Search for content in message boards

Massengale

Posted: 7 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Deed
Edited: 19 Aug 2003 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Massengale, Massengill
Looking for information and descendents of Rederick/Reddick Massengale who was born in 1789 in Nash County, North Carolina, migrated to Georgia with his wife Francis Hawk (b.1793) and family around 1823, and appears in the Itawamba, MS later.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Lisa
Posted: 8 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2002 2:51PM GMT
Not a Macon County, Georgia Family

Reddick

Rick Barber (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hi,

I've been doing some research on my family tree. Just started recently. For the family surname "Massengill". That was my great grandfather's surname. The reason I responded is that his grandfather's name was "Reddick Harper". Born, 1795 and lived in Johnson N. Carolina. Sounded too close for coincidence. Let me know? :)

Redrick/Rederick Massengale

Peggy King Truesdell (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MASSENGALE, AUSBURN, LINDSEY
First, let me say that I am not a descendant of the above surnames. I have relatives who are. I have copy of Affidavit dated July 14, 1896 to the Dawes Commission in Muscogee (sp.), Indian Territory, by James William Lindsey, who "traces his [Cherokee] Indian blood by direct lineal descent as follows: From Redrick Massingale to his daughter, Polly Ann Massingale, married to Abraham Ausburn; thence to their daughter, Martha Louise Ausburn, married to Samuel Henderson Lindsey; thence to their son, this applicant, James William Lindsey. The said original Rederick Massingale having been a full blood Cherokee Indian, domiciled in the Cherokee Nation of Georgia, previous to the migration west and a member of the Cherokee Nation or tribe."

Thanks for supplying the name of Redrick's wife. AUSBURN descendants were first cousins to my father through marriages to his RIDGWAY line.

Polly is nickname for Mary. Is Polly Ann and Mary Massingale the same person?

Thanks so much.
Peggy King Truesdell
Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma
e-mail: pjkingtru@aol.com

Re: Redrick/Rederick Massengale

Posted: 5 Jun 2002 6:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Peggy, My name is Georgia Long and I'm Redderick Massengale's ggg granddaughter. I've been looking for the proof of the Cherokee hertiage for a long time. I would greatly appreciate a copy of the papers that you have. I started searching for the information in 1992. My mother and grandmother both were hoping I would find the connection. They have both died since I began the search. I also have a question--- is Polly the same as Polly Dewberry? My grandmother said there was another Indian in the family and I thought they were Choctow. I'm not sure if the last name was Dewberry or Dayberry. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks, Georgia Long

Posted: 5 Jun 2002 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: Massengale/Little/Thompson/Weaver/Burdine/Fears
Hi Georgia, my name is Lisa Thompson and I too am Reddick's ggggrand daughter. I recently was given a copy of the papers your talking about but what they are is WILLIAM R. MASSENGALE, b. Abt. 1828, GA; d. July 02, 1903, Durant, Oklahoma (Reddick's son), application for Cherokee citizenship which he was denied. I would be glad to pass them on to you. It's funny you mention Choctaw because growing up we were always told we were Choctaw but I have yet to confirm that.

Georgia (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2002 5:05PM GMT
Hi Lisa..it's wonderful to find you. Who are your parents and grands? Do any of you live in Ms.? I would really like to know all the family. Here's a little bit more of what I know from my side of the family: Martha Ellen Massengale Married Amaziah ??? Stafford Dau. Georgia Mae Married Harvey Davis Children Harvey Raymond Davis wife-Mary Alice Weaver Davis children: none ..2 step children James Davis wife-Louise Carradine Davis children: Eddie Davis William Lamar Davis wife-1st Peggy M. Davidson Davis children:Linda Jean Raymonette William Lamar,Jr. wife-2nd.??? Doss Davis wife-Grace Evans Gann Davis children: Larry Evans Linda Kay Julie Anne ?????? Doris Maxine Davis-my mother husband-George Robert Smith children: Baby Boy ..died Barbara Ann Alice Faye Georgia Mae Baby Miscarried Robert Evans George Darrell Davis wife-1st..Peggy Newby Davis children: Jovania James Harvey Andrew Jackson Marty wife-2nd...Maria (Mexican) children: Alberto(adopted) Peppe(step son) Lisa Gabrella This is the list as best I can remember. I will compile a list of the children's families as soon as I can. I don't know many of Grandma Davis' brothers and sisters but her sister Bessie had married Farris James from Houlka, Ms. Bessie died when I was a child. I know Jessie James(a woman known as Tincy was part of the family but I don't know the exact connection-she had a son Joel and a dau.Martha and a son Billy. I'd love to hear about your side of the family. Georgia

Georgia (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2002 5:32PM GMT
Lisa-my e-mail address is cdoliverfam@webtv.net. I would love to have all te information I can get. I'm going to be going to Ms. next week and I'll go to the historical museum in Amory and see if I can find a copy about the Indians in Smithvile. Smithvile is a very small town just outside of Amory. It has grown a little bit in the last 4-5 years because of the Tenn/Tom Waterway going in. It used to be a small farming town and still is because itonly has a few stores. One of these stores is called Coker Groc.,these people are related to the massengales also. I don't have any of my research papers down here with me but it seems to me when Reddick went to Oko. one of his brothers went also. As for the Choctow woman-I know she is family but I can't remember her exact name but Grandma Davis mentioned her many times. I remembered 2 more of Martha Ellen's children..Samuel,and Lemuel. Do yo have any information about Martha Ellen and her brothers and sisters? Thanks..Georgia

Posted: 6 Jun 2002 9:21PM GMT
Georgia, I tried to contact you at cdoliverfam@webtv.net but it came back to me. Please e-mail me at L7T@aol.com

catherine Spann (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2006 4:47AM GMT
redrick/rederick massengale /massengill lived in smithville mississippi inlate 1800's according to history book by jessie pierce spent remainder of life in area, I am a ggggranddaughter my granddaddy was ellie oliver massengill/massengaleand his mother i believe was a stafford not sure on this. i am looking for all of redricks children and their marriages. If anyone wants from my granddaddy down i will be glad to supply
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions