Search for content in message boards

Mitchell/St. Michel/ from Canada

Mitchell/St. Michel/ from Canada

Lucie St-Michel (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mitchell, St-Michel, Lariviere, Richer, Lepage, Merlot, Tusole
Searching for relatives that have gone from Canada to USA in the 1800s. Originally, the family name was St-Michel, but can have been anglicized to "Mitchell" or "St. Mitchel", or any other variations.

My ancestors are Pierre Michel married with Catherine Tusole (or Tousole), from Languedoc, France. One son came to Canada : André Michel dit St-Michel, born about 1674, married to Francoise Valade on Oct 17, 1718, in Montreal, Province of Quebec, Canada.

Many descendants stayed in Canada, in the Beauharnois and Valleyfield area. Others went to Ontario, maybe Saskatchewan, and still others went to the USA (New York, Minnesota, etc.).

One descendants in particular would have established himself in Long Sault Island, near Massena, NY : Joseph/Gabriel St. Mitchell/Michel, with his wife Marie Arsenault dite Lariviere, and at least one of their children, Adelaide. This last child later wed Joseph Richer dit Louveteau.

I would be very interested to exchange information. Thank you.

Lucie St-Michel

Lariviere/Revier

Posted: 10 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 6:00AM GMT
Surnames: Lariviere, Revier, Derosia
My ggg-grandfather name was Gabriel Lariviere. He was born in Vaudreuil, Quebec CA in 1793. He married Mary Queen Derosia also of Quebec. They settled and farmed in St. Lawrence County NY (around Massena?). Gabriel and his brother Andre entered the USA in 1823 and adopted the last name Revier. After Gabriel's death in 1862 Mary moved with her family to Redwood County, Minnesota. If anyone has any information on the Lariviere/Revier family of St. Lawrence County, NY or the family of Mary Queen Derosia I would be deeply grateful if you would contact me at kat_amberg@hotmail.com. Thanks, Kathy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lariviere/ Revier

Posted: 11 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lariviere, Revier, Derosia, Comtois
The information that I was given for ggg-grandfather Gabriel Lariviere/Revier is that he was born September 20. 1793 in Vaudreuil, Quebec. He moved to St. Lawrence County in 1828 where he farmed near Massena, New York. I was told that Gabriel's father was Jacques Bernard-Lariviere and his mother Marie Charlotte Comtois. I have 3 brothers listed for Gabriel: Andre (married to Elizabeth Polly and also a farmer near Massena NY), Joseph, and Louis (married to Isabelle Rochbrune) also one sister: Josephte Lariviere( married to Louis-Blaise Marchand). Gabriel was married to Mary Queen Derosia (also from Canada). Gabriel and Andre both adopted the last name Revier after settling in the USA.
Gabriel and Mary had 11 children. Gabriel died in New York in 1862. After his death Mary moved with her family to Minnesota and died on May 23, 1893, in Rice County, Minnesota. I recieved this information from a cousin in Minnesota who has been researching the Revier/Lariviere family tree.

Gabriel Lariviere

Posted: 11 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hi,

do you know if the name of your ggg-grandfather was "Larivière" or if it was "Arsenault dit Larivière" ? Do you have the name of his parents ? or his birth date (month and day) ?

I checked the PRDH site and could not find a Gabriel Larivière baptised in the parish of Vaudreuil in 1793.

I am interested to know more about your line.

Web site on Hilaire Bernard dit Larivière

Posted: 12 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hi,

could it be that *your* Jacques Bernard-Larivière is a descendant of Hilaire Bernard dit Larivière ? I saw a web site on this, maybe it would be interesting for you to check it out ? It is about the *early* marriages in this family, those in the 1700s.

If it is your line, then the research would be different, I guess, and the name researched would be "Bernard" instead of "Larivière" ? at least for the early years.

Bernard dit LaRiviere/Desrosier

Michelle (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bernard, Derosier, Desrosia, Derouchia
Hi Cathy,
I too have relatives who migrated to Massena,St.Lawrence County,N.Y. My great-great grandmother was a Euphrosine Bernard who married a Jacques Rollin and stayed in Glengarry County,Ontario. Euphrosine was the daughter of Louis Bernard and Elisabeth/Isabelle Rockbrune. Louis is the son of Jacques Bernard and Marie Charlotte Comtois. Jacques Bernard dit Lariviere, the son of Jacques and Marie.Jos.Ouimet. Jacques Bernard the son of Jacques and Charlotte Duret. Jacques the son of Hilaire Bernard dit Lariviere and M.Madeleine Voyer. Hilaire Bernard dit sieur de La Riviere married a Gabrielle Danneville.(I have some slight confusion on this last fellow). I do have dates and places for all these folks marriages.
Then I too have Derosia's that I am trying to track. They are in Massena in the early 1800's. I am trying to find them before that. They end back up in Ontario married into my Bernard line.
Michelle

Response

Posted: 29 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 1:27PM GMT
Surnames: Revier, LaRiviere, Bernard
Hi Michelle:

I have been researching the ancesters of my mother-in-law, Lorette Thelma Revier who came from Massena, New York.
Andre Revier, son of Jacques Bernard dit Lariviere and Marie Charlotte Comtois, is her 3rd great grandfather.

I knew of Andre's brother, Louis, but knew nothing of him except his marrage (11/6/1809 Ste Jeanne Chantal, Vaudreuil, Li'le Perrot). I am happy to know now of an additional branch.

I had not been able to get the connection between Jacques Bernard dit Lariviere and his parents Jacques Bernard dit Lariviere and Marie-Josephte Ouimet. I have quite a bit of information back from there including a nice description of Hilaire's life, and information on the Andre, Joseph, and Gabriel branches. I would like to share information and am interested in the above link.

Thanks Bill

Bernard dit LaRiviere

Posted: 30 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2002 5:24AM GMT
Surnames: Bernard, Lariviere, Revier, Comtois
Hi Michelle,
I guess My ggg-grandfather Gabriel and your Louis would be brothers. I have info up to Jacques Bernard-Lariviere and Marie Charlotte Comtois but was unable to make the connection between Jacques Bernard-Lariviere and Marie Josephte Ouimet. Thanks for making this connection for me. I would love to share notes with you regarding these ancestors. You can email me at kawischnak@hotmail.com
Once again thanks for the connection. Kathy

Revier Heritage

Posted: 17 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 2:13AM GMT
Surnames: Layo, Revier
In 1890 Clarissa/Clara Layo married Henry William Revier in Massena,New York. Looking for family history as we are pursuing the Layo family tree and have no information on this relative. Do you see a name that looks familiar?

Jacques Lariviere and Marie Comtois

Posted: 18 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bernard, Revier, LaRiviere, Comtois, Derosia, Derosier
Hi again,
Jacques Bernard dit LaRiviere and Marie Comtois seem to be a weak leak in my family research. I have been able to find very little about gggg-grandparents Jacques and Marie. I would appreciate any info you might be able to share with me, ie. dates, places, ect. Do you have anything on the Comtois branch? I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions