Search for content in message boards

Loudoun County Marriage License Information

Loudoun County Marriage License Information

Posted: 20 Jul 2005 2:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILSON/HOPE
I am in need of a marriage license for Nancy Wilson and Christian or Christopher Hope that married in Loudoun County, VA on April 4, 1797. Where would I write or call to obtain this license?

I am hoping that Nancy's father or mother made bond or some such thing so that I can determine her parents.

Any information would be appreciated.

Jane
Missouri

Re: Loudoun County Marriage License Information

Pat Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2005 2:47AM GMT
From "Loudoun Co Marriages 1757-1853" by Wertz:

Hope, Christian & Nancy Willson. m. 4 April 1797. Minister: John Littlejohn (Methodist).

The above is all the information that was provided on the marriage record.

Pat Duncan
p.duncan@worldnet.att.net

Posted: 20 Jul 2005 3:19AM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2005 6:33PM GMT
Thank you so much, Pat, for the information. Another brick wall on this Nancy Wilson.

This Christian Hope died and then this Nancy (Wilson) Hope married John B. Whitacre on June 20, 1833. Would you have information on THAT marriage license in Loudoun County, VA to know whether or not any Wilson family was mentioned on the license besides Nancy?
Jane

Pat Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2005 11:44AM GMT
From "Loudoun Co Marriages 1757-1853" by Wertz:

Whitacre, John & Nancy Hope, widow. Israel Dyer, bond made 20 June 1833. Shelburne Parish

From "Genius of Liberty" newspaper abstracts published with Northern Virginia Genealogy:
Vol. XVII, No. 26 – June 29, 1833
Married Sunday last by Gilmore, John Whitacre, aged 70 years, and Mrs. Nancy Hope, aged 55 years, both of Loudoun.

Pat Duncan

Sherry (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2005 1:38PM GMT
Surnames: Ramey/Remy
I am looking for a marriage for Thaddeus Matthew Remy/Ramey and Christina Stump/Stumpff married abt 1777
in Frederick Co., VA. Can anyone tell me where to look for that early marriage doc.?

Pat Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2005 2:09PM GMT
No marriage for either a Thaddeus Remy/Ramey or a Christina Stump/Stumpff is listed in "Frederick Co Va Marriages 1738-1850" by Vogt & Kethley.

Pat Duncan

Sherry (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2005 3:19PM GMT
Thanks Pat, I think I will need to check Fairfax Co for this marriage.

Pat Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2005 4:08PM GMT
There are no marriage records available for Fairfax Co prior to 1853. No mention of your couple in "Implied Marriages of Fairfax Co Va" by Hiatt and Scott.

It is always possible that the marriage was performed by a circuit rider minister who did not give his returns to the court.

Pat Duncan

Sherry (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2005 11:31PM GMT
Thanks so much for you help Pat. I appreciate it. I know you saved me alot of time searching. You seem to be very familiar with VIrginia information available. Maybe you can help me with another question. I found Thaddeus Ramey in SHENANDOAH COUNTY, VIRGINIA MINUTE BOOK
1791 - 1796
1794 May 14
- Thaddeus Ramey is summoned to show why his chidlren should not be bound out according to law. Do you know if it is possible to get further info on these Court Minutes. It would be nice to have the conclusion of those showing his children listed. Thanks again for your help and your time. Sherry

Pat Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2005 12:50AM GMT
I am unsure about Shenandoah County, but the minute/order books I have seen (Loudoun Co Va, Jefferson Co Va) are basically minimal information. Most of the entries are one or two lines. Even law suits normally did state what the case was, just the outcome or other such information. If the children were bound out, it may have been by the Overseers of the Poor, in which case there is usually another one line entry stating who they were bound out to. You might want to check later minute books in Shenandoah to see if any RAMEY children are bound out, although it may not indicate their parents.

You can get microfilms of most Va county records via Interlibrary Loan from the Library of Virginia. Check out their list at: http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whatwehave/local/local_rec/county_c...

Pat Duncan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic