Search for content in message boards

William Lawson Scottish Rebel

William Lawson Scottish Rebel

Dean Lawson (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2003 3:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lawson
I recently took a trip to do some genealogy and took a picture of William Lawson the Scottish Rebel's grave. This is in Snowflake, Scott County Virginia. Also right next to his grave is a William Lawson that fought in the Revolutionary war. Would like to place the pictures online where they could be shared, if someone has a site.
Dean Lawson

Re: William Lawson Scottish Rebel

Posted: 28 Aug 2003 2:57PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2003 2:29PM GMT
Are you a descendant of the Rebel? If so, how.
Thank you

Dean Lawson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2003 2:58AM GMT
No I am not related to the Scottish. I was doing some research in Virginia and found his grave. I thought someone might be interested in it.

Bill Porter (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2003 6:54PM GMT
Thanks for answering. The present stone was installed about 1985. The driveway to the cemetery was paved last month. A book on the Rebel is located in the public library in Gate City, VA.

Teri (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2003 1:45AM GMT
Surnames: Lawson, Falin, Bowen, Wallen
Do you have any other info regarding this William Lawson? My great grandfather was also a William Lawson but was born in the early 1850's. He also had sons named Andrew, William, Anderson, Hiram and Hugh. They lived in VA and also in Hawkins/Hancock county, TN. Any of this sound familar to you. I've hit a brick wall concerning this Lawson family and would greatly appreciate any info anyone would be willing to share. Thanks.

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 9:08PM GMT
Edited: 2 Dec 2006 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: Lawson, Gibson
The William Lawson that you are describing from Hancock County TN appears to be the son of Arriney "Rain" Lawson. He was born about 1835 and was actually the son of an unknown Gibson. Arriney and the unknown Gibson were divorced or she was widowed before 1840. William's grandmother was Elizabeth Lawson. They changed their name back to Lawson after 1850. William married Mary Ann Anderson, daughter of Elija Anderson, and has children Hugh, Eliza, Hiram, Andrew, Elizabeth, James, William and Anderson in the 1880 Census. They did not live in VA as far as I know unless it was after 1900.

Teri (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2003 10:37PM GMT
Thanks David. My grandfather had family in Scott and Lee county VA. He was buried in Pennington Gap, VA. I wasn't sure if these Lawsons were related or not because I didn't know his parents names or his grandparents names. They've been a difficult family to research. Thanks again. Teri

Posted: 22 Oct 2003 11:21PM GMT
There is no William Lawson of that age or anyone close to that age with those children in 1880 Lee, Scott or Wise Counties. Do you know where you William was living in any census? That would help pin down his ancestry. The fact that he had relatives in Scott, Lee or Wise counties doesn't really mean much since most Hawkins and Hancock residents did as well.

Teri (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2003 12:16AM GMT
Surnames: Lawson, Anderson
William lived in Hancock or Hawkins county, TN. However, his sons moved to Lee and Scott county, VA to live. My grandfather, Andrew, wanted to be taken back to Pennington Gap, VA to be buried but I never knew why other than my daddy saying his family lived there. Thanks for all your help. By the way, do you know where about in VA Elija Anderson and his father Thomas is from? Elija's daughter, Mary Ann married William but I don't know who her mother was. Thanks, Teri

Posted: 23 Oct 2003 12:54AM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Lawson, Anderson, Bowlin, Bunch, Gibson
So, William was Rain Lawson's son? Thomas Anderson, like most of the older Andersons, was from VA. I don't know anything about his wife. Since some of the children were born in VA that is most likely where they married in VA. The oldest Andersons came from Grayson County, but I believe they may have lived in Scott County as well. Elija Anderson was likely a cousin of Eli Anderson, and Eli was most likely the son of Jacob Lawson. They were both (Eli and Elijah) prosecuted for assault around 1830, and Thomas made bond for only Elijah. It will probably take a Gibson expert to figure out who Rain Lawson was married to between 1830 and 1840. My suspicion is that Rain's mother Elizabeth Lawson was a Bowlin, Bunch or Gibson since she lived next to them in 1830 and 1840. Now, Rain and William were Melungeon. There were listed as Mulatto in 1880 but not before that. The inconsistant listing of race is a sure sign of a Melungeon background. That is unlikely to be from the Lawson side since there is little evidence that any of the Lawsons were Melungeon except for the children of Mormon Lawson.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic