drop the O as then your name wasn't so irish and people found it easier to work under the british occupiers. Later after emigrating you see families who were proud of the O and irishness to regain it.

Ancestry has amazing records for the U.S. so you probably won't have any trouble finding those records. They are up to the 1930 Census, unlike any in the UK, Ireland and Canada.
Not sure about Auz.
You might be able to find Argentinian information on
www.familysearch.org as it is an international source

I sometimes use www.cyndislist.com when looking for resources for other countries.

At least you are looking for an Edward (not Patrick or John)
in the US and that should help somewhat.

Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions