Search for content in message boards

John Montgomery of Wabash County, Illinois

John Montgomery of Wabash County, Illinois

Posted: 14 Jun 2005 4:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for the parents of John Montgomery of Wabash County, Illinois. He was born Jan. 9, 1809 either in NC or Tenn. (I'm leaning towards Tenn.) He married Elizabeth Gaddy (dau. of Elijah Gaddy and Lydia Fuller) in Wabash County, Ill in 1830. She died in April 1858. He died Dec. 4, 1858 in Wabash County. John & Elizabeth had 11 children, most of them underage when their parents died. Two of the sons, Leonard and William were killed in the Civil War. Since Leonard is not that common of a Montgomery name, I am hoping that John might be tied to the Montgomerys in Bedford and Coffee Co., Tenn. as well as Leonard L. Montgomery in Franklin Co., Ill.

Children of John and Elizabeth:
James Montgomery b: 02 Feb 1834 in Wabash Co, Ill d aft. 04 Feb 1888 md.Lidia Elizabeth (Sidia) Moore m: 19 Mar 1863 in Lawrence County, Illinois She was b: 14 Aug 1838 in Illinois d: 16 Nov 1893 James had at least 9 children but most died in infancy or childhood. Possibly Elizabeth, Mary A., and Sarah E. lived to adulthood.

William Montgomery b: 13 Feb 1836 in Wabash Co,Ill d: 06 Apr 1862 in Battle Of Shiloh, Tennessee--unmarried

George Montgomery b: 15 Aug 1838 in Wabash Co,Ill d: Bef. 1850 in Wabash County, Ill

John Montgomery, Jr. b: 03 Aug 1840 in Wabash Co, Ill probably did not live to adulthood

Lucinda Montgomery b: 25 Jan 1842 in Wabash Co, Ill d: Bet. 1910 - 1920 in Probably Tarrant County, Texas
Md #1 Archibald Ruddle Roberts b: 12 Oct 1822 in Wayne Co, Ill m: 27 Nov 1859 in Mt. Carmel, Wabash Co, Ill d: 15 May 1865 in Mt. Carmel, Wabash Co, Ill
Md #2 John A Muncy, Sr. b: 1835 in W Va m: 30 Dec 1866 in Wabash Co, Ill d: 08 Aug 1887 in Mansfield, Tarrant Co, Texas
Md #3 Solomon S McGuire b: 1827 in NC m: 29 Jun 1890 in Tarrant Co, Texas d: Bef. 1900 in Mansfield, Tarrant Co, Texas

Leonard Montgomery b: 18 Feb 1844 in Wabash Co, Ill d: 25 Nov 1861 in Camp Butler, Springfield, Ill--unmarried

Malinda Montgomery b: 10 Mar 1846 in Wabash Co, Ill d aft. 21 Jan 1862

Mary Ann Montgomery b: 16 Feb 1849 in Wabash Co, Ill md James Rodgers b: Abt. 1837 in Wabash Co, Ill md abt.1874 d 26 Oct 1879

Elizabeth Montgomery b: 18 Mar 1851 in Wabash Co, Ill d: 21 Feb 1852 in Wabash Co, Ill

Martha A Montgomery b: 24 Dec 1852 in Wabash Co, Ill md, William B Thompson b abt. 1845 in Ill m: 08 Aug 1867 in Wabash Co, Ill had a daughter Malinda b. 1868. (Martha may have married as #2)Richard Lafayette Gulick b: 02 Aug 1849 in Decatur, Macon Co, Ill m: 22 Sep 1870 in Macon Co, Ill d: 29 Nov 1916 in Macon Co, Ill

Elijah Montgomery b: 25 Feb 1856 in Wabash Co, Ill d aft. 04 Feb 1888

Any help or suggestions appreciated!!

Re: John Montgomery of Wabash County, Illinois

Keith A Montomery (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2005 4:56AM GMT
Just wondered about your source for these birthdates. I am a researcher of Richland Co. IL and had this family in my database. I am positive that I am not a direct descendant of this family, but do all families in the area just to be sure. You can never tell who might be a cousin. Also have a number of Gaddy's, but nothing that goes as far back Elijah and Lydia. I take it by looking at the data that you are a descendant of Lucinda? My ancestor is Nathaniel b.1793 KY, the eldest son of William of PA who moved to NC and then KY. About 1810 the family was near Bowling Green KY. We are not sure of William's age or whether he was married previously

Nancy Runta (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2005 1:27PM GMT
First of all, yes, Lucinda is my ancestor. Two of John & Elizabeth's sons (Leonard and William) died in the Civil War. Birthdates of children from affidavit by James Montgomery in a pension claim for death of brother, William Montgomery who died in Civil War. Affidavit states that dates came from Family Record. It also gives death dates of both parents. William was in Co. G 48 Ill Vols. Elijah Gaddy and Ezekiel Gaddy testified that they knew Elijah Montgomery (youngest child of John & Elizabeth) (Aug. 11, 1887) and That John Montgomery and Elizabeth Gaddy were married in 1830 in Wabash County, Illinois by George Knight, JP. The records of the marriage were destroyed by fire in 1858 in the burning of the courthouse.

By the way, I too am a searcher in Richland County--Clark, Richards, Parker, Bass, Gaddy, and McCoy. Did your Montgomery's settle in Richland County?

Keith A Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2005 7:55PM GMT
We believe that our Montgomery's are the same ones that are mentioned in the annuals of Kentucky in an indian attack near Boonesboro. This is based on the known fact that Mark Twain's (Samuel Langhorn Clemons) mother was descended from this group. There are letters that members of the family have which Samuel wrote to my Nathaniel's daughter in which he addresses her as My Dearest Cousin Susan. there is also correspondence from the Logan's who were also known to be related to this line. It is possible that Nathaniel's father William (both were actually named William Nathaniel Montgomery) was the brother of Samuel's Clemon's maternal grandmother, but we can't prove it completely. These Montgomery's came from Pennsylvania to North Carolina to Kentucky in the mid 1700's. From there groups go to Illinois, Tennessee, Alabama and Missouri. Mine married into the Bayse family who owned a landgrant in Missouri from the french before the Louisana Purchase and were able to get it recognized after, Nathaniel was born 1793 near Louisville KY, but several of the children were born near Bowling Green KY and at least one in Tennessee. By about 1808 they were near St Louis and at what would become Bowling Green, Pike Co., Missouri by 1815. Several lawsuit's were filed in the Probate Court's of early Illinois in which William and his wife were named, but we don't know how these Illinois Montgomery's were related. William died 1829 near Bowling Green MO. William's son John b.abt 1805 and daughter who married a Hudson lived near the border between Lewis and Clark Co. MO until the time of the Missouri Compromise. Being large slaveholders they moved to Caldwell Co. TX with the Quarel's, I might have misspelled that, who were descendant's of Mark Twain's mother's sister. Other Montgomery's earlier up the family line are known to have been the ones from whom Montgomery, AL takes it's name. I am hoping to take part in the Montgomery yDNA project to help prove the connections, but I'm at, I'll call it the end of the road Valdez, Alaska for the next year at least, so it will be a while before I get close enough to civilization to participate. We are about 300 driving miles from the nearest Mc'D or movie theatre. It's beautiful and has it's great points, especially in the summer, but without our highspeed internet connection I'd go nuts in the winter.

Posted: 19 Jul 2005 10:41PM GMT
Wow, interesting family history. And wow on being in Alaska. I would love to take a cruise up that way but don't have any inclination to live there! It's great that you are doing the DNA thing. Do you know about Clan Montgomery? If not, go to http://www.clanmontgomery.org/ They have a great online database. It appears that your line is in there--at least the line of Samuel Clemons. Yours may be too. Also information on the Montgomery DNA project.

Posted: 4 Oct 2005 8:29PM GMT
Surnames: LEWIS, MERIWETHER
Bowling Green MO about 1830, you report as home to some of your ancestors. Might they have interacted with the Lewises, Meriwethers, Minors, and others, who bought a good many acreas of land and settled there (Eolia) in the spring of 1835?

Posted: 4 Oct 2005 11:36PM GMT
The first Montgomery ancestor I know of was William (Nathaniel?) Montgomery who was born in PA and married Susannah Bayse in 1792 in Louisville KY. Her father had a landgrant in Missouri which included all the land around what is now Bowling Green. We suspect that they moved to that area around 1810. Their children who lived to adulthood all claim to have been born in KY. Their eldest son was my 4th greatgrandfather. He and his father were both named William. He was called Nathaniel. In the Bayse Family history it says that William and Susannah died childless, but it gives Williams birthdate as after he was married. The date is the same as that given on Nathaniel's headstone, as is the death date. Also family bibles which were handed down into the Henderson Family bear out these connections. Other families who married children of William and Susannah were those of Elijah Hudson, who married daughter Mary; Ravenscroft, the daughter of Thomas Ravenscroft, who married son John; Watson, the daughter of James Watson and first wife of Nathaniel; Martha Mitchell, the daughter of Willis Mitchell and 2nd wife of Nathaniel who was my 4th greatgrandmother. Except for the Watson marriage these all took place near Bowling Green in the mid 1820's to early 1830's. William died in Pike Co. in 1829 and his will was probated there. The son's moved to Clark Co. in the 1830's. Nathaniel died there in 1840. John and family along with the Hudson's moved to Caldwell Co. TX about 1850.

Alice Stewart & Dave Knoebel (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2005 3:56PM GMT
Perhaps your family sold their land grant acquired property to this family:

From Records of Lewis, Meriwether, and Kindred Families’ by Davis, Art Craft Press, Columbia MO 1951: ‘I am of the opinion that Walker Gilmer Meriwether and his brother Dr. Fontaine Meriwether came to Missouri while it was still a territory and lived on a portion of the immense tract of land they had purchased. The date given for their residence in Missouri Territory is 1819-1821. The reason given...was to properly authenticate their title to this land...(They) then returned to Virginia, and then returned to Missouri with their families in 1835.’ These migrants settled on ‘50,000 acres of land...at that time located in Pike County.’ ‘In 1855, they built St. John’s Episcopal Church at Prairieville, Eolia, Missouri.’ (P9-10) Elsewhere, there is mention of family members settling in Pike county, the border of Pinke and Lincoln counties, and the Bowling Green area of MO.

There are good historians in that area; I'll quit dabbling, but I thought you might use this information.

Posted: 6 Oct 2005 6:49AM GMT
This would seem to be correct. I am away from my home computer right now, but I know that Susannah Bayse's father sold the better part of their grant after the end of the War of 1812. I don't know the names of those who the land was sold to, but the parts that were still held by my family members in 1829 were closer to Lagrange on the northern edge of the county. William was buried in the Buffalo Cemetery which would have been located under what is now Lake Mark Twain on the Salt River. People have told me this cemetery was moved prior to the building of the lake in the 30's, but we have never been able to find out where it was moved to.
The Bayse's, including Susannah were very active in setting up the first Baptist church in the county. And Nathaniel Montgomery, the histories say, built the first courthouse.

Alice Stewart (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2005 10:01AM GMT
Thanks for the information. I'll add it to my files.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions