Search for content in message boards

Dewitt Talmadge Davis

Dewitt Talmadge Davis

Posted: 18 Jan 2011 5:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for any information on my great grandfather, Dewitt Talmadge DAvis (b. 12 Jan 1889 in Arkansas). He might possibly have been on a chain gang in Texas at one point but the majority of his life would have been spend in Arkansas/Oklahoma. I am also interested in information regarding his father William Davis (b 1855 in Arkansas). I can find no information on him before he married Levissa Emaline Mangrum in 1879. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Dewitt Talmadge Davis

Posted: 18 Jan 2011 6:21PM GMT
There are several Public Member Trees in Ancestry.com that have info on Dewitt if you have access...

Posted: 18 Jan 2011 7:55PM GMT
I've looked at quite a few of the trees. I'm looking for his criminal record and info on his father's side of the family. That is where I run into a complete block. I also can't get very far with his mother's side of the family. My grandfather, his son, always said that his grandmother was a full blood indian but I can't get very far in finding any of this information. I know that the family has a roll number but I just keep hitting road block everywhere I look.

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 7:50PM GMT
Unable to find any Dawes records for the family. But here a couple of links to the Old Cache Cemetery in Haskell Oklahoma where a lot of Davis' and Mangrum's are buried, including Dewitt T., William A. and Emaline. Maybe that will help some...

http://members.tripod.com/~mccurtain_2/onlinecem/cache1.html

http://files.usgwarchives.net/ok/haskell/cemeteries/oldcache...

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 8:18PM GMT
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, looking at the listings from the cemetary. I have more questions. My mom always said that her great grandmothers name was Hollie Sumner. On the census records I have found it Sumners, Sumner, Summers and Simmers. On the listings William A. was married to Hollie Summers (no other info) then Levi was married to Hollie Sumner - daughter of Mark Sumner and Mary Jane Davis. I have Hollie "Summers" parents as George Sumner and Mary Jane Davis. How can something be so close in names. Do you know how I might go about finding the truth to all of this? I love this genealogy stuff, it's so addicting, but then i get so completely frustrated.

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 8:59PM GMT
Could be that whoever noted the comments on the cemetery pages was misinformed. Here's more supporting evidence that Hollie Sumner married Dewitt T. Davis on 8/11/1924 in Leflore County Oklahoma. This is a link to the Oklahoma District Court Records...

http://www1.odcr.com/results.php#/results.php?Page=0

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 1:22AM GMT
Another thing you might look into is sending off for copies of the death certificates...they ususally list the spouse's name and the parents' names (including the mother's maiden name). I would send off for Dewitt's, Hollie's, William's and Emaline's...

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 1:42AM GMT
Dewitt's WWI Draft Registration Card in Ancestry.com lists that he was currently in the Colorado National Guard in Golden, Colorado. There is a Military search within Ancestry.com for "Colorado Soldiers in WWI, 1917-1918" where you can search for Dewitt T. Davis...and he is listed there.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions