Search for content in message boards

Prisoner Info From Wisconsin State Prison

Prisoner Info From Wisconsin State Prison

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 9:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know how to obtain information on a prisoner in the Wisconsin State Prison in Waupun, Wisconsin? My great uncle, John O'Donnell (born 1867 in Mass.) was an inmate there in 1899 and supposedly for 4 years. Found him in the 1900 U.S. Census. Would like to know the particulars.

Re: Prisoner Info From Wisconsin State Prison

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 4:20PM GMT
I found my prisoner relative through the Jefferson County Circuit Court Records online...sorry I don't have more information than that. I had to order the record and it gave me a lot of information as to why he was sentenced. This was in 1929, so yours may be harder to find, depending on where he lived and if the courthouse burned down, never fails. Good luck on your search.

Posted: 9 Nov 2013 11:13PM GMT
Joodybos made a comment about you being able to find information about your relative if the Dodge County Court House didn't burn. Actually it did burn down in the 1870's, which makes a lot of genealogic research difficult for Dodge County ancestors living there before about 1877. I would think you would be ok with records from 1899. Best wishes with you research.

Posted: 9 Mar 2014 3:39PM GMT
Did you ever find an answer. I too am looking for information on an inmate in the 1900 Census.

Posted: 9 Mar 2014 11:12PM GMT
No, I have not found anything in regard to his prison records at Waupun in 1899. Ironically, I found a John O'Donnell born in 1867 in Mass. in the Wisconsin State Hospital listed in the 1905 Wis State Census and believe it may be him. After that, he drops out of sight. I do wish that I could get the prison records somehow after such a long period of time. I contacted the county where he was arrested, but they don't have records that far back. Wish someone had experience with inmate records. Will let you know if I find a key to this mystery!

Posted: 10 Mar 2014 11:32PM GMT
I don't know if this will help you or not, but you might want to try findagrave.com. I found an entry for a John o"Donnell in the burial listings for the Wisconsin State Prison Cemetery. The place and date of birth do not match your information, but you never know until you do some investigating. Search on findagrave.com. Select US, Wisconsin, Dodge, Wisconsin State Prison Cemetery. Scroll through the list of interred until you come to O'Donnell. If you haven't tried writing to the State Prison in Waupau yet, you should try that as well. You might have better luck there than with the Dodge County Court House. Best wishes -- DT

Posted: 20 Mar 2014 7:15PM GMT
I found my information at the Wisconsin Historical Society. They have the prison records.
email: askarchives@wisconsinhistory.org

Posted: 20 Mar 2014 8:17PM GMT
Thanks so much for the information. I saw that one, too, and tracked him down. He's much older. The family (slight hope) would have brought back my John's remains and buried him with the others. You are absolutely right about anything being possible! I just got a lead about requesting prison records on askarchives@wisconsinhistory.org

There are so many tributaries to this river! Prison relatives are usually buried like dog bones by families. Good or bad, they still belong to us. I'll keep you posted if anything develops. The search continues......

Linda

Posted: 21 Mar 2014 5:03PM GMT
Thanks so much for the lead. I contacted them and they don't have a Prisoner Index for 1898-1945. The only thing that might help is if I had exact dates so that they can look in the Prisoner Conduct Listing. They suggested that I visit them and go through microfilm. Being a Texan, this is impossible. I'm going to keep pursuing this from every angle possible.
I'll keep in touch and let you know how this works out or unravels. Thanks again!

Linda

Posted: 22 Mar 2014 11:44AM GMT
Sorry they couldn't help. Here is something that also helped me: newspapers. I joined newspapers.com. They have a good index of Wisconsin papers. I found my relative in the news, before he went to Waupun. Good luck. Gwen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions