Search for content in message boards

St.Michaels Hopewell

St.Michaels Hopewell

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 8:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
My sister (michelle ) and i were in that HELLHOLE from 1958-1962 sis has passed on but im still trying to locate anyone that was there around that time , i understand the building was destroyed in 1973 can't seem to find any records or anyone that could help. some of the nuns were Sister Edberger , sister joann (played the harmonica) Father Morgan Kelly.

Re: St.Michaels Hopewell

Posted: 1 Apr 2009 3:52AM GMT
Hello! Several years ago I was friends with a gent who lived about a block from the site of St. Michaels. It was dynamited in the 70s, which I always found fascinating. He was friends with an elderly nun who had been there, and she let us copy her scrapbook-- which I need to locate now after 10 years and sorry I don't recall the nun's name! I know the barber in Hopewell was at the orphanage at some point but refused to talk about it. Hopewell Historical society and museum also has some info. You might want to try there. Good luck!

Posted: 1 Apr 2009 8:45AM GMT
Thank you for responding i'll try and see what info i can get from them. Once again thanks ..Dennis

Posted: 1 Apr 2009 8:51AM GMT
Brother , if by any chance you do come across the scrap book please let me know , thanks again for your time.

Posted: 1 Apr 2009 8:10PM GMT
I FOUND IT!! I knew I had seen it during a recent excauvation of my living room (housecleaning is too timid a term.) It is 50 pages of xeroxed newsclippings and book pages, letters, etc-- and a pretty nice big shot of a large group at a lake in 1957. Anyway, lots of the pix are very grainy 3rd generation copies-- but plenty of info. Please email me directly at roch4t@aol.com. I can copy it for you at the local museum where I volunteer. Several newsclippings and photos about the place closing in 1973, and I bet there's stuff in here you would like!

Posted: 30 May 2009 1:05PM GMT
Hi,
I read your note to Dennis about the scrapbook and was wondering if you ever found it. We have two sites....stmichaelshopewell one on facebook and one on myspace. We have been getting alot of people signing up that went there. We have been searching for other "alumni" but any info would be great to have. Especially a nun's scrapbook. I've been to the Hopewell Museum. Actually when I was a kid that was my favorite place to go visit. The next thing we enjoyed was flatening pennies on the RR track. My grandmother would have had a stroke if she knew what we were doing. Well my email for St. Michaels is
stmichaelshopewell@yahoo.com
If you find the scrap book, or can think of anything else let me know. thanks for contacting us.
Diane Bruckmann Jordan

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 11:44PM GMT
My mother was a resident of St. Michaels Orphanage from 1927 to 1932. A wonderful employee of Catholic Charities was able to go into archives of the orphans and actually sent me about 20 pages she copied from originals. There was so much info about moms life....(not the horrible things)...but at least more info than we had ever had.

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 11:46PM GMT
How far back do actual records go?

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 4:08AM GMT
Surnames: Weiant
How did you get in touch with Catholic Charities? Is there an email or web page?
Thanks,

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 6:34PM GMT
Look on the web under "Catholic Charities, Diocese of Trenton" I began with someone working in adoptions but do not know who is there yet. You may have to be persistent.
It took me a few months of pleading, asking, begging but when they gave me photocopies it was worth it.
Best of luck, my prayers are with you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic